28 replies to this topic

#1 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

I've decided to come up with my own personal challenge of getting better with guass. I consider myself decent with lrm/ssrms/srms and missiles. Decent in that I can usually get 1-2 kills and 300-400 damage in a good game since I normally pilot lights.

This challenge will make me get use to going slow again and focus a lot more on positioning and map awareness. I play the lct and jenner too much so that under 120kph is slow as snot to me.
I'm thinking of using the panther 10-p for its 25% cd and range quirks and 20 to velocity. I don't think that the hbk gi which I have can match or beat that unless I re spec it.

PNT-10P Lgs is the build on the 10-p.

In game mech lab shows it has 2600 velocity and a lot of range.

Posted Image

Is there a better mech for guass and using it?

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

Quirks aren't everything here. The Hunchback GI is a much better choice than the Panther for gauss since you can bring a full sized gauss instead of a light gauss.

Better yet you could move on up to heavy mechs and run dual Gauss for even more effective builds. Jagermech could work well for that.

The JM6-S has 15% ballistic cooldown and 10% velocity quirks, its 10% lower than the panther's quirks, but you get two full sized gauss instead of one light gauss, so its way better.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6f8c21791978d82

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

Jager or go home.

#4 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

I love the ballistic Panther for what it is, but its rough to try to bring a full sized Gauss to town with one. I think the Blackjack (aka: Gaussjack) does a fair job, along with of course the HBK.

#5 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Try Roughneck 2A. High mount, 15% ballistic cooldown, backup lasers and MGs and tonnage to fit everything in. And durability quirks.

#6 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

JM6-S

https://kitlaan.gitl...99508&s=Weapons

60 Slugs of fun (after ammo skills) should last you the entire match (900 damage potential if you land each one at optimal range).

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Jager, Roughneck, Mauler, Warhammer. If you are looking for Gaussvomit, you can add in several other mechs like the Banshee.

#8 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostN0ni, on 20 August 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

JM6-S

https://kitlaan.gitl...99508&s=Weapons

60 Slugs of fun (after ammo skills) should last you the entire match (900 damage potential if you land each one at optimal range).

You probably shouldn't put gauss ammo in legs and head, it's not exploding. But rifles do, so you better put 3x0.5 gauss ammo into both arms, and put the rest wherever. But yeah, Jagger all the way.

Also I think OP want more speed, so better put in a larger XL to go fasta, and maybe 1-2xERML as a back up weapon, in case of low ammo, annoying lights. It's pretty much free of heat, so you'll probably be able to fire lasers non stop just on built in engine heatsinks.
About light gauss - I think it's kind of useless. Too heavy and too weak. Better throw in few extra tons and get a real gauss rifle. Lights are better with ERPPC anyway

Something like that
JM6-S

Edited by Zigmund Freud, 20 August 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#9 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Enforcer 4R is nice too with 5 ER medium lasers as backup weapons.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e9cd6ad3d0be05

#10 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 20 August 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

You probably shouldn't put gauss ammo in legs and head, it's not exploding. But rifles do, so you better put 3x0.5 gauss ammo into both arms, and put the rest wherever. But yeah, Jagger all the way.

Also I think OP want more speed, so better put in a larger XL to go fasta, and maybe 1-2xERML as a back up weapon, in case of low ammo, annoying lights. It's pretty much free of heat, so you'll probably be able to fire lasers non stop just on built in engine heatsinks.

Rarely ever get legged or headshot so i always put the ammo there regardless, no need to crit pad the gauss rifles in a Jager either since you're more likely to get shot in the ST because of the build... more often than not they will think "oh you're an XL build" hence the LFE so you can at least get off a few more hits. Speed is good enough to keep up and you get added survivability.

As for annoying lights, gauss them in the face. No need for backup lasers. Just my opinion.

#11 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Believe it or not, but I used to have a lot of fun and success running gauss in the Trebuchet-7K. No heat problems, good speed, good mobility, plenty of ammo, and since it's a Trebuchet most players don't know where to shoot you. The last point is important since the gauss rifle is in your XL side torso. Risky for sure, but I usually don't have too many problems with it. Just avoid direct enemy fire and it's fine.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd78149dbc430e1

#12 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostN0ni, on 20 August 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

Rarely ever get legged or headshot so i always put the ammo there regardless, no need to crit pad the gauss rifles in a Jager either since you're more likely to get shot in the ST because of the build... more often than not they will think "oh you're an XL build" hence the LFE so you can at least get off a few more hits. Speed is good enough to keep up and you get added survivability.

As for annoying lights, gauss them in the face. No need for backup lasers. Just my opinion.

I prefer to have at least some kind of back up in case of no ammo. For example you had a long game on alpines, and you're empty, so what, go home? No, with only 1 extra ton I can strap on a med laser and run around shooting thing, like I'm helping!
And I don't think there's any reason to be afraid of XL on build like this, if you loose ST on LE you're done anyway, and it's not like you have any weapons left in CT or head to zomby.

OP, if Jager is still too slow, maybe this will do it? HBK-4G

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

View Postocular tb, on 20 August 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

Believe it or not, but I used to have a lot of fun and success running gauss in the Trebuchet-7K. No heat problems, good speed, good mobility, plenty of ammo, and since it's a Trebuchet most players don't know where to shoot you. The last point is important since the gauss rifle is in your XL side torso. Risky for sure, but I usually don't have too many problems with it. Just avoid direct enemy fire and it's fine.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd78149dbc430e1

Gauss ERPPC was my prefered 7K build, I think it's still set up that way

#14 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

Warhammer 6R 2xGauss 4xERML, 4.5 tons ammo.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

I feel for its weight the Rifleman is a better platform than the Jager even though the Jager can move slightly faster and bring more ammo. The Rifleman has very good acceleration quirks for hill humping.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

Cougar-H. ;)

#17 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 20 August 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I prefer to have at least some kind of back up in case of no ammo. For example you had a long game on alpines, and you're empty, so what, go home? No, with only 1 extra ton I can strap on a med laser and run around shooting thing, like I'm helping!
And I don't think there's any reason to be afraid of XL on build like this, if you loose ST on LE you're done anyway, and it's not like you have any weapons left in CT or head to zomby.

If that's what works for you, then you do you... not gonna tell you otherwise.

Something a little more in the speed department (my personal favorite): SHD-2H

Comes with a base 15% Ballistic cooldown and 10% Ballistic Velocity buff, easy to spread damage on, high ballistic mount. Also, comes with a thrill of risk and reward, no there isn't a muffin button.

#18 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 20 August 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

OP, if Jager is still too slow, maybe this will do it? HBK-4G

I've had some good luck with this one. I've tried a few jag builds on the jad dd. Using the pan 10-p was pretty bad. On paper and in the screenie it looks good. It's just died a lot due to bad positioning or my bad luck of ending up in light vs light fights. I did have a meh match on dom grim plexis with it getting 150 damage in it but no kill shot. The hbk moving that fast was pretty nice too. Felt fast for a med.

The guass jag was more decent and worked well on where I could use inclines to take advantage of the high mounts. I don't have much jag time so the hbk came off more natural to me. So far it's been hard for me due to having to keep remembering about the charge mechanic and bad eyesight so I miss a lot of shots. I feel like I do more damage with the 2-3 meds than guass.

I tried the heavy guass on the shadow hawk for the lol factor. Managed to kill a linebacker with a few shots and he was livid in all chat giving me some nice salt that I sold. UI bouncing everywhere when you fire hguass gave me a headache so I went back to normal guass.

http://SHD-2D Lolhawk

#19 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

WHM-6R

EBJ-PRIME

NTG-PRIME

MAL-1P

DWF-W(C)

MAD-IIC-D

Just some Dual Gauss builds.

#20 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 20 August 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Enforcer 4R is nice too with 5 ER medium lasers as backup weapons.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e9cd6ad3d0be05

^^ my advice too

20% ballistic cooldown quirk is good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users