Alt-Tab = Refresh Drop

8 replies to this topic

#1 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

I just witnessed, that always when I alt-tab to the desktop, my refresh rate drops down from 100hz to 60hz. Desktop runs at 100hz, but when I get back into the game, it's at 60hz.

I found a workaround for it by changing the signal from display port 1.2 to 1.1 and back, and then I have 100hz again. Not the most satisfying way to do it.

Anyone with a better solution?

#2 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Seems like it's not only when I alt tab, just had it after a new game start. But other games work just fine. I wonder, if it's my Display or the game.

#3 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

have you got vsync on ? ... normally, the mech lab will only show 60 fps, but mech turning scrolling whatever is further limited to 30 .... the only time you would be above that at all, is in game .... if your using a 100 hz monitor with vsync, it will still use those lower values, when it suits it ...

#4 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:07 AM

I tried different options in the Nvidia Setup and now have V-Sync off. With the latter on, I have everywhere 60 hz. Like I said, I tried it with other Games, Desktop everywhere it shows me 100hz, only when MWO starts it changes to 60 hz. Now I found out, that I only have to turn on and off my Display in game for getting the proper refresh rate. Not perfect, but it's ok.

It's a new freesync display, but I use a 1080 with it.

#5 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

is the behaviour consistent with other titles ? if you can find a title another title that randomly decides your own selected refresh rate is irrelevant anyway ... like, does it stay low, or always move back up to 100hz ... I honestly haven't really gotten to mess with any freesync stuff yet ... I had a 3d monitor a few years ago, that ended up just basically having a high refresh rate .... 3d at the time was very puke ....

#6 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

No other game does this. Just tried 5 more other games, and all work fine, regarding the refresh rate.

#7 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

I have the same issue with my 144hz freesync monitor. I "solve" it by running v-sync off, freesync on. Load the drop, enter the monitor's settings and I turn freesync off. This generally sets the screen to run at 144hz. Since I need freesync, I then re-enter the monitor's settings and I turn freesync back on for fluid goodness.

But yeah, this is just another MWO specific issue.

#8 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

use fullwindow mode instead of fullscreen?

#9 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

Found a solution: Custom Resolution Utility.

Disclaimer: If you **** up something make sure you have Splashtop or some remote program running so you can revert back the changes you've done in case...

----------------------------

Can't say for AMD but works on my Nvidia card.

1. Make sure your profile is on (active)
2. Deselect every tickbox on the left
3. Find your settings for your max resolution / refresh rate first and make a printscreen or write values down somewhere.
4. Get rid of all resolutions in every section, also in the extension block, go over all the data including EDID and take it all out.
5. Add new resolution in 'Detailed resolutions' and Extension block with the values you wrote down earlier.
6. Reboot or use restart(64).exe to reset driver.

Result:
- Only highest refresh rate available in Nvidia Control panel, 60hz, 85hz, 100hz and whatever you had are removed.
- Forces Windows and all games, exclusive full screen or not to run at maximum refresh rate at all times, no matter what resolution even.
- Full screen optimization works nicely here (Windows 10 1807), basically full screen + instant alt tab best of both worlds. Lowest input lag. Best of both worlds :-)

I bet this fixes a lot of refresh rate issues on a lot of games and system wide...

Edited by M T, 20 July 2018 - 03:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users