13 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

So the Thanatos has a lot going for it -- ECM, optional jump jets, 75t heavy, high engine cap, reasonable hardpoint distribution and a bunch of other pleasant bonuses, but what could be the crippling curse that it suffers, you ask?

That giant torso. No joke, that torso is very likely to be the deathblow if the hitboxes for the CT and side torsos are distributed poorly. It's also possible that the mech could suffer from the age-old problem of getting shot in the back -- from the front.

I also presume it won't have really any quirks going for it on launch since it's the top of its weight class and has a lot of nice features.

Other than that -- I'm excited for its release, since it will be extremely versatile from a pure numbers standpoint.

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

If they learnt at all from the initial Uziel release, they'll make the hitboxes risky yet workable, or it'll have some durability quirks. The way I see it is the vulnerable hitboxes would be a way to balance out all the other good things going for it, since power creep is still definitely a thing. Just hopefully they don't go too overboard (again, like the poor Uziel)

#3 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:16 AM

This was my primary mech in earlier MW games. I've watched the early adopters count-down and despartly wanted to add this mech to the "favorites" barn, so to speak....

Unfortunately, there are hundreds of us in MWO, some old, some new like me, that will not spend another penny.

I lived through what happened to the Night Gyr. Saw what is happening to the Uziel; another all time favorite of mine. And, I just won't spend the $$$ to be fooled again.

Sorry. We must end the "balancing" and return to us all that was taken before we spend another penny and that includes MW5.

Food for thought.

#4 Rychtygg

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHemet California

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

I'm excited to see the Thanatos drop, I like the lore, I've thought up some interesting builds, and I tend to run faster, stealthier mechs.

I get what you mean Asym, I've spent a lot of money too, and I've seen a bit of the balancing mismanagement, but I'm still paying less than a dollar an hour for a game that I really enjoy, that has brought all of the awesome mecha of my childhood come to life. YMMV, but I'm stoked to see what happens next, particularly with this beastie.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

As every Thanatos variant features ECM you can expect them to have zero to none quirks. PGI values ECM higher then it actually is.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

<script></script>

I'd say this is more ***** than LORE.

An error occurred
[color=#EEEEEE]

post_too_short

[/color][/center]

#7 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yyyyyup.

Here's my prediction:

Posted Image

Keyword: prediction.

Some of the side torso could be converted to arm hitbox, but that won't help.

Edited by Tarogato, 09 November 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

If they encroached the hitbox of the arms to cover the entire 'side' of the side torsos. Then at least you could twist away from damage and shield reasonably well with your arms. Otherwise hope for armor quirks. Because structure quirks aren't worth much anymore. Or both. With cherry crit reduction on top?

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

Well...see the Nightstar.
A mech that should have been meta on drop has been made lower medium tier due to less than poor translation from TT due to adding features absolutely no illustration of the Nightstar (except some non canonical rule of cewl pics from deviant art) shows. It should be a very compact, lean, slick mech.
Instead they managed to pump up an avian mech to balloon sice.

Now think of the MadCat MKII. A mech that was realy realy poor in previous titles has been made one of the best assaults currently in game by leaving his most prominent features out. Big ears and LAAAAARGE BROOOOOAAAAADDDDD Arms and silhuette.

You see, everything is possible.
As long as it is a Clan Mech.
And the Tanatussi is not Clan.

Edited by The Basilisk, 09 November 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

View PostTarogato, on 09 November 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Yyyyyup.

Here's my prediction:

Posted Image

Keyword: prediction.

Some of the side torso could be converted to arm hitbox, but that won't help.

My prediction is roughly the same with the following changes.

Armhitbox expands to the outer plate of the side torsos. This causes 60% damage reduction to that part of the St even after the arm is gone.

Side torsos expand a little farther inward, discouraging the use of XL engines. This significantly increases its non-XL utility. And infuriates XL users, putting the high speed at high risk.

Leg hitboxes replace the ST hitboxes on the pelvis, leaving only the CT hitbox on the pelvis.

The rear STs consume some of the visible STs from the sides, this puts a split in between but makes the mech easier to core out from the back, causing you to gauge how much armor to put on the front compared to the back.

Head hitbox seems spot on. Though I think it is interesting to note that post skill tree, mechs may actually benefit from larger head hitboxes... I'm quite serious.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 November 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Well...see the Nightstar.
A mech that should have been meta on drop has been made lower medium tier due to less than poor translation from TT.

Now think of the MadCat MKII. A mech that was realy realy poor in previous titles has been made one of the best assaults currently in game.

You see, everything is possible.
As long as it is a Clan Mech.
And the Tanatussi is not Clan.

You sure?
I found the Mad Cat MK II to be a pushover with high firepower options and very low damage tolerance. It also lacks advanced control compatability from what I seen (unless there is an option for lower arm actuators that I don't know about).

Nightstars have their own curse, however I find them comparably better. They make up for their lack in firepower with durability... unless dumb enough to go XL.

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 November 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

[...]

You sure?
I found the Mad Cat MK II to be a pushover with high firepower options and very low damage tolerance. It also lacks advanced control compatability from what I seen (unless there is an option for lower arm actuators that I don't know about).

Nightstars have their own curse, however I find them comparably better. They make up for their lack in firepower with durability... unless dumb enough to go XL.

The MadCat MK II 4, A and B have lower arm actuators, while the 4 and A have energy hardpoints in their arms, the B has 4 ballistics.
I'm not sure though why you would spoil such a mech with room consuming actuators when you could mount large ballistics instead.
Also the fact you can use XL engines up to 400 rating in your MadCat without forgoing much in terms of durability makes it supperior right at the start.
Further its frontal silhuette is just as big as the Uziels...a 40t lighter mech.
The Nightstar silhuette is areawise bigger than the Banshee....its just hillarious for an avianoid Battlemech.
An other problem of the nightstars is their often onesided equipment. Shoot at the very large side torso and you could have mounted an XL...you won't make much more dmg anyways.
Actually I can not find any advantages of the nightstar anymore that are not in a way spoiled that renders them irrelevant.
Not only it is big and vulnerable its broad arms make it completely unsuitable in closer confines endangering your teammates and robbing you all too often of your biggest weapons because you fire them into some building or corner.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Arm actuators with ballistic weapons. :P

#13 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

i hate my thanatos
i hate it so much

#14 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

View PostKarl the Plumber, on 16 November 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

i hate my thanatos i hate it so much

Calm down man, the Thanatos isn't a bad mech, but I would not call it a front line heavy more of a support heavy. Besides the worst thing PGI did was release a new map and have the thanatos challenge at the same time which made the learning curve for the mech far more difficult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users