Why Exactly Shouldn't I Be Able To Start A Match With The Same 'mech If It's In-Game?

80 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

It's not like the 'mech actually exists, the in-game model is just a copy. There's no real reason I can see that I shouldn't be able to, after dying or whatever circumstance, be able to play a new match immediately with the same 'mech. There's already a punishment for people who leave early, so what gives?

#2 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

There used to be a system in game whereby you needed to repair and rearm your mech before going back into battle. I suspect it has something to do with the server tracking the mechs' status in multiple games due to this.

#3 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostMadHornet, on 27 August 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

It's not like the 'mech actually exists, the in-game model is just a copy. There's no real reason I can see that I shouldn't be able to, after dying or whatever circumstance, be able to play a new match immediately with the same 'mech. There's already a punishment for people who leave early, so what gives?

Because if you die before you leave early, you don't get punished. It's to force people to actually try. There is a consequence in burning your mech early, especially in context of events. If you want to farm an event, they (PGI) do not want you to just run in, tag whatever it is for the event, die, and immediately rematch. They want you to actually try and participate.

While it is slightly annoying, there is good behavioral reasoning logic behind the decision. You'd see a lot more event farming without this mechanic in place, and that would ruin the gameplay experience for those actually trying to enjoy the match. After all, "what does it matter if I die? I got my objective, and can immediately use my favorite mech again! Weeee!"

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 27 August 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#4 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 August 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Because if you die before you leave early, you don't get punished. It's to force people to actually try. There is a consequence in burning your mech early, especially in context of events. If you want to farm an event, they (PGI) do not want you to just run in, tag whatever it is for the event, die, and immediately rematch. They want you to actually try and participate.

While it is slightly annoying, there is good behavioral reasoning logic behind the decision. You'd see a lot more event farming without this mechanic in place, and that would ruin the gameplay experience for those actually trying to enjoy the match. After all, "what does it matter if I die? I got my objective, and can immediately use my favorite mech again! Weeee!"

That can easily be worked around by either having multiple favorite 'mechs, or having two of the same. The greatest reason I have of playing the same 'mech immediately after I die in another match is working towards XP. It feels like a needless usage of time waiting for a team to kill the remaining Locust running around the map when I just want to play the game with the limited time I have to begin with.

#5 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

Most time is spent waiting for a match and all the bad programming to load. Not waiting for the Mech.

The "vehicle currently in battle" thing is taking from WoT (where you still actually have to repair and rearm) and probably left in game for immersion or sth. I'm OK with it.

#6 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

I honestly don't give half a crap about why the mechanic's in the game, I'm just glad that it's in. Mostly because it prevents hyper-efficient challenge farming.

#7 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostKuaron, on 27 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Most time is spent waiting for a match and all the bad programming to load. Not waiting for the Mech.

The "vehicle currently in battle" thing is taking from WoT (where you still actually have to repair and rearm) and probably left in game for immersion or sth. I'm OK with it.

Seems like an arbitrary reason and I the immersion really isn't worth the annoyance. At least they made sure you can actually mechlab the mech while in a match, which then defies the immersion again. So they should just get rid of it.

View PostCatten Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

I honestly don't give half a crap about why the mechanic's in the game, I'm just glad that it's in. Mostly because it prevents hyper-efficient challenge farming.

As mentioned above, you can just have multiple of the same mech so no, not really.

#8 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

The reason behind the mechs being locked into a match is because early on it was abused by suiciders as a quick way to earn C-Bills. They would take a mech into a match, run OOB or straight into the enemy team, die then immediately queue and do the same thing again.

This was waaaay before the report system too. (Beta)

#9 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostN0ni, on 27 August 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

The reason behind the mechs being locked into a match is because early on it was abused by suiciders as a quick way to earn C-Bills. They would take a mech into a match, run OOB or straight into the enemy team, die then immediately queue and do the same thing again.

This was waaaay before the report system too. (Beta)

But you could just jump into another mech back then too. So if that was the reason then it was a bad attempt. Especially since it bother legit players more than the farmers.

#10 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 27 August 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

As mentioned above, you can just have multiple of the same mech so no, not really.

Then you would need at least 2 of every 'mech. That's potentially a lot of Mechbays. Seems like good business.

#11 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 27 August 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

As mentioned above, you can just have multiple exact copies of the same mech so no, not really.
If you are going to the lengths to have multiple of the same mech-especially if it is a hero-then, yeah, it's still ineffecient. Because you wasted time and or money to have more of the same mech so that you could farm more money with the same mech.

This is taking into account the new skill tree, in which XP is not transferable. You'd need to completely reskill every mech that you get from the ground-up after the first unless you had oodles of historical XP. And even then you need some high CBill expenditure.

Edited by Catten Hart, 27 August 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#12 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

So...what's preventing you from working toward XP for two mechs at the same time?

#13 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

If you are going to the lengths to have multiple of the same mech-especially if it is a hero-then, yeah, it's still ineffecient. Because you wasted time and or money to have more of the same mech so that you could farm more money with the same mech.

This is taking into account the new skill tree, in which XP is not transferable. You'd need to completely reskill every mech that you get from the ground-up after the first unless you had oodles of historical XP.

Two urbanmechs are quite cheap and you'd do it to farm c-bills, not XP although you'd eventually also have that.

But it doesn't matter anyway because we can report them now.

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Then you would need at least 2 of every 'mech. That's potentially a lot of Mechbays. Seems like good business.

Yeah, but then the reason isn't to stop potential farmers or trolls. Then it's to force you to buy more mechs. For no damn reason.

#14 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

This is taking into account the new skill tree, in which XP is not transferable. You'd need to completely reskill every mech that you get from the ground-up after the first unless you had oodles of historical XP. And even then you need some high CBill expenditure.

It is kind of a bummer you can't transfer mech xp but there is gxp which does the same thing of letting you use xp on a mech for skills. I have a butt load of hxp on my founder cat and K2. I just use it to get all the 91 nodes,turn off a few and get more nodes for new builds on that one mech variant. I doubt I'll unlock every node on any of my mechs including founders as it would be wasted points since some of them go for things the mech doesn't have like ballistic nodes on Cat C1.

C-bills is the sink then. You've had to been a horder long before st or have ran a lot of pt to have a good pile of c-bills. I spent a lot of c-bills trying the civil war tech but now i'm eye-ing some new mechs that I can't afford. I'm even trying a few clan mechs and I dislike clans for a lot of reasons but mostly their longer laser burn times.

#15 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 27 August 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Yeah, but then the reason isn't to stop potential farmers or trolls. Then it's to force you to buy more mechs. For no damn reason.

Which brings us to the "this game promotes cautious behaviour" argument.

Live longer so you spend less time waiting for your 'mech to be available again, or buy more duplicates, or play another 'mech.

#16 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

No. You would be exploiting the system.

#17 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Which brings us to the "this game promotes cautious behaviour" argument.

Live longer so you spend less time waiting for your 'mech to be available again, or buy more duplicates, or play another 'mech.

That explains all the snipers and LRM boats in the back. So could we please remove this so people are more likely to play right?

#18 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 27 August 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

That explains all the snipers and LRM boats in the back. So could we please remove this so people are more likely to play right?

To clarify, I'm not (generally) bothered either way, just trying to figure out reasons why it's still in game after R&R was removed.

The only time it bothers me, is when a 'mech I literally can't buy again (because it just got released) gets obliterated because I turned the wrong corner.

#19 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

To clarify, I'm not (generally) bothered either way, just trying to figure out reasons why it's still in game after R&R was removed.

The only time it bothers me, is when a 'mech I literally can't buy again (because it just got released) gets obliterated because I turned the wrong corner.

And I'm just crossing out any that doesn't hold up. However knowing PGI it could be any of the bad reasons we discussed earlier, but then it's justifiable to want it removed.

#20 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 August 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Because if you die before you leave early, you don't get punished. It's to force people to actually try. There is a consequence in burning your mech early, especially in context of events.

^this

No farming allowed...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users