#41 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 13 September 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

I don't think people understand what they mean by "Limited" Customization. They're referencing to the ideal and/or system of MWO; This could most likely mean that Customization is going to be limited to how Battlemechs in our game are today.

Good thing someone on Reddit quoted the info PCGamer gave on that.

Unlike MechWarrior Online, where players can customize their mech chassis in a variety of ways, MechWarrior 5 will stick to the lore and force players to choose between strictly defined roles. “It’s great for a PVP game because the level of customization is huge,” Bullock tells me. “But if we allowed that in MechWarrior 5, you essentially negate the free market. There’s no need to keep your eyes peeled for that Jenner JR7-F that has Ferro-Fibrous armor if you take your JR7-D and just put Ferro-Fibrous armor on it.”

So, you'd be wrong.

Personally, I don't even mind. Makes RPG-like progression matter in the campaign. I just really want an anything goes mode that's *not tied to the campaign.

/edit: Forgot the "not" :P

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 September 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Wow, I am seriously just shaking my head at all the people complaining about "limited or no customization".

No customization limits replayability? That's a f***ing crock and you know it. Or at least, you should know it.

Admit it, you just want your EZ-MODE loading up on lasers like in MW2/Mercs.

Replayability for a game with limited or no customization comes from assembling different lances/companies of mechs and using, OH GASP, actual tactics and strategy~!

Oh my god, the world is ending because you might actually be required to THINK~!

This sort of self-righteous attitude just annoys me to end. People have every right to dislike the idea of options not being available to them, especially if said options were the standard for the franchise and became an expected feature.

"Everyone who doesn't want to play their single player game the way I'd like to play mine is bad hurr durr". Gimme a break...

Edited by Luminis, 13 September 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#42 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostVerilligo, on 13 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Non-linear campaign does not mean there will be no story. Even if that were the case, I can't say I'm terribly bothered as videogame stories are typically tripe anyway. MechWarrior games are no exception.

For dumb shooters like Halo and the like, where cheesy titles like "Masterchief" are a parody in themselves, that is true.
But if you played (and understood) games like Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Witcher III, you cannot say that.

Edited by Paigan, 13 September 2017 - 01:04 PM.

#43 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

Hmm just hmmm

If what's in it is actually in it, and not just Russ's imagination it might actually be worth looking at.

Been burned so badly in the past though with unfinished or dropped features what he says and what gets produce are poles apart.

I might buy it, if it turns out as written, I won't back it though

#44 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostLuminis, on 13 September 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

This sort of self-righteous attitude just annoys me to end. People have every right to dislike the idea of options not being available to them, especially if said options were the standard for the franchise and became an expected feature.

"Everyone who doesn't want to play their single player game the way I'd like to play mine is bad hurr durr". Gimme a break...

It's called hyperbole for a reason.

Over the years here I've seen people b****ing about how standard battlemech customization makes them way better than omnimechs, and now that PGI is actually trying to make omnimechs better like people want, those same people are b****ing that they can't customize their mechs.

You can't have it both ways sunshine.

#45 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostLuminis, on 13 September 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

Good thing someone on Reddit quoted the info PCGamer gave on that.

So, you'd be wrong.

Personally, I don't even mind. Makes RPG-like progression matter in the campaign. I just really want an anything goes mode that's *not tied to the campaign.

/edit: Forgot the "not" :P

Good thing I said could, not "is".

And I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about weapon customization. previous MechWarrior games always ignored those type of things, mostly MechWarrior 4. it just focused on weapon customization and a few different other things.

#46 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 September 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

It's called hyperbole for a reason.

Over the years here I've seen people b****ing about how standard battlemech customization makes them way better than omnimechs, and now that PGI is actually trying to make omnimechs better like people want, those same people are b****ing that they can't customize their mechs.

That's an entirely different point, matey. Yours was "y'all just want EZ mode".

Besides, it's almost like these forums have individual people on it, presenting different opinions, so I kinda doubt it's the same people, but whatever.

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 September 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

You can't have it both ways sunshine.

Oh, you damn well can. By unlocking the same customisation options for Omnis that BattleMechs have, on top of swapping Pods.

#47 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

I'm happy they're not going with a linear campaign. A non-linear campaign has more replay value. There's only so many times I can play through games with linear campaigns before I get bored with the options, because it usually boils down to a handful of variations of 2-3 basic plots. It's much better to invest in a game that can potentially go on forever, which they can add DLC campaigns to as needed.

I am worried by the idea of 300 planets with different dynamically generated maps. It sounds like they're trying to do something cool with map generation, but I'm skeptical about whether they can pull it off. This sounds like something that could delay development.

Really disappointed with the lack of knockdowns in a single-player Mechwarrior game. This was the place to do it. Maybe we won't even have melee, which would be a bigger bummer.

The customization thing makes sense from a lore perspective, but ultimately it just makes sense to let customization be available for a really high price. The lore is full of different modified mechs owned by special individuals, so if we're going to be some wealthy mercenary commander with a stable full of assault mechs, it makes no sense that we can't even swap the medium laser on our Locust with a machine gun.
EDIT: I understand Bullock's argument, but it seems like a high price for customization would be a good compromise. You wouldn't upgrade your JR7-D to have FF armour if it's almost as expensive as just buying a whole new JR7-F.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 13 September 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#48 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 13 September 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Here's a TL:DR since the OP didn't provide link any links to where he got his source of information from.

Well... No. I mentioned that I got my mag from Google Newsstand. That's still good summary though.

#49 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

They mention managing your techs. So perhaps repair time will play a good part of managing your unit. If they wanted to keep customization of loadouts from being rampant. They could always have a refit time for equipping a mech with a different weapon. And of course a proportionally higher cost. So not only are you paying more. But your techs and the mech itself are locked out of use for a time. That would make for more management of your unit and still give the option to customize your mech.

#50 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 September 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

I am worried by the idea of 300 planets with different dynamically generated maps.

Afaik MW:5 is going to run on UE4.
UE4 supports procedural generation out of the box:

#51 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostExilyth, on 13 September 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Afaik MW:5 is going to run on UE4.
UE4 supports procedural generation out of the box:

It's good to know that the tech is already in place, but there's still some challenges involved, I would imagine. I wasn't so worried about whether they would figure out a good way to make the computer randomly place some trees, buildings, rivers and lakes to a blank canvas, but more worried about how they use this to make good and interesting missions that aren't repetitive, while also connecting it with the over-arching structure of different factions, the over-arching story, etc.

I hope they pull it off. I don't imagine that I will pre-order MW5, but I may buy it, if they can accomplish their goals.
And if I can play the game offline, without needing a connection with PGI servers or a season pass or something like that.

#52 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 September 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

2) No Mech customization if at all! You could get hundreds of variants from free market in-game.

so PGI is letting other Dev make meck packs that just great even more wanna buy a mech pack

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 September 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

So... I reread the article.....

Basically there are a lot of wants from Paul and Russ. The question is whether they can actually implement these features.

so just like we have colorblind mode.

Edited by kf envy, 13 September 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#53 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hm the customization aspect sounds just like Battletech PC is/will be doing it, the engine , structure and armor type, hardpoints and mby the stock heatsinks are locked , but the rest is switchable for a price ( time/money ) .

When you consider building a mech with these restrictions you find that that is restrictive enough , as you have so little weight to play around as you can't downgrade the engine or add endo and can only swithch weapons if the correct hardpoint is available, and I see little to no reason why PGI would implement hardpoint inflation in this game, much like I don't expect BT to do so.

So I expect that playing the BT game will give us a good idea about MW5 customization as it should be published before MW5 and I feel PGI might emulate BT (PC) mechanics in order to standardize expectations and experience across the IP ,

Edited by Nik Reaper, 13 September 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#54 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 September 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

indeed. i miss the days when every game had a demo, if you liked the demo, you would buy the game, if you didnt like the demo, try another one. game publishers often stashed game demos on your install cds if there was room left over. it was a golden era when developers respected their customers and games were more varied not trying to shoehorn the game into the mold of previous successful titles.

Oh my i miss the 90s :) I still have all my 95-2001 PC Gamers with CD. But even back then I would always wait for a REVIEW or at least a demo that was CLOSE to release. I remember playing the Mech 2 demo and warcraft 2 demo(i think about a year apart from each other) and was thinking "yeah, these will be damn good games". Then i waited patiently for the PC Gamer review THEN BOUGHT it. I rewarded the company for good behaviour. What's the rush? If it's a good game wait the extra week after release to read reviews. Pre-buy so you can play a **** game a day earlier? Ha, I am patient. Other games will last me until the MW5 review comes out.

#55 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

It won't feel like a Mechwarrior game with extremely limited customization. I would much rather have customization as an expensive and time consuming option instead of just rotating various variants/mechs in and out of missions. I would be fine with sized hardpoints and such restrictions as well, but not being able to change loadouts will take a lot of the fun out of the game for me. I have always enjoyed the mechlab nearly as much as the rest of any other Mechwarrior game.

#56 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

No mech lab, no money from me.

Just stupid.

#57 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 September 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

So PC Gamer again arrives at my google Newsstand, and I am reading it right now....

So, two bad news.

1) Non-linear campaign = Basically no story whatsoever.
2) No Mech customization if at all! You could get hundreds of variants from free market in-game.

One Good news.

1) Clans actually eventually appear.

At least they are avoiding huge mistake by adding Clans at least. No story.... meh.

But no mech customization? Something that all other previous Mechwarrior games had this and now we don't have. I am certain that a lot of people are not going to like it.

....well, that's if this game is even remotely good that is really.

None linear story is probably the best news about MW5 so far. Linear story are played once, you dont influence them with your actions except for basic choices. Dynamic campaign can be replayed or never stopped being played and feel alive.

No customization would be best. Stick to lore loadout, it's easier to balance. Give mwo customisation and suddenly, 99% of every mech sucks unless they also have that same level of meta cheese customization. Keep it lore/roleplay friendly.

View PostArnold The Governator, on 13 September 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Here's a TL:DR since the OP didn't provide link any links to where he got his source of information from.

- There will not be a series of linear missions. Instead the player will be in command of a mercenary unit and choose between missions across the Inner Sphere.

- Around 300 planets in the Inner Sphere will be open for business, "letting you travel between the Great Houses while taking increasingly demanding contracts and building reputation with each faction as you also manage your lances of warriors and supporting technicians."

- The timeline will progress, with new technologies becoming available and the Clans arriving.

- You start the game with one weak Mech and work your way up.

- Mech customization will be very limited (if at all possible). The game will feature more than 60 chassis with 300 to 400 variants.

- In different parts of the Inner Sphere, different Mechs will be for sale.

- There will also be different weapon manufacturers.

- The build played the the PCGamer writer did not include any free market aspects.

- The damage model has been improved. There are different stages of armor peeling away until the internal structure begins to show.

- There will be infantry, artillery, land and air vehicles.

- The maps for the 300 planets will be dynamically generated. Some parameters: density of foliage, terrain patterns, weather, time of day.

- There won't be any Mech knockdowns.

- Buildings will be destructible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6zw4ku/pcgamer_hands_on_with_mechwarrior_5_mercenaries/?st=j7jgeavr&sh=9d8bb0b7

This is alot on PGI's plate, so I will wait and see how the reviews are first before I think about getting it. If they deliver all the things stated above and have a optional co-op contracts with other players, then that will be a strong selling point for me. Would be nice if they had a clan DLC with my pet mech in there as well for the clan invasion. *hint hint* Posted Image

Well DAMN, this looks much better than i had expected. I want to do like a lot though and go "ill believe it when i see it" route. Setting low expectation can only have good effect in the end.

Did i read randomly generated maps? boy oh boy i cant wait to see this in action. This has to be tweaked to replace FW!

Edited by DAYLEET, 13 September 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#58 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

For me Clans mark the beginning destruction of the Franchise and so i can very well leave them away.
If they are in i will put their Heads on the Antennas of my Mechs till they rot down and show no mercy till the last of them lies facedown in the dirt.

#59 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 September 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Wow, I am seriously just shaking my head at all the people complaining about "limited or no customization".

No customization limits replayability? That's a f***ing crock and you know it. Or at least, you should know it.

Admit it, you just want your EZ-MODE loading up on lasers like in MW2/Mercs.

Replayability for a game with limited or no customization comes from assembling different lances/companies of mechs and using, OH GASP, actual tactics and strategy~!

Oh my god, the world is ending because you might actually be required to THINK~!

Seriously? Are you actually trying to tell me that having a 'mech already built for you and being unable to change it requires more thought that figuring out how to build one yourself? What are you smoking and can I have some?

#60 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostDread Render, on 13 September 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Non-linear campaign is a "Good" thing.
Smile and say yeaaaa ;-)
It means the story is dynamic and will change depending on the decisions you make.
Yeaaaa ;-)

View PostCathy, on 13 September 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Hmm just hmmm

If what's in it is actually in it, and not just Russ's imagination it might actually be worth looking at.

Been burned so badly in the past though with unfinished or dropped features what he says and what gets produce are poles apart.

I might buy it, if it turns out as written, I won't back it though

Let not forget all of Russ et als promises and big ideas for MWO;

Anything Russ is "promising" or "telling us to expect" or "plans to include" is outright Bovine Droppings until we see it with our own eyes.

I for one am not giving them a dime for MW5 until I see the finished product. If you've been around here long enough you will do the same thing. if you are relatively new to PGI then I forgive you for your ignorance.

NOTE: To be honest this approach for me applies to the entire current method of "early access" baiting games and buying into them. How many of us have been burned by these games?

I come from the days when they used to beg you to beta test their games not convince you to give you money in order to bug test their often never completed junk ware. With Battletech, it's just a lot more personal than other games, and with PGI it's strictly "Fool me once...."

Edited by TLBFestus, 13 September 2017 - 03:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users