8 replies to this topic

#1 Khulod

Rookie

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:09 AM

Hi all,

I'm working on building my first FW deck (clans). I own a few mechs and bought the Kodiak package. currently I perform really well on the KDK-3 4xC-LBX-10-X, and I decided that it should be the cornerstone of my FW dropdeck. Now, I know a 100-ton mech is not a good choice. I really do. Point is, I don't have the cbills yet to buy 3-4 brand new mechs and I'm doing damn good on that Kodiak when I take it to pug FW games. So for now I want to build around the KDK-3. And I want your help!

Other clan mechs I have are a Nova-s and a TBR-C (and some other Kodiaks but that doesn't fit). What would be some good additions? Also in light of perhaps dropping the KDK when I grinded enough Cbills?

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:50 AM

Arctic cheetah is always a solid light. plenty of hardpoints even with the ECM...

#3 _Casper_

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

Yup, go with the Cheetah, a Splattdog and your Nova and you have an accetable dropdeck for half of the maps and situations. But i would strongly recommend to get rid of the Kodiak asap unless you drop siege/defence on some maps like Emerald Taiga or maybe Vitric Forge. Imo the 65t segment is the most efficient for clans. 3x65t (Hellbringer and/or Ebon Jags) + one 45t of choice or something like 2x65t, 60t, 50t does well for me. The next cbill clanmech sale will come :)

#4 Memnon Valerius Thrax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 766 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

why you think a 100t mech isnt a good choise?
its ez to make 1200+dmg with one KDK3.

ATM i would go for a Mystlinx, a good medium (SHC,HBK), a Cat MKII, and a Timber or NG.
Depends on the map. If you make your 2000+ dmg it dosnt matter what mechs you drive.

#5 _Casper_

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostMemnon Valerius Thrax, on 03 September 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

why you think a 100t mech isnt a good choise?
its ez to make 1200+dmg with one KDK3.

You are just too slow to get into the fight and to reposition. The risk is too high to waste 100tons if you get pushed or find yourself in a bad spot. On attack or when ppl nascar like they are used to from qp a slow assault is easily left behind. Especially a 100tons lbx build is pretty situational. If you are dropping with a team you are ok i guess but i would not generally recommend slow assaults in pug matches.

#6 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

Also, if you are the *only* kodiak, they will all focus you down in a heartbeat.

Edited by MovinTarget, 03 September 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#7 Khulod

Rookie

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

My experience exactly. Still, on the defense maps I do pretty well with it. Still, I've had one game where I immediately got headshot by a lucky hit, and that's 100 tons instantly gone, a loss you keenly feel.

I got the Arctic Cheetah and have not regretted it. Funny little mech. I got Baradul's 6xMG,2xERML build on it and find I can be a very effective rabbit, disrupting the enemy and dropping UAV's/Artillery, while assisting in brawls by being an annoying little flanker. Thanks for that tip!

I got my next 10m cbills grinded out, so I'm looking at my next choice. Not a lot of consensus here. Which is good I guess, means there's a lot of balance in the mechs. But if I say I prefer ballistic builds, what would you guys recommend?

#8 _Casper_

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

The Night Gyr offers the most options for a bandwith of ballistic builds but personally i don't like to play it anymore since it's mobility is nerfed to the ground. But you can run nearly every imaginable combination of ballistics on it. Is there any specific balilstic weapon you prefer? You can run combination of uacs and lasers on multiple clan chassis. Just take a chassis with enough free space/tonnage for weapons and you should be fine. Ebon Jaguar, Hellbringer, Timber Wolf or if you are looking for a medium you could go with a Hunchback IIc or maybe a Huntsman. Imo the Hunchback is better suited for pure ballistic builds.

#9 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

G’day Mate. Congrats on the Kodiak purchase. When putting your first drop deck together it is important to understand what you are trying to achieve with each mech in the deck.

Maps and Modes:
Unlike quick play, in faction warfare you can select mechs for the map and game mode you are about to play. Experienced players will be bringing optimised decks but for your first deck you really need to include relatively balanced mechs that can handle hot maps, long-ranged maps, domination, and conquest to name but a few.

Know Your Enemy:
As Clan you will start with a 20 ton disadvantage. IS also have access to an excellent 20-ton light which allows them to front load their deck by another 5 tons. For example, Battle Master (85), Battle Master (85), War Hammer (70), Locust (20). When you select mechs for your drop deck you need to make sure that you first couple of drops can hit above their weight class.

Read the Battle:
Players tend to drop their Mechs from heaviest to lightest, so the start of most battles is slow with a lot of ranged trading or organised pushes. Good teams wait and push in waves so that they get the most out of each Mech in their deck. The last 2 waves have a lot of fast, light and agile Mechs so battle almost always develops into a brawl at that point.

The Kodiak (First Drop):
The KDK-3 use to be insanely OP but PGI fixed a bug with AC ghost heat and latter hit the mobility of all Mechs with the engine desync. Because it fell so far, there is a lot of resentment about it on the net. Don’t take it to heart. It is an excellent Mech, and as far as I’m concerned, the best 100 ton Mech in the game. I run it in Faction Warfare regularly. It can handle hot and long ranged maps and competes well with the front loaded IS decks. Give it laser AMS as insurance for games on polar and alpine. Drop it first or second so you can get the most out of it. Do not drop it last. Dropping a slow heavy Mech into a storm of lights is the height of stupidity.

Fast, Light, Brawl (Last Drop):
As you have so much weight in the front of your deck you will need a good fast, light and brawly mech for your last drop. Fortunately, Clan has the Artic Cheetah and now the new Mist Lynx variant. Given the 100 ton start I’d go with the Mist Lynx just to give you another 5 tons for the middle of the deck.

Flexible Middle (Second and Third Drops):
Mechs like the Timber Wolf, Ebon Jaguar, Hell bringer, Storm Crow and Nova are extremely flexible so with a combination of them you really can’t go to wrong. That said if you like the KDK-3 then go with the NTG-B. It is basically a mini KDK-3 and like the KDK-3 it handles all the different maps and modes well. If you do this then you are left with 40 tons which means a Viper as yout third Mech. I love vipers and if you liked the MG/laser Arctic Cheetah then you’ll like the VPR-C too. It is fast and agile which will help balance the KDK and NTG on conquest maps.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Best of luck with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users