- - - - -

Best Return On Investment

16 replies to this topic

#1 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

I've started playing MWO 2 Days ago (after wanting to and never really installing) and I love it. The community was friendly, the games are an adrenalin-rush (at least for a noob like me...) and I want to make the most of my playsessions and perfect my Timberwolf-Play...
So.. I bought a TBR-C(C) and a Warrant (big "Mad-Cat" fan from my time in MW3 + 4) and I'm looking for some additional... well placed investments. Whats a good way to start? another (C) variant for an other spec (I don't seem to be able to save different specifications on one chassi-Slot)
Premium time?
I'm thankful for every suggestion.

#2 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:05 AM

If you stay on the clan side, I focused on mastering what I first have.... Getting your playstyle figured out,mastering the mechs you own and making them work.

Then, I wanted one mech of each class, built in the style I play. That way, for a drop deck, I can have weight classes that I can mix and match to meet maximum weight allowances and accomplish what I like to do on the missions....

Play for your goals: for me, each new mech class...

A note: finding a "team" can be a little complicated and tiring.... That depends on what style you enjoy and how competitive you want to be.... My advice, and I've been playing just over 6 months, is "figure out what you really like" in this game and then, start looking for others to play with. I found a nice team because they aren't competitive and all they want to do is have fun. I doubt you'll see "BR" in any competitive mode anytime soon.

Read the forums for ideas about mech loadouts. If you have a question, create a forum piece and ask.....remember, the answers are from players that may have different goals so think any changes through before you spend anything.....

Most of all, HAVE FUN and watch, emulate and find a niche that fits what you like !

#3 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:25 AM

Just keep trying various loadouts until you find out ones that work for you well. For starter I would invest most Skill Points in maxed Radar Deprivation and Survival tree, with mobility and heat management not far behind. Timber Wolves are omnimechs so you can twerk your builds by much, I would say they work very well at med/long ranges but there are obvious downsides like low slung arms or reduced mobility. Be sure to read all quirks too, for example there's a 8-set jump jet variant that can brawl much better than others because of extra mobility. There's also this new Mad Cat MK2 mech, bit different and it's not omnimech but very interesting machine.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 03 September 2017 - 04:54 AM.

#4 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostBersigil, on 03 September 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

well placed investments.

I don't want to ruin your fun, but let me get one thing straight: You are not "Investing" anything if you purchase content in this game (or any other game).

You spent your money and then it is gone.

#5 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

I'm investing time. And the returned investment should be fun...

#6 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:53 AM

Some people tend to join factions and do CW until they reach certain rank then swap sides to get more of those early rewards. It's also good for C-Bills.

#7 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:02 AM

View PostBersigil, on 03 September 2017 - 04:50 AM, said:

I'm investing time. And the returned investment should be fun...

Well then, try a mech from every weightclass and try all the different weapons and see what you like most.

Browse these forums for beginners guides (there are plenty) as MWO has quite a steep learning curve.

Stay away from Factionplay till you have at least one month of experience.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Although I don't agree with some of the decisions on the site, there are quite a few players who use metamechs.com to look for suggested builds. Note however, that those are only suggestions and the builds or weapons may not necessarily work for you, it is at least another place to start. Also, before you spend any money or c-bills you can build your mechs at http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ and see how much it will cost and the heat efficiency before spending anything.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to MWO!

#9 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

If you are speaking of 'investment' in terms of MC...

I wouldn't buy champion mechs honestly, and certainly not DUPLICATE ones just to save yourself the time of re-configuring in the mechlab. Champions are just normal variants that come pre-configured to something approximating a meta build, and have the XP bonus. But XP really doesn't matter for an individual mech in the long-run, so it's kind of a throwaway bonus. If you're going to buy mechs with money, buy Hero mechs as they come with a much more useful C-bill bonus and are unique variants that cannot be had any other way than spending money on them.

Mech Bays are your other good option for MC spending, as you can only get a limited number of them for free via faction rank rewards in CW mode. But don't go slap-happy with them until you're sure you're committed to the game, and honestly I'd wait for them to go on sale -- we actually just had a 50% off mech bay sale.

As far as investing your time and energy? I'd work on getting a mech in each weight class so that you can tailor your play sessions to how you're feeling that day. The Timber Wolf is an excellent start as it's such a high-quality mech with a very versatile array of builds you can go for. Ultimately you'll have to decide whether you prefer IS or Clan tech, but I feel that Clan tech is better to start off with as the Omnipod system allows you to get a whole lot of bang for your buck on mechs -- sure, you might spend 7 million c-bills on an Arctic Cheetah as opposed to 5 million on a Raven. But you can totally change the loadout of your cheetah for a few hundred thousand more worth of omnipods, rather than having to buy another several-million Raven chassis -- and that's before you get into having to spend millions MORE on engines for those other IS chassis, rather than the one fixed engine for your Omnimech chassis.

#10 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

buy hero mechs n be paient

#11 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

I own 2 Hero mechs (not counting the Grid Iron that I one) and it mostly comes down to play style. I got the Sparky after playing two other Griffins, it was a blast for the first year and it has made me allot of C-bills though I have had slums with the machine that have had me grinding my teeth until I found a new build that worked with the new meta.

C-bill mechs will always be your best investment because it only cost you game time to earn it. I would only spend real cash on a Hero or Champ if you already have fun with that chassis.

#12 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

i own a dozzen champs, half a dozzen heros.. a a few speicals..

this game is based on cbills...
your going to need to be able to learn how to pull 200k plus cbills a round

your bank acount should always be over 100million cbills..

#13 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

well as far as MC investement goes, with half off sales, it really is hard to beat the Locust 1E and commando 1D champion. under 800 MC gets ya both, though the commando will need a bigger XL engine, I think the XL-225 is the goto on that mech. That said, lights are not the best for new players, but they are good deals, as the locust has an XL engine worth a few mill, and they both have all the upgrades, which comes in at over 2m each mech. So basically like 4 bucks, you get around 10m worth of mechs/upgrades :)

another good mech at 50% off is the shadow hawk 2H(c) It is a great mech for 3 UAC2's, and comes with an XL-265 which is nearly a 5m c-bill engine, which i use in tons of IS builds.

all that said, Seeing you went clan side, you might wanna stick with it for now. Save your MC for a later date, and just play around with your two timbers. Save your GXP for later use, and just have fun.

Try 3 ERML's + 2 LPL's in that timber C, the warrent i am not sure, maybe a 4 MPL+4 SRM4 build? those are always good fun!

I'd say play 50-100 matches for now, and see how things go. give a 4ERML+uac10 build a try. Maybe a pair of LRM15's with some ERML's too. Just play around. Don't be afraid to buy some extra omni pods to make new builds

Use this site, to play around with builds and see what you can come up with. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#14 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:49 AM

Why over 100 Mill Credits? Might seem like a dumb question but I really have no clue ;)

#15 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Because a single large mech that you skill and equip may cost up to 50 mio C-bills.
The Mechs prize, additional omnipods or enhancements, costs for the skilltree, weapons you do not already own...
Then adjustments and changes when you realize something is not working.
If you now flesh out a whole FP dropdeck those 100 mio C-bills will melt away like a Moth flying into a flamethrower.

#16 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:40 AM

And I was feeling rich with my 20 Mio, because it would allow me to purchase a whole new mech...

Thx. I will remember this and start farming ;)

#17 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:51 AM

In my humble opinion, the best Real Cash investment you can make at the moment is the Tournament Supporter Pack.

Cockpit Items, Titles and such are nice, yes, but the real winners are those +10% to XP and applied accross your whole account up to December 31st.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users