Clan Pug Teams Should Not Be Gen Rushing

13 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

Seige mode is won by killing Omega, that is true, but there are plenty of times when you should not be gen rushing. Gen rushing basically gives the enemy free shots on you, and if you have two teams of equal skill, that pretty much decides the match. Clans are especially bad at gen rushing due to paper thin armor, poor hitboxes and lasers that run too hot. Unless you have a 12 man setup to gen rush, this is a bad idea.

I dont know why but i keep seeing clan pug teams being asked to gen rush. So you get pugs in all kinds of loadouts (including LRMs, ER ML boats, whatever) running in and getting stomped by pug IS teams that just spam assaults who get free shots on clan heavies at close range because they are all in the open trying to kill gens (and failing). This is especially pointless when facing a IS 12 man. What, did you expect that a IS 12 man would just let you shoot the gens? You aren't even shooting back, you are just making it easier for them.

You arent even rewarded for gen rushing unless you are in a unit and want your name on the planet so its completely pointless compared to going for kills.

#2 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

Ergo, your analysis is the reason very few people are playing the only game mode that contains the actual storyline of Mech warrior....

And, PGI needs a better profit system (less gameplay programming costs and higher micro-sales) to remain relevant I guess?? Think Solaris and if they implement it, the rest of the game will "go away" and into memory. New players seem not to want "lore" nor do they seem to care when I ask them... They want the most powerful mechs with the coolest "stuff" and that's about it.

I have to be careful, I've been "moderatred" and I'm cutting my gameplay down to <5 games a day in protest. FW isn't on the menu anymore; just no reason to play it.

#3 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

No one should be gen rushing, because it's the most f*cking boring thing to do.

If someone enjoys running past mechs and getting shot without shooting back, he might aswell play the "gauntlet" thing in the academy.

#4 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

It works if you do it right, your enemy is uncoordinated, and if you can place your shots, focus fire, and move fast.

We've done it before. Blitzed the opposition-fastest time to kill Omega was less than 4-5 minutes, and that was with wiping out the first enemy wave with minimal casualties.

It can be done.

#5 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

What? Not even try one of the two ways to win?

Your job is to destroy the turrets, then the gens and then Omega.

We have had games where we did not plan or want a Gen rush. But we go down by 12-15 mechs and that is how we won.

A WIN is a WIN, which is a WIN. Otherwise, it is a lost.

#6 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

Damn right.

You do what you need to by legal game mechanics to win.

Who cares how people feel? Just do it, and be done with it, and win!

Stuff the rest!

Edited by Commander A9, 25 August 2017 - 09:10 PM.

#7 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:20 AM

View PostCommander A9, on 25 August 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

It works if you do it right, your enemy is uncoordinated, and if you can place your shots, focus fire, and move fast.

We've done it before. Blitzed the opposition-fastest time to kill Omega was less than 4-5 minutes, and that was with wiping out the first enemy wave with minimal casualties.

It can be done.

That's not gen rushing, that's dunking the objective after crushing the enemy team's first wave.

#8 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:32 AM

Two pug teams of roughly equal skill, the clan team gen rushes and ignores mechs, the IS team is sitting iwth their usual assault spam and gets to dictate range + gets free shots on clan mechs without durability quirks...guess who wins.

If your pug team is wiping the IS first wave after charging in and can kill gens/omega before they respawn to stop you, there is a massive mismatch in skill and you could just kill omega after they run out of mechs anyway.

Im just tired of seeing clan pug teams being told to ignore mechs and go for gens which always results in IS assaults getting an all you can eat buffet.

#9 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hate to break it to you, but some IS teams specifically employ generator rushing to win.

Deal with it.

Who cares how you feel? Gen-rushing is a legal viable usable tactic. Adapt and overcome.

#10 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

The point though is that pug teams usually shouldn't. Not because it's not valid but because they'll fail.

I can agree with that. Some pug in a LRM Catapult isn't going to kill a gen.

Yes, gen rushing is a thing, but calling a pug team to gen rush is iffy.

#11 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 26 August 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Hate to break it to you, but some IS teams specifically employ generator rushing to win.

Deal with it.

Who cares how you feel? Gen-rushing is a legal viable usable tactic. Adapt and overcome.

This thread is about clan pug teams gen rushing, not IS 12 mans gen rushing.

Just lost another game today where it was very close...someone insisted on gen rushing, and we lost most of our assaults in the first wave. The IS assaults were having a field day firing pulse/SRMs under 200m on emerald taiga. The last wave was a bunch of clan lights vs IS mediums/heavies but the numbers were roughly even.

#12 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

The biggest mistake most teams make when gen rushing, specially pugs, is not clearing out mechs first before taking gens.

Smash the mechs shooting you then have free run with gens.

BTW, the numbers at the top of the screen telling you kill count doesnt always tell the truth of the situation..

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 28 August 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

The biggest mistake most teams make when gen rushing, specially pugs, is not clearing out mechs first before taking gens.

Smash the mechs shooting you then have free run with gens.

BTW, the numbers at the top of the screen telling you kill count doesnt always tell the truth of the situation..

As pointed out earlier, though, that isn't gen rushing. Gen rushing is abusing the fact that it is hard to kill 12 'Mechs fast enough to stop a coordinated bunch of them from just melting O-Gens.

I've commanded a few such drops myself. You take your armor, have a few out to squirrel, and everybody else just goes for the O-Gens. They body block each other, which forces you to drill through the hippies 'Mechs to get them all. It requires just as much coordination to counter as it does to pull off, possibly more.

#14 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 28 August 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

As pointed out earlier, though, that isn't gen rushing. Gen rushing is abusing the fact that it is hard to kill 12 'Mechs fast enough to stop a coordinated bunch of them from just melting O-Gens.

I've commanded a few such drops myself. You take your armor, have a few out to squirrel, and everybody else just goes for the O-Gens. They body block each other, which forces you to drill through the hippies 'Mechs to get them all. It requires just as much coordination to counter as it does to pull off, possibly more.

As much as I detest gen rushing personally, it is *not* abuse. And anybody that drops unprepared for possibly gen rushing or protecting against it, and then complains is someone that wants to limit the dimensions of an already limited set of win conditions simply because they want don't want to deal with a certain scenario.

Again, I don't like gen rushing, but if the rest of the team is on board (pug or otherwise) and you decide to bring a LRM80 Highlander while they are all in linebackers...

Edited by MovinTarget, 29 August 2017 - 07:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users