5 replies to this topic

#1 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Well this isn't exactly a patch related problem but I don't know wherelse to put it in.

I never experienced connection problems since I'm playing this game (roughly started around the release of the phoenix mech pack).

Since the change in the MM system I disconnect every single match, sometimes even in mechlab. This makes the game unplayable for me.

I tried repair tool, steam and steam-repair tool. Nothing worked so far. My system didn't chance, neither hard- nor software.

Advice welcome. Thanks.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Wait, so Windows have not been updated in how long, along with drivers (on by default for Windows 10 users), or even your security program(s)? Never mind possible updates to modem/gateway, especially if being rented from your ISP. Also the route your system takes from your computer to your ISP, then your ISP to the net, the various routing management services your connection passes through to get to PGI servers? This is not permanent/static, it can change for a variety of reasons, if not the ISP directly then the network systems and any issues they may be having at any time.

Just trying to clear the air there. If the game is actually disconnecting and NOT crashing, that generally means the information passing between the client and the server is being blocked/temporarily disconnected.

Computer connection hardwired or wireless or combination setup? ISP? Location -state/country/ISP. Since it also occurs while in mechlab actual combat servers being used not critical since the general overall connection is to the NA.

Turn off/reboot modem/router/gateway for a few minutes. Same with computer. Brand/model of router/gateway/modem so that user manual can be reviewed.

Check security program logs. Consider excluding MWO folder from active scanning. If modem/router/gateway(combo router+modem) has the ability to turn on and generate logs, due it for some gaming sessions.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 September 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#3 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:54 AM

Tarl Cabot thank you for your input.

I was thinking about this, but I think I have to specify the error better.

The message I get, when this happens is "An error ocurred. Connection to server lost".
While I am disconnected from the game I am NOT disconnected from the in-game voice chat! And obviously I am not marked "disconnected" in the match either. Last time I heard over the in game voice chat someone adressing me for standing still and not contributing while reconnecting to the game.
I only had it once that I heard "we got a disconnected Bushwacker" (when I was playing the only BSW in the Team) while the map was already loading again.
Also I am not suffering from connection issues in other MMO games (i.e. Hawken). It only happens in MWO.

About my system: I use a mediocre PC which is good enough to play the game with medium graphics while still having reasonable fps. I usually end up in the upper third of my team on the scoreboard (if I didn't do something stupid or disconnected), so I can't blame poor system performance when things go south.
I do actually use wireless, but still have a ping of ~30 on european and ~100 on NA Servers (I'm living in Germany). As stated above I have no connection issues outside MWO.
I'm running the 64bit Version of MWO on Windows 7 64bit. I actually noticed that I missed some optional updates and am going to install those before the next try.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

Okay, on wireless connection, exactly how is the system setup? Wireless from computer to router/modem/gateway then wired or wireless to ISP? Are you able to connected via wired?

VOIP still working simply means that there is not a complete disconnect from MWO. The VOIP may or may not be on the same server farm as the game, or even the same location. That can make it difficult determining if the issue is out your system/ISP so we will concentrate on what is within our area of influence. Also, regardless of where VOIP operates from, it will always use a DIFFERENT PORT than the actual combat engine or the general interface, ie Mechlab/etc.

I stress ports because router/gateways (combo router/modem) will have a secondary security software as part of its makeup, aka SPI (stateful packet inspection) that will temporarily close a PORT if the packet amount exceeds a specific threshold because it believes it may be under attack.

An influx of packets can be caused by many things, from ISP/intermediate router services setups/changes to problematic equipment somewhere along the line to wireless connection having issues that may not be immediately noticeable for most connections.

Are there any other wireless equipment nearby? Has anything been moved recently?

Depending on what security software/firewall program the computer is using, check those logs to see if there is any history of ports being temporarily closed.

If the router/gateway resides inside the residence, access it. Locate the Security tab/location. Disable it for testing. Again, this is for testing and it does NOT disable NAT. SPI was not part of most routers/gateways makeup until this century :) then added only over time. Even before SPI some games needed its own Port Triggering setup.

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

There are disconnects form Windows Updates, Steam Updates, Antivirus Updates, Java-Updates etc.
Seems Windows has some trouble to handle MWO and Updating Software the same time...

#6 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

Well ok, I didn't have too much time lately and the windows update took awhile (I haven't used the pc for quite some time and for some reason automatic updates and even reminder was off, so it took like 25 restarts to have my System actual now...).
Still doesn't work with everything updated, running under steam doesn't work, steam repair-tool didn't find anyting, mwo repair tool stopped working. Need to get a working version of the repair tool before I can try again.
Problem is I don't have access to the router (and even if I had, I don't know **** about IT, so I wouldn't find the problem if it was written in bold letters...)
Seems I have another forced break on the game. So I'll wait for te next patch or the time I'm on dircet cable again. Now I look even eagerly forward for MW5 and play other games til then.
Thanks for the help anyways!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users