• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 20 September 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

So it's a robot Pokémon RTS?
Sounds good to me.

Yep doesn't sound bad. Sure will be interesting how it will be done. Should be good coming from the company that made this game, one of the best, if not the best online games available. Not sure about the budget though. Got to have a big budget to do amazing things.

#403 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

View Postarcana75, on 20 September 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Ok sure that's lore-accurate, so a show will have to take the Iron Man route of a floating head with floating UIs. However for dramatic purposes, a simpler headmount will be more captivating for audiences, as it's easier to relate to a pilot in a cockpit ala Pacific Rim.

Actually if done right it could be done both ways. The pilot looking out from the helmet to see the holographic battlefield display, and to get some pretty interesting shots of whatever they're shooting at, and then from outside the helmet looking in so it could show the actual character during speaking parts.

But as I said, that's if it's done right, and I get the feeling that would be an almost impossible task.

View Postarcana75, on 20 September 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

I'm not a Gundam person tbh. But I'll definitely check out this 08th MS Team.

Take my word for it, you won't be disappointed by 08th MS Team. The characters are relatable, the story is easy to follow cause of the small episode count, the action is fast and furious.

And the intro song is just so f***ing awesome.

Edited by Alan Davion, 20 September 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#404 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostChuck B, on 20 September 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Did you ever play the early Beta of MW:O? thats what it would look like ;), Look up Smith and Tinker. They basicly coded the game before handing it over/partnering with PGI but then leaving the project before release to form HBS.

Yes, I did. But you are confusing something here. S&T tried to fund Mechwarrior 5 together with PGI, after that failed, PGI/IGP bought the license to produce MWO. S&T wasn't involved in the latter.

And the early beta of MWO looked better but was basicly the same game as we have now.

#405 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 20 September 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

I forgot about that game :/. Luckily Shadow Run finally received the treatment it deserved not too long ago.

I think it would deserve even more than it got, but at least it was given some justice.

#406 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 16 September 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Actually there's a very good example of a well funded merc unit running into some trouble just repairing a stock mech.

In the 6th Gray Death Saga novel, Operation: Excalibur, the lead tech of the Gray Death's Mech repair facilities on Glengarry was complaining about not having an engine to get a Gray Death Marauder mech back up and running, a Vlar 300 STD engine if I recall.

It wasn't until elements of the 3rd Davion Guards landed on Glengarry, at about the same time they landed on Caledonia, demanding the Gray Death surrender in what had been yet another attempt to brand the Gray Death as criminals.

The Gray Death mechs still on Glengarry managed to beat back the Davion Guards, and the lead mech tech would get the 300 STD engine he needed from a downed Davion Orion.

Well, yeah.
Maybe I didn't phrase it well enough, but I mean that the MECHWARRIOR PC GAMES don't give you enough reason.
Playing a campaign game of Battletech with full repair/maintenance rules as seen in Strat Ops gives you more than ample reason to want to keep a mech in its' stock config.

MWO, nor any of the previous Mechwarrior titles, reflected this. The only real exception being Mechwarrior 1, which didn't even allow refitting to other canon configs.

As far as well-funded goes, I'm less talking about merc units, much more talking about house lords etc.

Edited by ice trey, 21 September 2017 - 06:28 AM.

#407 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

View Postice trey, on 21 September 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

As far as well-funded goes, I'm less talking about merc units, much more talking about house lords etc.

PFFFT a House Lord can light their cigar with the amount of C-Bills it would take to run even a small merc unit.

As an example, the custom merc unit I built, which is actually the remains of a Draconis March Militia unit, which was one of several combined arms regiments, but is now a combined arms battalion, requires 18.5 Million C-Bills per year to pay the salaries of all the combat and transport personnel in it.

Edited by Alan Davion, 21 September 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#408 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:31 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 September 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

PFFFT a House Lord can light their cigar with the amount of C-Bills it would take to run even a small merc unit.

As an example, the custom merc unit I built, which is actually the remains of a Draconis March Militia unit, which was one of several combined arms regiments, but is now a combined arms battalion, requires 18.5 Million C-Bills per year to pay the salaries of all the combat and transport personnel in it.

That's what I mean... the guys who can afford to light cigars as you mentioned are pretty much the only ones in canon that can afford to have heavily customised mechs and keep them in working order. Even field refits borne of desperation seemed to be pretty rare - though refit kits are usually the exception. Customisation without the absolute highest quality facilities and techs means a fast track to having hangar queens.

That's the point that all the Mechwarrior titles with customization have missed. There is no point to stock configs or factory-certified field refit kits when there are no repercussions to making munchkinzilla the lego-stack.

Edited by ice trey, 22 September 2017 - 04:39 AM.

#409 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

But...but...but...Justin Allard and his tech replaced the Luxor AC of his Centurion with a Pontiac AC! Posted Image

#410 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 22 September 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

But...but...but...Justin Allard and his tech replaced the Luxor AC of his Centurion with a Pontiac AC! Posted Image

Solaris 7 is kind of the exception to the rule. Crazy crap happens there all the time. Besides, what with the betting and all, a lot of the time Mechwarriors make more in one match there than a whole Merc unit makes in a year.

#411 Zacharias McLeod

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 22 September 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

You understand the different between an normal Mech used by mercenarys / house armies and the often modified Solaris 7 Mechs?

The customization of the Solaris 7 Mech cost often more than a brand new Mech. They make this because the fans want a spectacular show and pay to see the fights. But only the wealthy stables have the money to do this.

Beside the money you often need a factory for the customizing. Solaris 7 has the factorys for this work but a merc or house unit must send their Mech to a planet with the right factory (normaly you send the Mech to the a factory that produce the Mech).

Edited by Zacharias McLeod, 22 September 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#412 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 22 September 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

Solaris 7 is kind of the exception to the rule. Crazy crap happens there all the time. Besides, what with the betting and all, a lot of the time Mechwarriors make more in one match there than a whole Merc unit makes in a year.

It's probably better to say that in Michael Stackpoles world a lot of crazy crap happens. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users