41 replies to this topic

#21 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

As a player who spent many an hour playing EVE. (More than I dare admit too) I actually find this quite funny.

Some of these guys get so tied up on this game that their real lives revolve around it. I'm not joking. I got out. Such a time and money sink. It wasn't worth it.

Grind ur *** away for hours/days/weeks just for some douche to come along with his mates or alts and wipe it all out in minutes.

Nah not for me.

#22 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostAppogee, on 13 September 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Actually, I think this is very cool.

Imagine being part of an immersive universe with genuine stakes and intrigues like this.

Better that than an endless groundhog day of arena shooting, IMHO.

This, i'm glad some of the upcoming new batch of mmo's are actually willing to go closer to eve-style with actual stakes (one that i'm following has a limited lifespan that gets reduced when you get whacked, same full robbery deal with inventory/assets being placed in the world, there's even options for full account killing Posted Image, actually better than EVE if they actually deliver imo especially since it's not spreadsheet but a traditional mmo).

Crazies are everywhere and should be tamped down though when their crazy goes too far.

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 September 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

Imagine if you could ripoff the mafia IRL but they couldn't do anything because things like sending assassins after a traitor aren't implemented (because it's easier not to implement stuff like that in a game). Or if you couldn't even report someone to the police for stealing your stuff.

Except they can, you don't need to send "assassins" (although they could if they still had money, paying other players and not some mystical system) you can do it yourself and kill+rob the guy in-game. All those security things you mention? those are available in one form or another. The issue was basically a high-level treason. If you don't vet your people properly, don't give them authorization. And don't give one guy too much authorization unless you are absolutely certain.

View PostThorn Hallis, on 13 September 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Because that never ever happend in EvE before, right? Posted Image

In a hostile context? It probably has, and they've probably been banned too Posted Image. I'd be more surprised if CCP let hostile context doxxing fly. Outside of hacker boards (and maybe the chan boards) i can't think of many places where hostile doxxing wouldn't get you banned.

#23 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

Except they can, you don't need to send "assassins" (although they could if they still had money, paying other players and not some mystical system) you can do it yourself and kill+rob the guy in-game. All those security things you mention? those are available in one form or another. The issue was basically a high-level treason. If you don't vet your people properly, don't give them authorization. And don't give one guy too much authorization unless you are absolutely certain.

Except that the best thing you can do in EVE to get revenge is to PK a player. Which is not a big deal at all, especially if it is a throw away acount. And you cant PK him if he decides to stay in a safe zone. In real life, there are no 100% perfect safe zones, even maximum security prisons where you live in isolation have the obvious drawback of being a very ****** place to live.

Its been ages since i played Eve, but from what i remember it was pretty standard MMO security, which is basically giving ranks in a corp different levels of security clearance. Which is not much at all considering that it is very, very, easy to lie to people on the internet and all it takes is one guy faking being your friend for a long enough period to steal all your stuff. And again, there are no consequences for someone doing this, unlike real life. Eve has proven that there are people who will go to extreme lengths and spend years building up a fake persona just to get at you on the internet. It is literally an obsession for them.

If there were more advanced security measures, i find it hard to believe that they werent used to stop the theft. For example, anyone with half a brain would obviously have set it so that you need the alliance leader's authorization to change ownership of a station. So what SHOULD have happened was that the traitor tried to turn ownership of the stations over, the alliance leader got ingame messages asking him for authorization, and obviously he wouldn't authorize it and would know something was up. Instead, what apparently happened was that the traitor could do everything with a few mouse clicks without the alliance leader being prompted to authorize anything, kind of like if a high level executive at Microsoft decided to give the corporate HQ over to Apple and the CEO and the entire board of directors don't get notified about it and can't do anything to stop it. Which would never be possible IRL of course.

#24 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 13 September 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

lmao ******* ******* and crybabies.

"i'll cut off your hands!" LMAO sure

LMAO... at what? oh boy,
Did someone forget to take their medication?

#25 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostDread Render, on 13 September 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

LMAO... at what? oh boy,
Did someone forget to take their medication?

???
female cats and crybabies, like the mods who perm banned someone for words on a monitor.

#26 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 September 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

Except that the best thing you can do in EVE to get revenge is to PK a player. Which is not a big deal at all, especially if it is a throw away acount. And you cant PK him if he decides to stay in a safe zone. In real life, there are no 100% perfect safe zones, even maximum security prisons where you live in isolation have the obvious drawback of being a very ****** place to live.

Its been ages since i played Eve, but from what i remember it was pretty standard MMO security, which is basically giving ranks in a corp different levels of security clearance. Which is not much at all considering that it is very, very, easy to lie to people on the internet and all it takes is one guy faking being your friend for a long enough period to steal all your stuff. And again, there are no consequences for someone doing this, unlike real life. Eve has proven that there are people who will go to extreme lengths and spend years building up a fake persona just to get at you on the internet. It is literally an obsession for them.

If there were more advanced security measures, i find it hard to believe that they werent used to stop the theft. For example, anyone with half a brain would obviously have set it so that you need the alliance leader's authorization to change ownership of a station. So what SHOULD have happened was that the traitor tried to turn ownership of the stations over, the alliance leader got ingame messages asking him for authorization, and obviously he wouldn't authorize it and would know something was up. Instead, what apparently happened was that the traitor could do everything with a few mouse clicks without the alliance leader being prompted to authorize anything, kind of like if a high level executive at Microsoft decided to give the corporate HQ over to Apple and the CEO and the entire board of directors don't get notified about it and can't do anything to stop it. Which would never be possible IRL of course.

Well you could rob what he's got on him too but yea true because CCP ain't that hardcore (which is why i like the game i was mentioning), arguably just sitting in the dock safezone all the time is similarly mindnumbingly boring though.

Aye, but that "simple system" is already enough. After all if they didn't give him that much authorization, he wouldn't have been able to rob them blind. Rather than saying that there should be a confirmation system, for me it's more why did the leader give him so much authorization anyway? Eh lying is easy even IRL it just depends on the person, which is why the leader should've parceled it out more restrictively, but he didn't, that's on him. In addition, this time it wasn't but before it was a leader who betrayed the alliance, so even your more complicated system wouldn't stop that either.

As for consequences, there are in-game, that judge's rep is damaged too and his new employers will always have his previous betrayal in the back of their heads, i'd be surprised if he ever gets any employment outside of the side he defected to. The npc's shouldn't care because player's don't really belong to them but are more like mercs, as long as they don't attack/wreck them why should they do something? A consequence from the GM's would be like zeus thunderbolting every scammer when they get money, it'd be nice for the victims i'm sure but that doesn't happen.

As for a lone person significantly losing money for/damaging their employer irl, it's not common but it does happen, just google fat-fingered trader news. Or really the major stories that involve wiki-leaks are also in the same vein.

#27 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Well, crazy but true. There has been cases of people doing violence againts someone who beat them in some CS:GO or whatever.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 13 September 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#28 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

Eve, how to go from a good game to a game that caters for thin skinned carebears.

Far FAR worse than a few empty threats has happened before this and no one blinked a eye.

#29 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

HAHA thats nothing.. I was playing World of Tanks one game and didnt get to the cap in time and I kid you not this one guy over voice comes said..

"If you dont get to the cap "i'm going to tie you up, R*#e your wife, and feed your pets to you while I do that" Sometimes people that play video games just take it too serious. 97% of the people that shout crap like that really are people with no life that live in their moms basement and just have no concept of reality.. The other 2% are just that crazy

Anywho.. Eve player getting banned for saying that ok I can see that..

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

At least Eve has player elected council. Too bad ours didn't work out.

#31 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostAppogee, on 13 September 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Actually, I think this is very cool.

Imagine being part of an immersive universe with genuine stakes and intrigues like this.

Better that than an endless groundhog day of arena shooting, IMHO.

If the game was anything more than a spread sheet, i might enjoy it.. but have you ever tried it? the politics are interesting, but the game play is a huge bore. It's more a political sim than anything.

Give X3 a try, its a bit more interesting :)

#32 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 September 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

never threaten, its passive aggressive bs and will both alert the target and make you the first person the cops question. its better to catch them off guard. and besides if it was serious, that level of escalation is not warranted, its just a game. maybe if you run over my cats, but not if you beat me in a deathmatch. its also sad that we live in the world that is more concerned about idle threats from whiney ***** than actual violence. then we elect a president who should be on a sex offender list. the end is nigh, but thats too good for us, so we will continue to suffer continued existence instead.

People are insane.

I played one game of DOTA 2 a few years back. I was visiting my brother in law and he used to play back then, so he let me play a game on his account to see if I'd like the game. Well, I didn't, but that's a different issue. Even if I like the game, I'd never play in an environment full of toxic, hate-filled lunatics like I ran into there. The moment they found out I was new to the game, VoIP fills up immediately with people spewing streams of curses as if the presence of a "noob" was going to end their lives and destroy their careers. So, we turn off VoIP. Then, text chat fills up with curses and brilliant statements like "I hope somebody kills you." Yes, because that is a perfectly logical and emotionally mature response to having a random noob spawn on your team in a video game. What is wrong with people? Did I feel "threatened" by him? Of course not. But why would I waste my time "gaming" with such an emotionally stunted little sociopath?

For the record, our team won, I wasn't the worst player, and I'll never play that game, or any other ones dominated by toxic, immature sacks of stupid again. For all the problems MWO's community has, and for all the trolls and tools on my ignore list, this community is utter heaven compared to most video game communities. It is sad just how much stupid is out there these days.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 September 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#33 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Spend hours upon hours building something up.
Get 1000's of players to do that with you.
Some human refuse throws that all away, safe in the knowledge he;s safe and will never get ANY comeback for it.

Sounds like fun...not.

Never understand why devs of games gives human refuse the tools to act out their scummy personality. that guy got all the jollies of spoiling over 3k people's game and time, and will NEVER get taken to task for it.
why would any sane person play that game?

#34 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostKharonn, on 13 September 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

As a player who spent many an hour playing EVE. (More than I dare admit too) I actually find this quite funny.

Some of these guys get so tied up on this game that their real lives revolve around it. I'm not joking. I got out. Such a time and money sink. It wasn't worth it.

Grind ur *** away for hours/days/weeks just for some douche to come along with his mates or alts and wipe it all out in minutes.

Nah not for me.

Eve is a basically a mugging simulator, where most people get to play the role of the victim and a few "lucky" tools volunteer over and over to play the mugger while bragging loudly and proudly about how tough they are for targeting people who can't effectively fight back. Not one of them is worth a swift uppercut in real life, but that's the internet for you.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 September 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#35 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

I played EVE Online from the day it opened its doors until after three years. I decided playing Mobster Simulator to be more than enough. No regrets shifting to my next game afterwards, which was Chromehounds. Before I started EVE Online I was playing Mechwarrior 4 and its expansions.

#36 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

pfffff, I have heard much worse in other games, And people were also banned for it, not sure why this is now worth a news. Guess someone ran out of news and had to make an article in time.

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 September 2017 - 11:33 PM.

#37 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

MMO Social Justice Warriors pretending to be offended or threatened by a very obvious joke. When is the last time a Westerner cut off anyone's hands? Standard tactic to pretend you are afraid so you can manipulate the idiots in charge to ban the person.

Liberal Crybullies.

#38 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

warning some mabey nsfw wording.

Edited by JP Josh, 14 September 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#39 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

I remembered when I was in EvE, the corporation I belonged to got swindled. The CEO was an *** anyway.

#40 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostValhallan, on 13 September 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

This, i'm glad some of the upcoming new batch of mmo's are actually willing to go closer to eve-style with actual stakes (one that i'm following has a limited lifespan that gets reduced when you get whacked, same full robbery deal with inventory/assets being placed in the world, there's even options for full account killing Posted Image, actually better than EVE if they actually deliver imo especially since it's not spreadsheet but a traditional mmo).

Crazies are everywhere and should be tamped down though when their crazy goes too far.

In a hostile context? It probably has, and they've probably been banned too Posted Image. I'd be more surprised if CCP let hostile context doxxing fly. Outside of hacker boards (and maybe the chan boards) i can't think of many places where hostile doxxing wouldn't get you banned.

There was one EVE mechanic game I tried, and that is Age of Wushu, which is its Western title, but Age of Wulin in China. Beautiful game, great vistas and scenes, great character design. Open PvP with timed upgrades. Life in the Ming Dynasty of China, and a golden age of martial arts.

The whole focus of the game is to get stronger, gank someone, join guilds so you can raid other guilds (school wars). The whole focus of the game is to rise above the crowd and make others miserable. As a note, you cannot truly leave the game, if you log off, your character goes into an automatic mode where it seeks a job and makes revenue while you are offline. Which also makes it vulnerable.

If your character is a girl, for example, she would go off and work in a bar or a restaurant as a waitress. If you plan on making your character a crook or criminal, rather than someone who is a hero or protects the law and the people, your crooked character would attempt to kidnap the automated offline female avatars, puts her in a sack, and sells her to a brothel. The kidnapper gets some income from that, making it a lucrative job if you are not caught by other players as crooks have a lucrative bounty on their heads. If the player with the kidnapped avatar logs in and finds her in a brothel, she would have to pay some fee to the brothel to get her freedom back.

If the player uses a male avatar, he is kidnapped, tossed in a bag, and sold to slavery in some farm, factory or mine as forced labor, and likewise, have to pay some dues to get his freedom back.

Edited by Anjian, 14 September 2017 - 04:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users