So... The New Mw5 Info From Pc Gamer...

412 replies to this topic

#1 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

So PC Gamer again arrives at my google Newsstand, and I am reading it right now....

So, two bad news.

1) Non-linear campaign = Basically no story whatsoever.
2) No Mech customization if at all! You could get hundreds of variants from free market in-game.

One Good news.

1) Clans actually eventually appear.

At least they are avoiding huge mistake by adding Clans at least. No story.... meh.

But no mech customization? Something that all other previous Mechwarrior games had this and now we don't have. I am certain that a lot of people are not going to like it.

....well, that's if this game is even remotely good that is really.

#2 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Non-linear campaign does not mean there will be no story. Even if that were the case, I can't say I'm terribly bothered as videogame stories are typically tripe anyway. MechWarrior games are no exception.

#3 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Well, if the idea is that they're sticking to pre-invasion Inner Sphere for the most part, that actually makes sense. The entire reason that variants exist is because IS Battlemechs are not easily customized. Certainly not on the "instant and for free" basis that previous Mechwarrior games have had it. The entire point of a Clan Omnimech, and why they were so devastating the first time the IS encountered them, is that they can be quickly reconfigured to suit different battlefield roles. An IS Battlemech, by contrast, requires a lot of time, money, and engineering to refit.

As for a "nonlinear campaign meaning no story"? So what? Previous Mechwarrior games aren't known for the stories either. At best, people remember them for quirky little moments in individual missions and fluff text, but they've never been big on overarching story.

Edited by Trissila, 13 September 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#4 SlippnGriff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSpud farm

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

The mechlab is almost half the game itself wtf. Pgi pls dont ruin. I understand how lore had their set variants that are massed produced, but i dont want to run some sub par crap when im able to spec out my mech with the money i make in game. I really really hope they change that.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I have money and I want to lay it down right now

before a bunch of people tell me how bad and broken MW5 is (never even heard of the term broken until this game)

I just want to pay my money and go my separate way

#6 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

When it comes to a single-player campaign, I don't even particularly care what era it is. Succession wars, clan invasion, later -- there's always stories to tell. The quality of the game will be determined by the other stuff, as far as I'm concerned.

The 12 vs 12 'mech deathmatch of MWO was a particularly problematic setting for IS vs clans.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

like i said before. im waiting for reviews, if they are good i might get the game off steam or whatever when they do one of their sales.

#8 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 13 September 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

before a bunch of people tell me how bad and broken MW5 is (never even heard of the term broken until this game)

People like you are the reason bad games keep getting made.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostNaglinator, on 13 September 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

People like you are the reason bad games keep getting made.

indeed. i miss the days when every game had a demo, if you liked the demo, you would buy the game, if you didnt like the demo, try another one. game publishers often stashed game demos on your install cds if there was room left over. it was a golden era when developers respected their customers and games were more varied not trying to shoehorn the game into the mold of previous successful titles.

#10 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

For me a non-linear campaign is a good thing, as well as no customization.

The bad thing is the eventual introduction of the Clans.

View PostTrissila, on 13 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

An IS Battlemech, by contrast, requires a lot of time, money, and engineering to refit.

Actually it only needs a good dice roll.

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 September 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

it was a golden era when developers respected their customers and games were more varied not trying to shoehorn the game into the mold of previous successful titles.

I too pine for an era that never existed.

#12 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 13 September 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Not really a good habit for everyone else as well as yourself.

#13 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 September 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

it was a golden era when developers respected their customers and games were more varied not trying to shoehorn the game into the mold of previous successful titles.

When did this era happened? Since the beginning of video game development there were devolopers that only cared about the quick dollar and didn't gave a **** about their customers. The only difference then and now was the lack of internet to spread the news.

#14 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Well, if the idea is that they're sticking to pre-invasion Inner Sphere for the most part, that actually makes sense. The entire reason that variants exist is because IS Battlemechs are not easily customized. Certainly not on the "instant and for free" basis that previous Mechwarrior games have had it. The entire point of a Clan Omnimech, and why they were so devastating the first time the IS encountered them, is that they can be quickly reconfigured to suit different battlefield roles. An IS Battlemech, by contrast, requires a lot of time, money, and engineering to refit.

As for a "nonlinear campaign meaning no story"? So what? Previous Mechwarrior games aren't known for the stories either. At best, people remember them for quirky little moments in individual missions and fluff text, but they've never been big on overarching story.

Responding to your second portion- So just settle huh. Ya no thanks. It's pretty terrible logic to be okay with that level of expectation, but then again, we are talking about PGI.

At any point..... at any point a game company can make a decision throughout itself to step up to the plate and actually commit to making a (complete) work of art and not just some fecal matter smeared up on a board. Especially for a franchise (or IP,whatever) that has such a wide range of fans that really enjoy depth, and dynamism but even further than that, actually deserve a quality title. Esp considering how long that we have kept this ship floating. We are at a point in time where video games have actually become a form of modern art. So I don't buy into that logic and never will.

Edited by JackalBeast, 13 September 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#15 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostHeffay, on 13 September 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I too pine for an era that never existed.
Sure it did. It was called the 90's.

#16 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

So... I reread the article.....

Basically there are a lot of wants from Paul and Russ. The question is whether they can actually implement these features.

#17 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostYellonet, on 13 September 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Lol... the "me" decade? That was the pinnacle of selfless behavior from anyone, let alone game developers?

#18 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Non-linear campaign is a "Good" thing.
Smile and say yeaaaa ;-)
It means the story is dynamic and will change depending on the decisions you make.
Yeaaaa ;-)

Edited by Dread Render, 13 September 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#19 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostYellonet, on 13 September 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Those same 90s that spawned the trend of unfinished games that had to be patched on release day to even remotly function?

#20 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

They should still have mech customization for the simple fact that every other mechwarrior game in the franchise had it. It's kind of stupid to not have it since all that you are doing is limiting the players that wants to get more replay value. I know a few people that only play single player games for their ability to modify and customize their own game to their liking. So why limit a single player experience even more than what it already limited with?

I also liked the campaign in MW:2 and GBL. While the two games didn't have anything that blew my socks off in terms of story, it was at least immersive to the point where I actually did research to Clan Ghost Bear when I was a Clan Wolf loyalist for all of these years. I think story is important in a newer mechwarrior game because keep in mind, MW:5 Mercs is going to be introduced to people that have little to no experience to the previous games. In the eyes of new people to the franchise, having no story or introduction to the battletech franchise and if this game is just going to be another generic mech arcade shooter with merc contracts is not going to help it in the long run.

So if what PC Gamer is stating to be true according to the OP, it looks like PGI is already shooting themselves in the foot with this project as well. Lovely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users