Guaranteed Way To Improve Your Performance In Fp

79 replies to this topic

#1 IL MECHWARRIOR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

option 1)
go on comp queue, leaderboard, find the top 6 teams and ask some of them what to do

option 2)
faction play, leaderboards, merc pilots, find the top 20 and add them as friends, than ask them what to do.

never read suggestions written here and there: even 95% of the tier 1 pilots are a bunch of pugs: these posts here are full of noobs that tell other noobs, that are even more noob than them, to bring ******** builds. As a consequence, you get farmed.

Quick tip and quick summary:

Faction play
LASER BOATS (LL+ERML on heatgen or range quirked mechs) (example, black knight 6b 3ll+6erml xl350)
ERLL snipers (range and high mounts) (example, battlemaster 1g, banshee 3e)
2ERLL+2gauss snipers (ilya or black widow, if not, ctf 1x 3erll gauss)
2gauss+4 ermeds (firebrand, warhammer 6r)
................................and readapt every map..........................
you need 30 secs to change drop deck if you know what you are doing
Scouting
SRM spam (bushwaker 5srm6 fusion engine)
ac20+srm (cent ah xl)

Edited by anonymous223, 14 September 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

View Postanonymous223, on 14 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

option 1)
go on comp queue, leaderboard, find the top 6 teams and ask some of them what to do

option 2)
faction play, leaderboards, merc pilots, find the top 20 and add them as friends, than ask them what to do.

Now you naughty boy :P

1. Most teams in CompQ have no interest in FP. Comp builds differ from FP as well in many instances due to different dynamics in FP. That said anyone in CompQ, inside the top 20 teams - is by far well above the avg skill in FP. There were also plenty of good players not IN the CompQ (like, me), because it was a queue that was too easily 'gamed'.

2. IMO - be wary of this. There are a number of pilots in the top 20 who are there simply because they play a lot. Not because they are any good. Hell there are plenty in the top 100 who are only there because of mass games and such players should not be used for advice if you actually want to get better.

I'm not the best player of MWO but I have a very firm grasp on FP, as do you. Different styles of course but it's about making that style work for you.

The biggest power in FP is being in a team and working as a 12 man, not a bunch of PUGs that resemble a bunch of chickens running around in a field.

#3 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

I will add a #3, find out who drop calls for the main units, and ask them about what to do. 100% they will be the people with the most information on every single map.

From what i know...

Kcom-Pat Kell, Majinga, Starwulf
Mj12-Rick hunter,Kotis11,Bob
MS-Kwea, Bandito, Xavier
BCMC-Hobbles, Javin,
Derp-Fietoe
IDI-Baldy/Pugger
07-Heavy Cav
420-Skyravenwood/Arc Welder (i think)

There are way more units, but i have never droped with them, or know who leads them. But these are the main guys i would talk too about strats.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:39 PM

You seriously left me out just to trigger me didn't you?

(I'd post a hilarious triggered GIF if I wasn't scared of being banned again :()

Edited by justcallme A S H, 14 September 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#5 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

i mean, of course i left you out lol, your the only one posting in here ;)

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:32 PM

Lol.

#7 IL MECHWARRIOR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

well, those drop callers usually say

"push push push"

there is nothing wronger than that.

brawling works for the mid level player that has equipped whole bunch of srms.
but if you really want to get better, hide, peek, alpha, hide, peek, alpha.
push does not exist, the team advances when the enemies get out traded and start hiding.
If enemies hide from the start, just spam air strikes, no need to walk in like a bunch of sheeps and get farmed.

and at the end, comp builds almost do not differ from faction play ones, the only exception is no radar derp and more survival.
The story of the different play stiles works until your skill level is 7 out of 10
after that, there is only the meta.

#8 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

You don't have to preach to me about trading, if your unit slacks off, does poke, and lollygags around to get air striked, or taken to 70-80% before getting in brawl range, yes your going to lose, but a top level brawler will be at 90-95% when pushing in..I've played with the best brawlers, and the best pokers, and the story is always the same. The better player will win. It all depends on map and what units are playing. try to take a high alpha or meta comp build on Tiaga,Sulfur,Hellbore,Vitric or Grim, tell me how that works out for you.

#9 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

View Postanonymous223, on 15 September 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

"push push push"

But do the above DC's win? If they do and if they actually had simplified the tactics to "push push push" and still win, then who are you to argue?

I can't speak for all of them but the point Ash is making is that if you want to get better at FP, the best thing you can do is get into a group doing FP that is seriously trying to win, and not one with a bunch of yolos and "experimental builds"

And yes, aggression is a key part of tactics, its more than pushing. Its timing and positioning and scouting with a LOT of communication.

#10 IL MECHWARRIOR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

in fact, i am not here to argue with anyone. I don't need to.
those big 10-12 men groups lead by those guys are so efficient that 3-4 real pros are enough to farm them all, they are defenetly not an example.
Go on yt and watch EMP, SJR and EON streamings (no JGx streamings around atm)
Learn from there, not from a couple of potatoe farmers that zerg with linebackers and all that bullcrap.

by playing in those groups you become weaker and weaker and weaker everyday, cause you learn to put your job on the shoulder of your team, furthermore you just farm tier 5 pugs.

Go solo, alone vs those 10 men premades, and still carry 3500-4000 damage, that way you will become stronger.

Edited by anonymous223, 15 September 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#11 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 September 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

Lol.

#12 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

View Postanonymous223, on 15 September 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Go solo, alone vs those 10 men premades, and still carry 3500-4000 damage, that way you will become stronger.

That is pug armor mastery, not success

My apologies, I misread the title of the thread. It has nothing to do with actually winning...

Guaranteeing "performance" improvement in FP is like some herbal supplements advertising better "performance" in the bedroom... You might be able to go longer and do more, but that doesn't mean you are doing your partner(s) any favors...

Edited by MovinTarget, 15 September 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#13 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

Mainly I just did this: Play, die, evaluate, adjust, play, die, evaluate, adjust, and so on.
I mostly give the new guys who are open for it tips on their builds other then that they themselves need to improve their game performance which can only happen if you did the above. :P

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 September 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

2. IMO - be wary of this. There are a number of pilots in the top 20 who are there simply because they play a lot. Not because they are any good. Hell there are plenty in the top 100 who are only there because of mass games and such players should not be used for advice if you actually want to get better.

There's also another factor too.

Much like "Metamechs", some of the top players got there by feeding ******** to other players. ******** metamech tiers of usefulness, ******** metamech builds which are good, but not great and very niche. Then you have craploads of players using these metamechs, and that's how you get a top player. Someone who knows all of these builds and purposely designed their flaws so that they could see them and decimate them when they are most disadvantaged.

Now how do you be a top team? By helping the other teams get better, or by giving them predictable tactics so that you know how to run them into the ground every time?

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:37 AM

This is why my anti-meta "heresy" builds work so damn well. The weaknesses in Meta mech builds are so apparent that all you need is to stay out of the situations where they excel and hit them when they are vulnerable. Almost universally this boils down to "Avoid the first hit and never let up" since they are always hot and not designed for DPS with a set condition of range depending on the setup. Tack this with "Aim for the balls" for added effect if you don't want to be a good sport about slaughtering metamechs.

When you come across a cold burst damage mech, the approach is reasonably simple. Move diagonally (as cold builds are relying on ballisticsand this makes leading rather difficult and imprecise) and if possible, attack when someone ELSE is their main target. If you are the main target, get the leg and then swing around behind them.

Edited by Koniving, 16 September 2017 - 05:39 AM.

#16 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

I really want and mostly like FP because of the drop decks and variety. That being said....

I tried the team thing and that isn't the panacea some above talk about. (Since the first team left the game entirely and the second doesn't play FP anymore because of the massive internal gameplay problems it has. So, that's 97 fewer FP players....)

I watched the YT's and most of them are making fun of noobs and telling the world how good these "gamers" think they are.
I wonder, what would happen if I created a map that no one had access to "game-out" and then had the top 5 teams play it without practice? Want to bet it'd be "farming time for experts" and look like Keystone cops....

Thanks for the advice above really; some of us really want to play Faction because we believe that FP "is" the reason MWO exists.... It's where the actual "story" of the conflict unfolds....

May need a new team......know anybody? PS... I'm a potato at the moment but like learning.....

Edited by Asym, 16 September 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#17 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 September 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

This is why my anti-meta "heresy" builds work so damn well. The weaknesses in Meta mech builds are so apparent that all you need is to stay out of the situations where they excel and hit them when they are vulnerable. Almost universally this boils down to "Avoid the first hit and never let up" since they are always hot and not designed for DPS with a set condition of range depending on the setup. Tack this with "Aim for the balls" for added effect if you don't want to be a good sport about slaughtering metamechs.

When you come across a cold burst damage mech, the approach is reasonably simple. Move diagonally (as cold builds are relying on ballisticsand this makes leading rather difficult and imprecise) and if possible, attack when someone ELSE is their main target. If you are the main target, get the leg and then swing around behind them.

Damnit Koniving, I think you just distilled MWO down to the two single-most useful tips ever given in these forums.

#18 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:12 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 September 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

Someone with your stats shouldn't talk about killing "meta mechs", or really, killing anything.

View Postanonymous223, on 15 September 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

"push push push"

brawling works for the mid level player that has equipped whole bunch of srms.
but if you really want to get better, hide, peek, alpha, hide, peek, alpha.
push does not exist, the team advances when the enemies get out traded and start hiding.
If enemies hide from the start, just spam air strikes, no need to walk in like a bunch of sheeps and get farmed.

and at the end, comp builds almost do not differ from faction play ones, the only exception is no radar derp and more survival.
The story of the different play stiles works until your skill level is 7 out of 10
after that, there is only the meta.

There's a time to push and a time to trade, all good players know this. Comp builds will generally work in FP, apart from Gauss builds that might carry less ammo due to comp being 8vs8 and not needing as many shots. That being said, I've had no issues using a Deathstrike or a mini Deathstrike Night Gyr with only 3 tons of ammo and getting 1.5K+ damage out of each mech even with that limited ammo.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

View PostVxheous, on 16 September 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

Someone with your stats shouldn't talk about killing "meta mechs", or really, killing anything.

I tank my stats for fun since Tier 2 is boring as **** and it isn't hard to go back down and then **** with the new players for the gags. If you can flip to stat history when the game was fun and you'd probably be kissing your own bum as well as mine, and I barely played in the last couple of years because lets be honest, regardless of what PGI says this is NOT a Battletech game and it is pretty poor as a multiplayer Mechwarrior title. PGI does bandaids instead of fixes to ongoing balance issues and makes up random ******** to make up for poor design decisions made in 2012 which we will continue to see more and more poorly thought up and inconsistent mechanics and balance decisions that wouldn't be necessary if a stock AC/20 wasn't churning more damage than a RAC/5 could in tabletop within less than any given 10 seconds.

The 1989 Mechwarrior game is far more complex than this and just as well balanced...which isn't saying **** because that game was horrifically balanced.

Posted Image
Have a beer and enjoy Call of Battletech, the twitchy mech shooter. Posted Image I gave you the fastest way to kill metamechs if you ever see one. Not the most fun way. I like doing **** that is fun and by that I mean giving the other guy a sporting chance.

Things like stop in front of the guy and type... *Rolls down window. "Pardon me, do you have any grey poupon? No? Too bad." Rolls up window and shoots.* and then kill the guy. OR dance in front of him while he's overheated and then chain fire your machine guns to make the kill. Or systematically sever each and every one of his limbs, while he and his three friends are shooting you, and STILL kill the ****** before you die.

(Grey poupon gameplay example.)

That's fun.
Easy kills are just boring as heck.

Edited by Koniving, 17 September 2017 - 05:16 AM.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

And as a last thing, stats are meaningless. You can have fantastic stats by hiding in a corner.
What was the last useful thing anyone ever did while hiding in a corner?

A good way to determine skill is when they stop screwing around, as stats include all the fun they had, too. Here's a good example. 2 vs 1 in a trial mech before the current tier system, outmatched, outgunned, and in a bad place.
2 kills and I'm still alive to make more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users