What Kind Of Lrm Builds Do Clans Use In Fp?

62 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

This is for LRM maps like Polar Highlands obviously. With the ghost heat penalties, is LRM-5/10 boating still a thing? Or do people use 15s and 20s now?

Given the choice between 4x LRM-15s and 3x LRM-20s, the latter seems better now due to less tonnage wasted on artemis and lower ghost heat. Since you are likely to run into multiple AMS on those maps, you dont want to chain fire if possible.

#2 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

Now there is a way to over load the AMS, use one LRM 10 or lrm 15 with a bunch of LRM 5's. It kinda lets the ams chew on the big bunch and allows the other lrm 5 shots to be closer when the AMS engages them and after awhile in the open the AMS is engaging as the LRMs are hitting. This is one thing most people do not realize. Now the AMS kit foxes or nova's well two LRM 20's does have an effect and kill them especially if you have artemis, TAG and line of sight on them. Still I look for close targets with LRMs 200 to 500 m. So I am also normally in the front during the initial movement to contact, then support the lights or quick mediums until the main forces engage. Hell even disrupt the movement of the Assaults or heavies for us to get better positioning. Then it is at the front line mixed in with everyone else. I prefer line of sight on targets at 300 m. Now the ATM are interesting and actually play more into my play stile of very close LRM support.

If you are wondering how good I am at LRMing.
Clan Heroes II Leaderboard

"MDD-H"
4. Posted Image Barkem Squirrel 3,038
Remember to look at with chassis or omnipod sets with benefit you the most with quirks and the Maddog H or prime are hard to beat for the clans even with using LRM 20's with artemis. Artemis can make a huge difference with the LRM 20s, but not much for the LRM 5's and 10's.

I have been running the maddogs with 2 LRM 20's with Artemis , tag and 2 or 3 erml's. mainly the H and Prime. The B is 3 LRM 15's without artemis, but has TAG. The last season (14) I was running maddogs as my only heavies and had and average match score of 375 in heavies.

Now the highlander IIC is a bit different with 4 lrm 15' and tag with some erll's

The warhawk B with just 3 lrm 15's with 2 erll's and TAG.

Now the huntsmans I am running 4 LRM 10 with a few ERML's and TAG

Now the maddog A with 6 missile hard points I used 4 lrm 5's and 2 LRM 15's, TAG and 2 ML's. now I changed out the lrm 15's to LRM 10's for a bit more heat efficiency and ammo.

Now the LRM jenner iiC I will fire in chain fire, but at very close range, 300m or volley 3 lrm 5's at a time. I know a LRM jenner, but it has the fire power and near the ammo stores of the Catapult, and goes 104kph with JJ's. This build and the Oxide are my, I need to trollolol someone and the LRM boat locust just does not fell right. (although the 4 rocket launcher 20 locust is a blast sneaking up behind someone.)

I have not pulled my streak crow out back into a LRM boat, but even then I keep one LRM 15 or 10 in the thing with TAG.

#3 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

"Don't bring lrms ever!" reply inbound in 5...4....3....2

#4 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 12 September 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

This is for LRM maps like Polar Highlands obviously. With the ghost heat penalties, is LRM-5/10 boating still a thing? Or do people use 15s and 20s now?
Since ATM are available, LRM are OBSOLETE for the Clans Posted Image

1100 instead of 900 max.Range AND more damage at shorter range ... even more damage than SRM at close range !

Edited by Brother MEX, 12 September 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#5 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

View PostBrother MEX, on 12 September 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

1100 instead of 900 max.Range

Look! My new wristwatch is waterproof up to 100m. The old one only had 50m...

#6 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

ATMs are easily neutered by AMS, so LRMs still have a use. And being able to fire indirectly is very useful.

#7 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Since new tech there's too much AMS and not enough XL engines. LRM's are still fun but nothing close to what they were.

#8 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

The one thing about LRMs vs ATM's is the flight path. LRMs have that arch, but ATMs have the almost straight shot and people can duck them with cover or terrain. Then ATMs have less missiles for the AMS to chew up but do more damage per missile. Then LRMs are more heat effective.

It all comes down to how you play. go hyper aggressive in your face the ATM's may be better. Then there is if you like to sit in the rear and lob tons of Missiles or get up close and personal.

#9 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 12 September 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

go hyper aggressive in your face the ATM's may be better.

Mininum range is a beyatch though... I would almost recommend blending them and having them on different firing buttons. If you can be situationally aware, you can determine when to fire what.

#10 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

LRM builds imply you use a mech built around LRMs. Don't.

#11 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Simple .
Proper clansmen and clanswomen dont use LRM .
They bring ERPPCs and ERLLs en masse for longrange maps .

#12 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

Just to add to the pile, don't. Also don't use group que. Nobody wants that on their team....

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

If you're going to LRM, do it with a medium. Stay mobile, stick with your team. Most Clan assaults that use LRMs are significantly slower then other Clan mechs and you lose the Clan advantage of coherence that comes with comparable speeds.

Almost universally you want to avoid Artemis and carry more/bigger launchers. Yes, quality is better than quantity but quantity has a quality vs AMS all its own.

Heavies and assaults are also the best mechs for heavy firepower. If you're going to LRM stay mobile and try to minimize your drag on the team.

#14 xXJ35T3RXx

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

In FP people know how to avoid dying by LRMs. They'll counter you by taking cover behind some big structure or rock, or have Radar Deprivation, or have Laser AMS or AMS. They'll single you out. close the distance, and kill you.

Don't think for a second hiding behind more armor and tonnage - i.e. making a LRM Kodiak, Scorch, Mad Cat, or Annihilator will save you.

Edited by xXJ35T3RXx, 13 September 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#15 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Please read the OP again...im talking about LRM friendly maps. On maps like polar theres no "big structure" for you to hide behind. Theres just the center domination hill that isnt nearly tall enough to block LRMs. Turns out that with target decay, a few LRM boats can take out a warhawk's side torso very very quickly. Oh sure, i shot the spotter who poked his head over the hill, wasnt nearly enough damage to kill him from one alpha and i lost a side torso from the LRMs in the process.

I know laser vomit is popular and all, but surely some clan units run LRMs on maps like polar? I see IS units bring LRM boats on maps like polar very frequently paired with laser vomit.

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 September 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Please read the OP again...im talking about LRM friendly maps. On maps like polar theres no "big structure" for you to hide behind. Theres just the center domination hill that isnt nearly tall enough to block LRMs. Turns out that with target decay, a few LRM boats can take out a warhawk's side torso very very quickly. Oh sure, i shot the spotter who poked his head over the hill, wasnt nearly enough damage to kill him from one alpha and i lost a side torso from the LRMs in the process.

I know laser vomit is popular and all, but surely some clan units run LRMs on maps like polar? I see IS units bring LRM boats on maps like polar very frequently paired with laser vomit.

Polar has quite a few hills and crevices along with some buildings. Matches in FP on polar are fought at 700m+ ranges usually. There are lots of ERPPC poptarts and ERLL mechs quirked for range that will be able to hit you out past sensor range, or just flat out of range of the LRMs themselves.

LRMs are practically worthless on polar in FP because of their travel time at the ranges of engagement. Most of the time IS LRM builds are even less effective than Clan ones if the Clan team is fielding a few ERLL Hellbringers.

If you insist on bringing a sub optimal weapon system, here's the most optimal mech for the job so you hopefully carry your weight:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...94a656d77393edb

Mad Dog H: run it with stock omnipods and you'll get a 30% cooldown boost along with velocity and spread boosts. In skill tree go ahead and max cooldown for nearly 40% off your LRM cooldowns. You have a high mounted cockpit that you should make use of to reveal little of yourself while getting locks. The mech is also 60 tons, so you can fit 4 into one drop deck.

#17 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:24 AM

Then why do i keep seeing IS units bring LRMs in polar? Domination polar is often fought at closer ranges due to the location of the dom point.

#18 Hagen von Tronje

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

View PostThe Shortbus, on 12 September 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Simple .
Proper clansmen and clanswomen dont use LRM .
They bring ERPPCs and ERLLs en masse for longrange maps .

Proper Clansmen fight one on one, they have rules about honour and they choose their own config for a Mech.Posted Image
I´ve never seen a proper clansmen in this game.Posted Image
What you mean as proper has nothing do do with clansmen. Its a ****** MWO-opinion.Posted Image

#19 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 14 September 2017 - 03:24 AM, said:

Then why do i keep seeing IS units bring LRMs in polar?

Are they winning?

If they are, then the clan team is not playing smart.

Now, if its an IS 12 man that is bringing an "appropriate" # of LRMs + spotters/NARC/TAG/BAP that is an entirely different story.
If you are solo or in a small group, it behooves you to bring weapons that do not depend on teamwork to be effective since there is no guarantee that teamwork will be an option.

LRMs are most effective when you build around them since there are so many counters. Even then, if the enemy team anticipates LRMs, the most you can hope for is to out-coordinate them, but if you can't you are screwed b/c you invested so much tonnage into LRMs and their force multipliers.

This is why many organized teams don't bring LRMs unless they are bored of Direct Fire, even then they get bored of LRMs after a few games and go back to Direct Fire.

Edited by MovinTarget, 14 September 2017 - 06:24 AM.

#20 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 12 September 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

Given the choice between 4x LRM-15s and 3x LRM-20s, the latter seems better now due to less tonnage wasted on artemis and lower ghost heat. Since you are likely to run into multiple AMS on those maps, you dont want to chain fire if possible.

If you want to talk about serious LRM builds, then come by my unit's ts channel on:

STRANAMECHTY.INFO

PW: StranaMechty

We are about halfway down the server list. Swing by and look for me. We can talk more about it then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users