Should Kaiju Get Hardpoint Tweak?

20 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

Currently, the Kaiju is basically an energy version 000 King Crab, only it has 3E on each arm, and 2B on LT, and 2M on RT.

I found that to be rather problematic with Kaiju, as energy heavy builds usually have so much left-over tonnage while also could only fit a few amount of DHS. Builds that would also work far far better on lighter platform, especially that it has low-slung arm. And to top that all off, it goes pretty hot when you do.

As for the side-torsi hardpoints, not only you have limited amount of hardpoints, you also cannot put multiple major ballistic weapons as before. So even if you're incentivised to go large with ballistic weapons due to limited hardpoints, you also cannot put a lot of heavy ballistic weapons.

Same goes with the missile weapons -- you cannot put more than two SRM6As, that drastically limits its close range potential. And utilizing the lasers would mean it goes pretty hot, and is a disservice to brawling.

Posted Image

I propose a 2E both arms, 3B LT and 3M RT -- basically a mirror of the 000B instead. Having 4E still allows it to have 4x PPC for the stock loadout, while also improving on the torso weapons. You can go 3x SRM6A for brawl builds, 3x AC5 for long range builds, 3x LRM15A for ******** LRM builds.

POLL: https://mwomercs.com...ak-000b-mirror/

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 August 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:30 AM

its hardpoints look fine to me

theres plenty of other mechs with way worse hardpoints

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

View PostKhobai, on 21 August 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

its hardpoints look fine to me

theres plenty of other mechs with way worse hardpoints

"Look"?

Did you even bought one?

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:34 AM

"Look"?

Did you even bought one?

no I dont spend money on this game anymore. I just laugh at other people who spend money on this game and regret it later lol.

fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me.

but as far as hardpoints go the kaiju is still better off than a lot of other mechs like the catapult. I would rather see older mechs like the catapult, dragon, victor, etc... get prioritized for updated hardpoints.

Edited by Khobai, 21 August 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

View PostKhobai, on 21 August 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

no I dont spend money on this game anymore. I just laugh at other people who do and regret it later.

Exactly. And as a person who bought it, I have experience on what improvement it actually needs.

So whether it "looks" fine to you, in actual practice which i have, and you don't, it's not.

View PostKhobai, on 21 August 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

but as far as hardpoints go the kaiju is still better off than a lot of other mechs like the catapult. I would rather see older mechs like the catapult, dragon, victor, etc... get prioritized for updated hardpoints.

So what? Does catapult having it bad makes it so that this is actually good?

No, Kaiju is still in a bad spot. Stop putting out useless and irrelevant points. It's not doing anyone any good.

You wanna rant how those other mechs, go start another thread.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 August 2017 - 12:39 AM.

#6 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:39 AM

Kaiju has absolutely garbage hardpoints indeed. The least bad loadout I have found for it is 6 Large Pulse Lasers, but those are on the level of its toes and are hard to shoot at anything other than the ground.

Not sure which sort of improvement would not make it better than other King Crabs though, since they all suffer from fairly awkward hardpoints, and PGI probably doesn't want to make the hero the only good one. I just wish at least one of them would have had symmetrical hardpoint distribution between the side torsos.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

View PostKhobai, on 21 August 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

but the fact remains other mechs need help more

I wasn't even arguing that those other mechs don't need help.

And also the fact remains that Kaiju does need help still, and having other mechs in bad spots don't change that.

And another fact is that it's irrelevant to this thread. Go find another thread to bother, or make your own.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 August 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#8 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAt the Front, overextending, with no support

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:20 AM

I kinda like your idea there. Probably because I like to slam as many ACs on mechs as humanly possible and 3 AC5s on that high shoulder would probably be a lot of fun.

But at the same time, I think PGI won't change the Kaiju according to your suggestion.
They did change some mechs' hardpoint layouts every now and then after the community really asked for it, but I think these changes were always done before the mech got injected. It's easier to change something that isn't in the game yet.

And they would need to re-model the Kaiju. The third ballistic hardpoint in the shoulder would need to be modeled seperately.
The missile hardpoints would be pretty easy to do, since another variant already does it, and the third energy hardpoint per arm could just be deleted no problem.

That said, I don't think they will change the Kaiju to this.
But, you could suggest for your version to be added to the game, maybe as a standard version, or maybe loyalty mech at some point. Maybe even a new hero.
Again, I like the hardpoint layout you propose and I'd say you would find more support for it in the community. So maybe go at it from this angle.

Edit: Typos, typos everywhere.

Edited by FunkyT, 21 August 2017 - 01:21 AM.

#9 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:33 AM

nobody forcibly told you to buy those hero mechs so nobody should also tell PGI what to prioritize on what needs to be fixed.

the whole ecosystem of MWO does not revolve only on the Kaiju so even if it needs more improvement when it will tip the already shaken balance of the game I dont think that will be prioritize

#10 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

[mod]Posts unapproved.
Please keep on topic.
Every mech (for some pilots maybe even the Kodiak3) needs help in the eye of some people.
The topic here is the Kaiju, not other mechs.
Thanks![/mod]

#11 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

What I don't understand is why you bought the mech if the hard points were so much garbage. I mean the hard points were posted for at least a couple months, maybe more which should have allowed for a ton of theorycrafting prior to the Heroes being released and it isn't like it was a brand new mech where you didn't know about its hitboxes, agility profile, etc either. Also nothing has been nerfed since the mech was released and if anything it potentially got buffed by the new tech.

I guess my point is, you bought the mech with your eyes wide open so I am not sure how you can complain about it now.

#12 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

You can still do some decent builds on the Kaiju. Just don't do big on the energy hard points because you wont' have room for heatsinks. 6 small lasers work fine. Then put 2xLBX10 and some MRMs in and you are ready to go.

#13 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

Id rather see the Kaiju get something like this

LA/RA-2E/1M
LT/RT-2B 1M
CT-1 AMS

That way it gives you a way you can build a symmetrical build(something none of the crabs can do) And it would hopefully still give you enough room to mount enough heat sinks if you choose to boat big energy weapons,like HPCCs etc.

#14 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f49cf8f1b37c9b0

Whole sale bad ideas... enjoy. (those PPC's need chain fire)

#15 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostDr Hobo, on 21 August 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

Id rather see the Kaiju get something like this

LA/RA-2E/1M
LT/RT-2B 1M
CT-1 AMS

That way it gives you a way you can build a symmetrical build(something none of the crabs can do) And it would hopefully still give you enough room to mount enough heat sinks if you choose to boat big energy weapons,like HPCCs etc.

That would be genuinely amazing.

Honestly, probably too good compared to the c-bill KGC's.

View PostViktor Drake, on 21 August 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

What I don't understand is why you bought the mech if the hard points were so much garbage. I mean the hard points were posted for at least a couple months, maybe more which should have allowed for a ton of theorycrafting prior to the Heroes being released and it isn't like it was a brand new mech where you didn't know about its hitboxes, agility profile, etc either. Also nothing has been nerfed since the mech was released and if anything it potentially got buffed by the new tech.

I guess my point is, you bought the mech with your eyes wide open so I am not sure how you can complain about it now.

I bought it because I love the Crab and the King Crab and hoard them for entirely emotional reasons. I was perfectly aware that both Kaiju and Florentine were going to be bad, but it would still be nice if they could be better in the future. The 27, 27SL and 27B are still the only Crabs that carry their weight, but I sort of hope the heroes or any regular King Crab could some day not be bad.

#16 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostGagis, on 21 August 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

That would be genuinely amazing.

Honestly, probably too good compared to the c-bill KGC's.

I bought it because I love the Crab and the King Crab and hoard them for entirely emotional reasons. I was perfectly aware that both Kaiju and Florentine were going to be bad, but it would still be nice if they could be better in the future. The 27, 27SL and 27B are still the only Crabs that carry their weight, but I sort of hope the heroes or any regular King Crab could some day not be bad.

Perhaps offer a C-Bill variant with a similar loadout? It wouldn't be the first time that PGI made their own variant.

The Florentine *is* bad. Too light to do anything on it.

#17 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

View PostDr Hobo, on 21 August 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

The Florentine *is* bad. Too light to do anything on it.

I have had limited success with 2x LB10-X and barely enough leg armour, ammo and engine size.

#18 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostGagis, on 21 August 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

I have had limited success with 2x LB10-X and barely enough leg armour, ammo and engine size.

Im running dual RAC2s MRM 10 and 2 ML with an AMS backup and light ferro. Gonna test it out.

#19 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

If i ever buy a Kaiju i'd run it like this: KAIJU

Seems ok to me hardpoint-wise. 15 pinpoint damage per arm followed up by a 20 pinpoint AC20.

Can even run 6x MPL/1x AC20/2x Rocket Launcer 20 with LFE 330 + Endo.

#20 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

If the Kaiju gets a hardpoint tweak after its release, then it sets a precedent that other mech owners would use in crying for change to mechs they own. PGI has shown that they are willing to make a change to a mech's hardpoints before it is released, as seen with the Orion IIC hero.

I don't think they're going to open up that can of worms. In the mean time, in answer to your original question - No. It's a 100 ton mech with 10 hardpoints. Quite a bit can be tried with its layout before calling it sub-par.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users