Your Chance To Pilot A Mech In Virtual Reality

12 replies to this topic

#1 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

Virtual Reality is still bad at First Person locomotion (thumbstick free locomotion is not great, and teleportation is totally immersion breaking)...

But when it comes to piloting a vehicule (plane, car...), or rendering scale (making a virtual tall building feel every bit as huge as it is in real life...) it really works great, which makes VR a perfect fit for a mech game.

Recently Archangel VR was released, but that was an on-rails mech game where you could only control the arms, not the legs.

This time this is a VERY SHORT demo (~5 minutes), of what it feels like to pilot a mech in Virtual Reality.

Spoiler : It's AMAZING Posted Image

Download link : http://store.steampo...R_The_Skirmish/

MWO probably isn't getting VR support anytime soon, but as PC VR headsets get progressively cheaper (summer promotions have temporarily put the Oculus Rift CV1 down to ~400$, before it hops back to ~500$), adding even a limited VR option to MWO's future "First-Person Mechbay" patch would certainly drop a few jaws :)

#2 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:37 AM

Hawken did the VR thing ages ago, or at least the original hawken, not the current devolved console port its been altered too once the new owners took over.

take notes PGI, check how popular hawken is now after it devolved before considering blindly changing your most popular gamemode to 8v8 or any other bad moves.

Edited by Methanoid, 25 August 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#3 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:37 AM

It's okay. It's pretty and immersive but it's also a demo and an advertisement. Like the game won't let you die until the cinematic ending, if you take critical damage the enemy mechs will just waltz around without firing.

I'm having way more fun with Metroid Prime VR.

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to Off-Topic Discussions.[/mod]

#5 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:58 AM

I miss the old Battletech semi-VR game of 25 years ago.

#6 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 25 August 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

It's pretty and immersive but it's also a demo and an advertisement.

Well as I said, it's a ~5 minute demo. And yes, interestingly it's a VR advertisement for a mobile game (not for a PC game).

So imagine adding a VR view to only the future "First-Person Mechbay" patch of MWO :
- Not a single gameplay or optimization change required to the main game. Not much updating required either.
- Instead of viewing a mech that's as tall as their screen, VR users would be viewing a mech that literally looks as tall as a building.
- It would certainly work as a VR advertisement for MWO, for both VR users and for press releases.

Another option would be to create the VR version of the "First-Person Mechbay" as a separate product, exactly like "Robot Wars" did for their mobile game. And in that case it's a one time project (once done, it's finished) that totally works as an add and doesn't affect MWO development at all.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 25 August 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#7 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

MWO has such a tiny playerbase that adding built in VR for an even smaller portion of that tiny playerbase would be meaningless, it also will not help new players arriving and staying with the game, also people have already used 3rd party VR tools to force the feature into many games that dont offer it as standard.

People have even used VRift/Riftcat to use their mobile phones as cheapo VR heatsets for PC.

Edited by Methanoid, 25 August 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#8 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostMethanoid, on 25 August 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

it also will not help new players arriving and staying with the game

At first it dumbfounded me why anyone would invest any amount of development resources into producing a VR add for their mobile game, that itself isn't in VR and isn't even on PC... Until I remembered I've already seen VR adds for motherboards and graphic card brands but also films, cars, furniture...

With this kind of "VR add" you're targeting ~1 million VR users equipped with a high end VR enabled PC more then able of running MWO, for less then the cost of a TV commercial.

And if you think none of them would stick around MWO before or after a "VR add" would put it on their radar, then consider me a statistical mistake :)

In the meantime I don't even game on mobile phones, but I'll be showing that mobile phone game VR add to my friends who don't own a VR headset, but do game on their mobile phone.

#9 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 25 August 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

At first it dumbfounded me why anyone would invest any amount of development resources into producing a VR add for their mobile game, that itself isn't in VR and isn't even on PC... Until I remembered I've already seen VR adds for motherboards and graphic card brands but also films, cars, furniture...

With this kind of "VR add" you're targeting ~1 million VR users equipped with a high end VR enabled PC more then able of running MWO, for less then the cost of a TV commercial.

And if you think none of them would stick around MWO before or after a "VR add" would put it on their radar, then consider me a statistical mistake Posted Image

In the meantime I don't even game on mobile phones, but I'll be showing that mobile phone game VR add to my friends who don't own a VR headset, but do game on their mobile phone.

VR or not the game s largely boring, confusing and simply unlikeable for new players, VR will do exactly nothing to make them play longer than they normally would b4 walking.

#10 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

I remember already posting this in Off Topic.

Anyway, MWO might be hopeless but MW5 presents a massive or golden opportunity to use VR, and that could certainly hype MW5.

War Robots VR looks like a totally new game from War Robots mobile. The skirmish demo looks to me like the War Robots developers are testing the waters for a true built for PC game, compared to the mobile game port they have on Facebook Gameroom and considering putting on Steam.

#11 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

I posted it in the General forum, and the moderators moved it to Off-Topic (where I never come check myself, which is why I couldn't have noticed your post).

Turns out they DID decide to Kickstart it : https://www.kickstar...-vr/description

But because they didn't link their demo to Kickstarter, and they made it sound like because it was a publicity for their mobile game, there would never never be a Kickstarter for it, nobody noticed it and even now (when I just noticed it), it's almost over.

I hope they make a second (short) demo to create the Buzz again, and this time tie it to a (second) Kickstarter, instead of tying it to their mobile game.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:50 AM

now if we would talk about the pixels and polygons they stole and return them, this VR might be interesting. But feeling like beeing stuck in the late 90's VR isn't going to do it.
Sega did vr in the 90's as well Posted Image

funnily while tech gets usually cheaper, neither size nor pirze were much higher back then.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 December 2017 - 01:55 AM.

#13 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

A bit of a stretch maybe, but if you are looking for a VR Mecha game you might take a look at VoxMachinae. They were creating that game from scratch to be played in VR and I myself have made a clip with my DK2 2 years ago for the chance to win the full game upon release. Now it's nearly finished and even in Steam Early Access (closed group). Here's the clip:

https://vimeo.com/117336524

Yes, Archangel for the oculus looks and feels awesome, but it's more of a shooting range game with predetermined moving patterns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users