- - - - -

Which Mech Should I Buy First?

10 replies to this topic

#1 DONALD KERENSKY TRUMP

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

can I have your suggestion? my fighting style is to go near the enemy like brawling as they call it

#2 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hunchbacks*, Shadowhawks, wolverines, Griffins(maybe) and centurions, Have not tried the Bushwhackers*, but have seen many infighting builds that i have respect for. Now crabs can be tanky as hell, but work good as strikers.

IS heavies. Orions*, warhammers, Roughnecks, thunderbolts*, and maruders come to mind.

Now Clans mediums are hard, hunchback IIc*, novas and stormcrows come to mind for mediums.

Clan heavies Orion IIC, Maddogs (6 srm 6's is hard to beat), Ebon Jaguar*. Now the linebackers can be a good brawler, but just the heat sometimes and they work great in a pack of 4 people playing together.

IS and clan assaults can brawl, but there is some skill in knowing when to brawl and not to in an assault. Take the direwolf, things die in front of it, but you can kill it easy from the sides. Kodiaks are just brutal brawlers. Then the atlas, and using the KISS principal. AC 20 a few SRM 6's and ML's is all you need. Then the stalkers. You can be a very dangerous in a brawl with MRM's, SRM's and some ML's.

Over all stay with simple heat efficient builds at first, then as you get better at running or managing the heat you can use less efficient builds. Then learn some striker, sniper and LRM builds. Why, learn to do unto others as they will do unto you. Then look at how you brawl, do you do better in mediums or heavies.

Then remember there are mechs out there that will find you when you play them. I have the Griffin 3M where people swear that I can do back flips over targets while jumping and hitting targets beneath me, while taking no damage. Sure I was taking no damage due to the firing archs of the target mechs that could not hit me and I was using elevation differences as my shield from even being hit. As for the back flips I did not see anythingPosted Image , while I killed those assault lances. I even had my unit commander send me out to deal with the assault lances by myself depending on the map, kill them and return help finish off the remaining mechs.

#3 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

To start playing medium are the best, enough speed and armor to get yourself out of trouble. Centurion with ac20 and srm are good brawler. Hunchback too. They are cheap and you can stick with std engine with big gun for the hunchback, it's sturdy.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Bushwacker-P1(any Bushwacker honestly). Six missile hardpoints combined with massive durability can wreck anything. Plus the stock XL is very usable unlike other missile spambots like Griffins or Wolverines which need immediate engine and heatsink upgrades to be viable.

The Huntsman is pretty fun too.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 September 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

In general most players seem to be happiest playing either a medium or heavy. This is because they can take some abuse, get into the action quick and get out of the action fast enough to survive completely screwing up. (For example, rush in to fight a lone enemy, discover his 7 friends and now you gotta run for it before they notice you; you'd never get a chance to escape as an assault).

Lights and Assaults both tend to be easier to get into with a bit of knowledge beforehand. Lights due to their generally fragile nature (some can be destroyed almost instantly with average weapons) and high speeds (there are some lights that are exceptions at both; being slow and tanky), and assaults due to being walking weapon platforms or lumbering walls of armor. A fast assault is about the same as a slower-than-molasses medium, and slow mediums are never fast enough so that's something to think about.

Good luck out there.

#6 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

Linebacker and/or Mad dog

#7 DONALD KERENSKY TRUMP

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

thank you for the inputs, should I wait to finish the cadet bonus 25 before buying any mech?

#8 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostDONALD KERENSKY TRUMP, on 09 September 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

thank you for the inputs, should I wait to finish the cadet bonus 25 before buying any mech?

If you have the money for it, there's not that much of a reason to wait. But you also have to consider the cost of any upgrades if it's IS or just equipment. You also have to pay for to skill your mech. So you might want to have some extra for that purpose.

#9 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

I have recently greatly enjoyed the Shadow Hawk, which is a robust brawling medium, like so:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d68f7cc29589e61

A Griffin 2N with 4 SRM6+A is another great option and probably slightly better in a one on one brawl, but the Shadow Hawk can spread damage across its components slightly better and is a bit more flexible in what kind of engagements in can contribute in.

The Bushwacker is a third option, but unfortunately I do not own one. Its main drawback is lack of jump jets, but in return it gains some of the best hitboxes in the entire game and an excellent selection of hardpoints.

#10 chiller2k3

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

if you want to spend some real mony i can highly recommend the Catapult Hero "Jester" it has decent armour quirks, good speed and you can put in 6 med pulse lasers to brawl with.. very good and fun mech!!

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

So, Donald, how are you faring?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users