Mechs Similar To The Huntsman

5 replies to this topic

#1 GreyMatter51

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

A few days ago I ended up buying the Huntsman as my first medium mech. Currently running a dual PPC build and I am loving it and plan on buying more chassis to have other loadouts for this mech.

What I am curious about is are there other mechs (not just medium) that are similar to the Huntsman? It can be from either side, but I would like to see if there are.

Thanks.

#2 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

As far as high-mounted weapons and jumpjets, there's quite a few out there. The Night Gyr (jeer) is similarly capable as a sniper as far as I recall. It's a pricy 75t Clan Omnimech that boasts lots of free tonnage but not speed. The huntsman, I suppose, is also a slower jump sniper/mid-ranger. Shadow Hawks have high mounts and jumpjets but have since fallen out of favor, as do Hunchback IIc's, but those have remained favorable for their poking capabilities. The Summoner is also a very capable jump sniper if that's your gig.

Edited by Mad Dog Morgan, 03 September 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#3 GreyMatter51

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostMad Dog Morgan, on 03 September 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

As far as high-mounted weapons and jumpjets, there's quite a few out there. The Night Gyr (jeer) is similarly capable as a sniper as far as I recall. It's a pricy 75t Clan Omnimech that boasts lots of free tonnage but not speed. The huntsman, I suppose, is also a slower jump sniper/mid-ranger. Shadow Hawks have high mounts and jumpjets but have since fallen out of favor, as do Hunchback IIc's, but those have remained favorable for their poking capabilities. The Summoner is also a very capable jump sniper if that's your gig.

I am not sure how to describe it but the Huntsman just "feels" right when I play it. Not necessarily the loadout but maybe the combination of the high mounts, speed, and jj capability? I can't really place what it is about the Mech that I enjoy.

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

Summoner is known for its ability to carry 2 high mounted ERPPCs and jump capability. It moves just as fast as the Huntsman but has more armor and can bring more heatsinks to keep cool. Its my favorite dual ERPPC mech. It feels pretty good to drive, the agility is good, the speed is nice, the high mounts let me shoot what I see, and I can jump up to get a shot on things if something's in the way.

#5 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hunchback IIC is the most direct comparison/competitor to the Huntsman. It's also a 50-ton medium, also has high side torso mounts, also has jumpjets. It's a clan battlemech rather than an omnimech, so hardpoints are fixed rather than using Omnipods, but in trade you get the option to stuff a much larger engine into it (picking up around 10kph base) and more freedom with your JJ and structure configuration.

Does have a significant drawback though: its shoulders are xbox-tier huge, and they make for juicy targets.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:40 AM

If you can stand the considerably lower mounts, maybe check out the Enforcer. They have similar body types, identical weights and fairly similar agility?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users