Airstrike Warrior Online Must Stop!

169 replies to this topic

#41 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Strikes are the hand grenades of giant robot warfare, and they get spammed because they're effective, especially if an enemy team grinds to a halt.

And they won't get significantly nerfed. The purpose is to be a carrot leading you to spend C-bills rather than the stick of repair/rearm, and players bite. Especially once it becomes socially uncouth NOT to "contribute" by being a cheapo no-striker/UAV'er.

#42 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

And sometimes, the "W" key is not strong enough hax.

https://clips.twitch...iniRiPepperonis

#43 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Most maps having only a few well known routes & choke points makes it easy to guesstimate target locations for strikes.

#44 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostExilyth, on 28 August 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Most maps having only a few well known routes & choke points makes it easy to guesstimate target locations for strikes.

(my team) "Where are you going? Stick with the team!"
(Me) "It's Mining Collective, dude. I'd rather not eat 3 airstrikes in the center alley. Again."
(my team) "Noob." -- proceeds to eat 3 airstrikes in a group.

(Me) -- off to the side, launches his first airstrike to nail 2-4 enemy mechs that can do absolutely nothing about it.

Fun. Interactive. On another note, dropping airstrikes as a routine game mechanic was absent from table top battletech, and in the single player Mechwarrior games it kinda wasn't there either. It's in this game, and it's solely in as a Cbill sink to reward whales. The impact arty / air strikes has is too high with the skill tree boosts for investment made, and there's not much else to say about it.

Edited by FireStoat, 28 August 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#45 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Ok folks, how many of you who have no issues play Assaults all the time? 1? 2? No? Ok I see you're in Lights, mediums and some Heavy's too. Yes you can get out of a pickle situation once you know your in a air strike. But a slow assault? Not so easy. I play assaults and it's a problem and the folks who use airstrikes know assaults are easier to target. It's a 50-50 situation IF and I mean IF I know I am in an airstrike zone.

The worst was last week, I got not one, but three airstrikes in rapid succession one after the other. I survived all three, but I was a basket case armor wise and all it took was a small or medium laser hit to destroy my engine. All this less than 100 damage points I inflicted. Oh ad tis was the Polar map where you cant hide anyplace out in the opening.

What's the point of playing MECHWARRIOR which your supposed to be fighting other Mechs when your hammered by the airstrike abuse? If we leave the airstrike alone, then give us the ability to fight back against the incoming strike craft like in MW4.

#46 Formosa The God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

only on lights and only if target is tagged :P

#47 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

View PostFormosa The God, on 28 August 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

only on lights and only if target is tagged Posted Image

i recall (i think) some games like Project IGI2 you had to hold a laser designator on a target to call in an airstrike, pretty sure ive played other games as some support character than can do the same, that does seem more sensible and gives at least 1 class of mech a role, heck id even prefer if lights are the only ones able to designate airstrike targets but heavy/assault mechs are the ones able to choose to use their airstrike consumable at the light mechs request, they could use them themselves but would require far far longer to initiate and cooldown if done alone.

A lot complain of lights using airstrikes to easily soften mechs then blow em to sheds with laser/MG combos, at least that way everyone cant spam airstrikes as they please.

#48 waterfowl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Had a match on Grim Plexus where my armor was removed and I was taken down to orange structure by three or four air strikes placed behind rocks so I couldn't see them.

This has always been a problem.

12 air strikes per team is stupid. Throw in skills that let you equip more than one and it's super stupid.

They to be changed, maybe longer cooldown, like 3 minutes. Also another second or two delay.

Another thing that would help would be an audio cue depending on how close you are to the impact zone. An alarm sound effect, followed by "Incoming artillery on your position". Because it's mostly the hidden smokes that are ******* BS

Edited by waterfowl, 28 August 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#49 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

View Postwaterfowl, on 28 August 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Had a match on Grim Plexus where my armor was removed and I was taken down to orange structure by three or four air strikes placed behind rocks so I couldn't see them.

This has always been a problem.

12 air strikes per team is stupid. Throw in skills that let you equip more than one and it's super stupid.

They to be changed, maybe longer cooldown, like 3 minutes. Also another second or two delay.

Another thing that would help would be an audio cue depending on how close you are to the impact zone. An alarm sound effect, followed by "Incoming artillery on your position". Because it's mostly the hidden smokes that are ******* BS

t ostart they need to:
1. Limit to 1 per mech
2. Greatly reduce the range you can deploy it.
3. longer cooldown
4. Add in some other mechanic to deploy it other than just mashing a button while pointing at something. Make them use a tag laser and stand ther for a few seconds. Make it possible mean something to the user. they need to give away their position while trying to deploy it. Something.

interesting you bring up an alert. Look at Narc, people cried and cried about not know they were narc'd so now they tell you somewhat deafing the purpose of narcing people. I don't see why there can't be some kind of alert then for arty.

Edited by Bigbacon, 28 August 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#50 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 28 August 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

t ostart they need to:
1. Limit to 1 per mech
2. Greatly reduce the range you can deploy it.
3. longer cooldown
4. Add in some other mechanic to deploy it other than just mashing a button while pointing at something. Make them use a tag laser and stand ther for a few seconds. Make it possible mean something to the user. they need to give away their position while trying to deploy it. Something.

interesting you bring up an alert. Look at Narc, people cried and cried about not know they were narc'd so now they tell you somewhat deafing the purpose of narcing people. I don't see why there can't be some kind of alert then for arty.

Again, none of these make the airstrike a more impulsive, simple method of spending C-bills...and that's why there's a consumables tree and it's so rewarding to put points into it.

That's the entire purpose of why strikes are good. They want you addicted to enjoying throwing C-bills at people, thereby making us push each other into lobbing red smoke, UAV's, etc. in order to get that winning advantage.

Limiting the number or more cooldown means less people can spend consumables in a match.
You could reduce the deployment range. Frankly, I only see super-ranged shots on Alpine or possibly Polar, most are fired within weapon range. You could even give people a warning or just have a visible trail from striker to target point.

But the spam will not cease. PGI wants us addicted to redsmoking.

#51 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

Airstrikes need severe nerfs or done away completely. I'm a mobile medium/heavy mech player and strikes had never been much of an issue but i can clearly see how its a serious problem for Assaults, who already have the most problems in this game. Besides its mechwarrior, lets focus on mech to mech combat.

#52 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 27 August 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

These damn things never bothered me till today but OMG..

nothing but strike after strike after strike today, every round...I have never once seen it this bad.

Aaaaaam... welcome to a modern battlefield?

Learn to dodge the red smoke?

The only thing that needs to be nerfed about air strikes and consumables in general is the price.. 40K is too much when you can field 5 of them, and if you use them all, and do great in a match without premium time, you still loose cbills?!

Edited by Vellron2005, 28 August 2017 - 11:33 PM.

#53 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

It's just light mechs that should be able to call them in. Having a possible 24 strikes per side is just stupid. I think most of the players here have been blinded by about 5 red smokies at the breakpoint.

BF2, the commander's role was so important he didnt have time to "play" but only manage, I loved doing it and it was actually fun boosting your team to win. You can't really do that in this game but you can still adjust it. It gave unlimited time based access to 3 things; artillery strike (that was basically a long tom which was way too OP but it's a re-spawn game), UAV, and a supply crate (limited health/ammo).
This game should copy that and provide the commander just a one shot artillery (to disperse campers/snipers), a radar sweep, and a repair/rearm bot IMO.

#54 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:58 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 28 August 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Aaaaaam... welcome to a modern battlefield?

Learn to dodge the red smoke?

The only thing that needs to be nerfed about air strikes and consumables in general is the price.. 40K is too much when you can field 5 of them, and if you use them all, and do great in a match without premium time, you still loose cbills?!

You are so close to figuring this one out. So close. I don't want to spoil the reveal for you, but... oh, what the hell:

PGI wants you to spend all your in-game money on consumable spam. If your cbill income is eaten up by consumables, then you're more likely to run premium time and pay realbucks for everything else. If they reduced the price per consumable, that would defeat the whole purpose of having the stupid things in the game to begin with.

#55 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 28 August 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Fun. Interactive. On another note, dropping airstrikes as a routine game mechanic was absent from table top battletech,

Well, technically it was there, but you paid for it in cbills that could have been used to deploy more forces (employer support). Or alternatively had to actually field the artillery tank/aero which can get wasted by the enemy. Posted Image. This is why i'm for tying consumables to equipment that has to be loaded in your mech for tonnage/crit.

#56 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:42 AM

Would be nice if airstrikes and arty took longer to arrive the further from your teams 'home' map edge/corner you are (just like in TT: The time until artillery shells arrived depended on the number of mapsheets between the artillery unit and the target).

#57 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:49 AM

View Postrollermint, on 28 August 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Airstrikes need severe nerfs or done away completely. I'm a mobile medium/heavy mech player and strikes had never been much of an issue but i can clearly see how its a serious problem for Assaults, who already have the most problems in this game. Besides its mechwarrior, lets focus on mech to mech combat.

I can appreciate this coming from someone who's seen airstrikes have their way with them, but your post makes no sense.
"I've never experienced it personally, but i definitely think they should be removed or severely nerfed. Also, i can completely appreciate how the mechs built to take the most punishment possible, will receive the most damage possible in a match, also from airstrikes."

wat
Spoiler

what my lancemates feel
Spoiler

what my enemies feel
Spoiler

what i feel
Spoiler

what brown sea feels
Spoiler

What actually happens
Spoiler

#58 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

I've been reading posts now for a few weeks and there is a common thread:
  • Let's nerf, degrade, or remove anything that inhibits walking up to an enemy mech at point blank range and brawl till someone wins. That's MW reason for existance after all....
Get rid of maps; get rid of all long range weapons; get rid of stealth; get rid of long range missles; get rid of mobilty and agility in mechs; get rid of players who "just don't get it"; and, this game must be, above all things fair...... Seriously?

If we keep getting rid of stuff, what's left??? FP is dead. QP is a mess. MW5 is a "maybe". Solaris is a hope for those who want a kinder, gentler and vastly smaller and simplier game.

Strikes are just part of the game and should be left alone and all of the nerf, balancing passes, tweeks and changes that have degraded MWO weapons and mobility need to be re-thought and that functionality returned..... In may cases, it's what we purchased and, overall, it's what MW is suppose to be: a lethal and dangerous place, no matter where we drop..... Just my opinion..... (please, let's be civil.....we're all players here)

Edited by Asym, 29 August 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#59 C4NC3R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

Posted Image

#60 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

View PostAsym, on 29 August 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

I've been reading posts now for a few weeks and there is a common thread:
  • Let's nerf, degrade, or remove anything that inhibits walking up to an enemy mech at point blank range and brawl till someone wins. That's MW reason for existance after all....
Get rid of maps; get rid of all long range weapons; get rid of stealth; get rid of long range missles; get rid of mobilty and agility in mechs; get rid of players who "just don't get it"; and, this game must be, above all things fair...... Seriously?

If we keep getting rid of stuff, what's left??? FP is dead. QP is a mess. MW5 is a "maybe". Solaris is a hope for those who want a kinder, gentler and vastly smaller and simplier game.

Strikes are just part of the game and should be left alone and all of the nerf, balancing passes, tweeks and changes that have degraded MWO weapons and mobility need to be re-thought and that functionality returned..... In may cases, it's what we purchased and, overall, it's what MW is suppose to be: a lethal and dangerous place, no matter where we drop..... Just my opinion..... (please, let's be civil.....we're all players here)

the perfect game:
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users