Any Idea When Pgi Is Going To Fix The Hit Detection?

26 replies to this topic

#1 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Seriously. When are they going to fix the hit detection? This is getting a bit stupid for my taste.

#2 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

Uhm reeeeeeeeee? Hit detection has been fixed for years: your ping and lag (displayed in game default key is f9) or relative isp problems are all issues to look into :3

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hit-reg is still dodgy, but I don't think it is a frequent enough issue.

#4 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

The only time I have issues with hitreg is when using CUAC 20s.

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Hit Detection is pretty good compared to the Beta - dont expect it be any better bcs the effort is not reasonable for that expected little gain!

Also Internet Routing has all kind of troubles lately especially when Storms (Storms?) break Underwater-Cables, or the evil Northcorean Underwater Traffic Sabotage And Camouflage guys do their work to lead world into chaos for provocing the US to start WW3...which will leave North Corea as the only survivor with WORLD DOMINATION - ALL HAIL THER GENIUS KIM ILL KONG !!!

Posted Image

Edited by Thorqemada, 13 September 2017 - 10:32 PM.

#6 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

Hit detection is pretty good at the moment, IMHO. It's leagues above what it used to be before HSR, and the majority of complaints I see nowadays are from pilots trying to kill lights with lasers, not realizing that they're spilling a decent portion of their laser tics into the air and dirt around their enemy.

OP, do you have anything specific you wanted to mention? Any particular instances of poor hit detection?

#7 Aliiza

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

My my my.

Hit reg is pretty decent these days and I personally speaking live in country that reroutes connections via decent margin plus I do have wireless (4G) Inet connection. So I can tell that firing Gauss is sometimes picky and my own connections latency can wobble from 80-250ms in any game mode easily, but have managed to get used to it. Heh I do stream once in while and even then I dont find hit reg to be in bad condition.

There are few other triple A titles out there that have massive companies backing em up and have alot worser hit reg than we do.

Cheers

#8 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

You know the answer to that question. When the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.

Once I shot a legged Arctic Cheetah dead in the center torso with dual AC20's at 200m...and nothing happened. I guess thanks to the Cheetah's Quantum Phase Armor the shot passed right through it. Posted Image

Edited by Dollar Bill, 14 September 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#9 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

If you are SEA region, be prepare to weather the lag for a month of two until the submarine cable are fixed.
https://www.theregis...ine_cables_cut/

#10 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

Hitreg isn't that bad nowadays.

If you want to see how awful hitreg CAN be, i'd suggest giving the new Quake game a try. It probably has a ******** netcode than MWO ever had.

#11 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Once internet technology makes it possible and every country on the planet has adapted it. Until then, MWO will suffer from the same online hit reg issues that every other online games does. Don't want hit reg issues? Play single player games.

Edited by Savage Wolf, 14 September 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#12 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostMadRover, on 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Seriously. When are they going to fix the hit detection? This is getting a bit stupid for my taste.

To determine if there is anything to be fixed in the first place, you would have to rule out network latency as a cause. Or more precisely factor out the network-related part of the problem and reevaluate the "rest".
The software cannot compensate that part, because doing gamemechanical decisions on the clientside is prone to hacking/cheating/whatever or plain simply concurrency inconsistencies. The server has to make the important decisions to guarantee a safe and consistent gameplay and the server and the client(s) are XX ms apart, so the initial determination is next to impossible for everyone outside the building where the servers are physically located, no matter how hard you flame.

And yes, for some gameplay problems, you have to be a software developer before you can properly discuss them.

Edited by Paigan, 14 September 2017 - 01:32 AM.

#13 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

@bill love the SG shout out, did the Tollans have a hand in the cheetah?

#14 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

Funny how EA's MPBT 3025 had perfect hit registration, even with 250-300 ms ping...

#15 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 14 September 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

Funny how EA's MPBT 3025 had perfect hit registration, even with 250-300 ms ping...

Do you know that (= provable) or is that just your "feeling" / opinion?
And do you know if the hit reg was client-side or server-side?

Would you want to have a client-side hit-reg logic?
If you answer "yes" or "I don't care, as long as it works", you should better not participate in the discussion because you lack the basic understanding required to properly deal with the topic.

Edited by Paigan, 14 September 2017 - 06:17 AM.

#16 Grayson Dillinger

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:19 AM

I think that there are some weird things that happen at times, but not always.
Example... I was in the training grounds with my new Marauder. Shot the Atlas in the "dangly bits" from the rear at 150 meters with dual PPC and single gauss slug alpha.
Stripped the head armor and turned the structure yellow.
Could not repeat that feat again.
Granted, most guys head would explode after getting kicked in the nuts from behind like that, but still...

#17 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

View PostPaigan, on 14 September 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Do you know that (= provable) or is that just your "feeling" / opinion?
And do you know if the hit reg was client-side or server-side?

Would you want to have a client-side hit-reg logic?
If you answer "yes" or "I don't care, as long as it works", you should better not participate in the discussion because you lack the basic understanding required to properly deal with the topic.

Short of obtaining the MPBT 3025 source code and setting up a server for it to do testing, its impossible to prove it at this point. But ask anyone who played it, there were zero issues with hit detection, where you shot was where you hit. Everything was hit scan though, even missiles, but it was better for balance (missiles werent disadvantaged compared to lasers due to flight speed for example), it just looked a bit weird since the graphics werent hitscan obviously.

No clue if it was client or server side, and its not like EA devs were willing to say. But for everyone else who had high ping, it was amazing being able to play a real time shooter without being disadvantaged by high ping. In MWO there is a very noticeable delay with high ping that makes firing non hitscan weapons problematic, since it introduces an unpredictable delay when leading your shots.

#18 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostMadRover, on 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

they said "soon" about 5 years ago.

#19 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

I can safely say that I feel the hitreg is fine. It was improved ages ago. Now I don't see much beyond what I typically see in any online shooter. Occasional lag spikes, a few glitches here and there and the random player jumping into NA servers from the bottom of the Mariana Trench apparently with a 2000 ping lol

View PostJun Watarase, on 14 September 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

Short of obtaining the MPBT 3025 source code and setting up a server for it to do testing, its impossible to prove it at this point. But ask anyone who played it, there were zero issues with hit detection, where you shot was where you hit. Everything was hit scan though, even missiles, but it was better for balance (missiles werent disadvantaged compared to lasers due to flight speed for example), it just looked a bit weird since the graphics werent hitscan obviously.

No clue if it was client or server side, and its not like EA devs were willing to say. But for everyone else who had high ping, it was amazing being able to play a real time shooter without being disadvantaged by high ping. In MWO there is a very noticeable delay with high ping that makes firing non hitscan weapons problematic, since it introduces an unpredictable delay when leading your shots.

I'll agree, but I think you also need to point out that it was a completely different engine, the mechanics, physics, and everything about that game worked completely differently. They're both examples of online PvP in the MW series, but beyond that it's apples and oranges.

#20 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 13 September 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

Hit detection is pretty good at the moment, IMHO. It's leagues above what it used to be before HSR, and the majority of complaints I see nowadays are from pilots trying to kill lights with lasers, not realizing that they're spilling a decent portion of their laser tics into the air and dirt around their enemy.

OP, do you have anything specific you wanted to mention? Any particular instances of poor hit detection?

Drilling an Awesome's back with MPLs from point blank and doing no damage with no lag. Another instance is shots hit my RT and get spread and all the damage goes to my left torso. Really weird stuff.

Edited by MadRover, 14 September 2017 - 02:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users