169 replies to this topic

#21 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:57 PM

Arty and Air Strikes are meant to break camping. Lets face it, camping is the meta in MWO now (and for a long time). And I am for anything that forces players to stop camping or punishes them.

Problem is that for heavier mechs, it is harder to escape. They should make the red smoke more prominent and have a longer lead time before the strike hits. Or maybe have an audio clip that goes, "airstrike / arty incoming on your location".

That will allow the strikes to still break campers but at same time allow people to run when needed or face the consequences.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 27 August 2017 - 10:57 PM.

#22 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

You can be proactive about addressing issues, or you can let negatively impact things until it finally does affect you... at which point it may be too difficult/too late.

Need to be able to look beyond your own nose with all this "there is no problem (because it doesn't affect me personally)

#23 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

anyone who uses 2 airstrikes/artillery strikes in a match is clearly compensating for something in real life

#24 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:06 PM

View PostAn Innocent Urbie, on 27 August 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

anyone who uses 2 airstrikes/artillery strikes in a match is clearly compensating for something in real life

A lack of arty strike calling ability in real life? :)

#25 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostAn Innocent Urbie, on 27 August 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

You pilot a 30 ton [Redacted] on legs Posted Image

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 30 August 2017 - 10:24 AM.
Nope, not going there.

#26 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Not sure if some posters here are criticising the price range.... But if you are: 80k is a significant risk also requiring additional skill outlay that could be spent on cool down, range, heat, speed, sensors. If you want to Make it more expensive to drop arty and see them become the bourgeoise flavour of the month, cbill warriors will use them exclusively. Make them cheaper and more open to everyone, watch the global use of arty skyrocket. Nothing wrong with them. Airstrikres are more effective imo but also easier to avoid due to linear nature. Arty is area of effect style, less effective vs single mechs but harder to avoid.

Again I see no real problem with their usage.

They are pesky in fp but groups I drop with just power through them. They're mostly a psychological shock and awe tactic (see within) unless you catch some potato meandering through choke points or sheeping like I see every day in E6 on tourmaline

#27 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

View PostGaden Phoenix, on 27 August 2017 - 10:57 PM, said:

Problem is that for heavier mechs, it is harder to escape. They should make the red smoke more prominent and have a longer lead time before the strike hits. Or maybe have an audio clip that goes, "airstrike / arty incoming on your location".

The main problem is that it is too easy to set an air/arty-strike. You only need to get out of cover for a split second set the air/arty-strike and go back in cover. If you need to hold a target laser on the location of the air/arty-strike till the last bomb/shell is dropped you could still use the air/arty-strike to drive a passive team out of cover but it would be much harder to troll someone with it or abuse it.

#28 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

View PostqS Sachiel, on 27 August 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

They take no slots, no tonnage, and can be bought for money. They're pay to win. They're BS and something needs to be done to nerf the crap out of their use

If you don't see any of that, get to an ophthalmologist immediately

Edited by InfinityBall, 27 August 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#29 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

<in the voice of Russ> "According to our top secret, infallible, air-tight, data mined spreadsheets that are tailored to fit our misguided vision, strikes are working as intended and we (PGI and myself) should be given 'kudos' for doing an absolutely excellent job." Yeah. Posted Image

But really guys, use the "W" key. Only campers and assaults need to worry about strikes.

#30 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

View PostJingseng, on 27 August 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

A lack of arty strike calling ability in real life? Posted Image

inadequate people

#31 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 27 August 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

What happened to the global cooldowns on those things?

Also why is the enemy team launching strike after strike at a Mist Lynx? I don't doubt it happening, but dang, you'd think the enemies would have some sense to use those strikes on targets that they'd hit rather than barely graze after 3 of them.

I get people targeting strikes on me every single time I drop my lights, whether they're fast and jumpy or slow and... not. They're hoping for a quick, easy kill on something weakly armored, and the math is in their favor even if the strike doesn't always hit. It's a gamble on knocking a 'Mech out, which can change the game if it works and only costs 40k cbills if it whiffs. Carrying two strikes means that any given player has the luxury of wasting one on a dice roll because they can dump their other one into the deathball to recoup the lost cbills if the first strike fails to yield a hard kill on the light they were trying to splatter.

If absolutely nothing else, it forces the light pilot to abandon whatever it was they were hoping to accomplish right there and then, which could very well mean that light pilot doesn't lay out a strike that would have killed one or more of your own team's 'Mechs, or a UAV that reveals your team's position. By the time they can reposition for another attempt, your teammates could be less vulnerable... and that's worth 40k even if it does whiff.

#32 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:10 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 August 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

But if you are good, then that risk that you have a match with a bad payout is small.

But if you are good, then that risk that you have a match with a bad payout is small.

Double quote

Also I know if a player does good the payout will be average, but that if the player's skill is good an average player it'll be either a medicore or bad payout and start taking it's toll. I had matches where start losing money then gaining just because I use too many strikes and coolshots.

#33 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:31 AM

Not sure if some posters here are criticising the price range.... But if you are: 80k is a significant risk also requiring additional skill outlay that could be spent on cool down, range, heat, speed, sensors. If you want to Make it more expensive to drop arty and see them become the bourgeoise flavour of the month, cbill warriors will use them exclusively. Make them cheaper and more open to everyone, watch the global use of arty skyrocket. Nothing wrong with them. Airstrikres are more effective imo but also easier to avoid due to linear nature. Arty is area of effect style, less effective vs single mechs but harder to avoid.

They are pesky in fp but groups I drop with just power through them. They're mostly a psychological shock and awe tactic (see within) unless you catch some potato meandering through choke points or sheeping like I see every day in E6 on tourmaline

Anyone willing to blow the skill points on strikes doesn't see the cbill cost as a "risk".

That is why it is a cbill sink.

#34 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

The problem is you make 2 false assumptions. The first being that 80k is actually a lot of money. Sure when your just starting but after some playtime 80k is nothing and it's not hard to recoup that investment since strikes do becoup damage. And number 2 is assuming those strike skills aren't some of the best points you can spend in your tree. Nothing has as big a return per point.

#35 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 August 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

you know this is an interesting concept.

maybe modify it a bit though, lights have faster cooldown and the ability to use 2.. Larger mechs have slower global cooldown, and the ability to use only one

you could even make that cooldown increase after using an airstrike so the next one takes 10 seconds more to cooldown than the first, 20sec for the 3rd etc. but zero c/d change for using a diff type of consumable.

#36 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

View PostInfinityBall, on 27 August 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

They take no slots, no tonnage, and can be bought for money. They're pay to win. They're BS and something needs to be done to nerf the crap out of their use

If you don't see any of that, get to an ophthalmologist immediately

No.
if you're paying MC ($) for them your'e an idiot. No if's what or but about it. They are Cbill consumables. They are not pay to win. If you want to throw your real money down the drain on damage then so be it.

They also restrict you from other options such as UAV and coolshot.

They require a skill point outlay which could be spent on other masteries.

do your homework.

View PostLucian Nostra, on 28 August 2017 - 04:51 AM, said:

The problem is you make 2 false assumptions. The first being that 80k is actually a lot of money. Sure when your just starting but after some playtime 80k is nothing and it's not hard to recoup that investment since strikes do becoup damage. And number 2 is assuming those strike skills aren't some of the best points you can spend in your tree. Nothing has as big a return per point.

I'll concede 80 is not that much, given supporter pack, hero mech and a premium time (or just one/two of those) then you're making good money most of the time. Coupled with other consumables though like coolshot (many of my mechs require) then that's 120-160k. big price.

Also you're assuming that those strikes are hitting. If they are then they're being placed well (skill). This is generally amplified by most receivers being pokey non agressive mechs who do not want to reposition (arguably poor skill) or retreat behind a position only to stop (definitely poor skill).

I'll argue that coolshot and uav are as effective though perhaps not as immediate a payout (coolshot more so).

Edited by qS Sachiel, 28 August 2017 - 07:19 AM.

#37 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Air strikes are not pay2win, they are grind4advantage.

They're fine. Excellent area denial. Great for when you literally need to "pop smoke" to retreat from a bad situation.

Stay mobile and smash your own arty button.

#38 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Actually, "strikes" are neat tools to use ! For me, they rarely destroy a mech, but, they sure can "motivate" a deathball into not being so close to each other, whom are waiting around for some magical que to club noobs into the quintesessance of dust..........

I'd like to see an expansion into the Arrow missles and Long Tom weapons.... That way, IDF becomes a combat multiplier significant enough to change gameplay stagnation.

#39 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 27 August 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

More likely a sign of players having far too many cbills sitting in their accounts. The vets who play hours a day every day sit around with hundreds of millions of cbills at any given time and enough mechs to drive a new one each day of the year.

Damn. Who would have thought that actually "playing" the game would end up being such a terrible thing to do to others! Maybe PGI could "Purge" all those Vet accounts and make them start fresh. Wonder how long before the "whining" about "Strikes" hitting those "Poor" players started back up again.. Posted Image

One has gotta love this place... :)

Edited by Almond Brown, 28 August 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#40 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Use of consumables in any form is totally unfair to the new guys in trial mechs that can't use them. Either get rid of consumables altogether in QP, or find a way to separate the ones that can use them from the ones that can't.

Oh, wait...PGI....nevermind. Both are impossible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users