Yet Another "build Me A Gaming Rig" Thread

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gator the angry pimp

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

Ill try to keep this fat free and as concise as possible.

Been playing on a dell inspiron 2330 all-in-one with an i3 and onboard gfx, lowest resolution and gfx settings.... anything over 16 frames per second is a pipedream.
My budget is $750 (+/-150). I have a full atx case, several 1TB sata HDD's, disc drive, sata cables, and fans i will be recycling and a couple windows product keys so unless I'm missing something I'll need a cpu, mobo, ram, psu, and cpu cooler.

I would like (if at all possible) to put off getting a gpu for right now and focus my resources on a quality cpu. If one of y'all could show me the path to acceptable frame rates @ A decent resolution that's upgradeable and can handle a quality gpu down the road without worrying about bottlenecking, 8 gb of decent ram or more, beefy reliable cpu cooler (no such thing as overkill wen it comes to cooling), I would be forever in debt.

I had the opportunity to play on my buddies built gaming rig with a high-end gpu and processor, and it's become clear you can't be competitive in this game on a potatoes rig. My accuracy increased so much I swore up and down my pal had an aimbot running.

Thanx again guys and gals

#2 Gator the angry pimp

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Was tinkering on pcpartspicker and came up with this real quick. Probably went overboard with the psu and gave her a whole bunch of shiney ram.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8dkrKZ
Heres the link sorry

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

https://mwomercs.com...re-accessories/ Is where the hardware geeks set up camp.

#4 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostGator the angry pimp, on 14 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Was tinkering on pcpartspicker and came up with this real quick. Probably went overboard with the psu and gave her a whole bunch of shiney ram.

Heres the link sorry

That looks like a solid build, however I recommend taking 2x8gb of RAM instead of single 16gb. Or 2x16gb tho its an overkill unless you do video editing and stuff.

Also AMD Ryzen CPU is worth considering. It may be slightly slower for gaming, but if you also do video editing or use other programs which benefit for having several cores it will be much faster than similiar price i5.

#5 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

View PostGator the angry pimp, on 14 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Heres the link sorry

650w is good, unless OP gets crazy with video card(s) later. I also prefer dual channel ram, and 2400mhz is fine if you can find it cheaper. 16gb is good for gaming, I've found 8gb isn't enough.

#6 Gator the angry pimp

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thank you guys. Ive definitly considered ryzen chips (the prices are screamin to say the leastl, but it seems i remember reading somewhere(possibly on this forum) something about ryzen chips not handling threading correctly with mwo. I could be wrong, anybody know much about them? Ill post in the hardware section asking exclusively about them.

Also whats a good gpu? I dont do video editing, most i plan to do with this rig is maybe record my matchs when i drop sometimes, teamspeak/discord, maybe stream....maybe, browse the internet, and the ocxasional network sniffing and aircrack-ng fowl play ;)

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:29 AM

I have a GTX760 that runs MWO fine. I put a GTX650 in my son's computer (both a couple of year ago) and he has no issues either. If you could find a GTX850, 950 or 1050 you'll be set.

#8 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:50 AM

IF you're fine with not playing at the highest detail level (effects, particle, postprocessing on low), even a GTX 1050 Ti can crank out 80-100 Fps in 1080p.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 16 September 2017 - 03:01 AM.

#9 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostGator the angry pimp, on 14 September 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Ill try to keep this fat free and as concise as possible.

Been playing on a dell inspiron 2330 all-in-one with an i3 and onboard gfx, lowest resolution and gfx settings.... anything over 16 frames per second is a pipedream.
My budget is $750 (+/-150). I have a full atx case, several 1TB sata HDD's, disc drive, sata cables, and fans i will be recycling and a couple windows product keys so unless I'm missing something I'll need a cpu, mobo, ram, psu, and cpu cooler.

I would like (if at all possible) to put off getting a gpu for right now and focus my resources on a quality cpu. If one of y'all could show me the path to acceptable frame rates @ A decent resolution that's upgradeable and can handle a quality gpu down the road without worrying about bottlenecking, 8 gb of decent ram or more, beefy reliable cpu cooler (no such thing as overkill wen it comes to cooling), I would be forever in debt.

I had the opportunity to play on my buddies built gaming rig with a high-end gpu and processor, and it's become clear you can't be competitive in this game on a potatoes rig. My accuracy increased so much I swore up and down my pal had an aimbot running.

Thanx again guys and gals

You could try and be patient just a little bit more because Intel 8th gen processors are just around the corner. 8th gen i5 processors will be 6 core cpu-s at around the same price of i5 7th gen, maybe little more expensive from what I could read. Im saving my money for the day new processors show up, really no reason to buy now for me anyways.

#10 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostGator the angry pimp, on 15 September 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Also whats a good gpu? I dont do video editing, most i plan to do with this rig is maybe record my matchs when i drop sometimes, teamspeak/discord, maybe stream....maybe, browse the internet, and the ocxasional network sniffing and aircrack-ng fowl play Posted Image

I would recommend the GTX1070, but if you feel like its too expensive then the GTX1060 should be fine. Or GTX980 if you can find one somewhere.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

Posted ImageGator the angry pimp, on 15 September 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Thank you guys. Ive definitly considered ryzen chips (the prices are screamin to say the leastl, but it seems i remember reading somewhere(possibly on this forum) something about ryzen chips not handling threading correctly with mwo. I could be wrong, anybody know much about them?

They work correclly just fine, but having 8 cores has no advantage over 4 cores on MWO as well as many other games, and fast 4 core i5 is better than 8 core Ryzen.

That's the simple version.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 16 September 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

have a look over at www.tomshardware.com

It's pretty much one of the best sites around to find out what to get. I have not kept up with the latest outside knowing that the new i7 chips are pretty sweet, and you can get a nice one around 200-300 bucks.

My biggest point would be, make sure you get the right board, that can get a CPU upgrade out of. It could be the right time to get in early on the i7's, and then upgrade to one of those chips that come out later, or are very pricey right now as long as they don't change the blasted socket any time soon Posted Image

For vid cards, i really love the asus TI cards. they are a very good bang for your buck, and have been rock solid. I'm still running the TI550 going on 5+ years now. Yea i know it's time to upgrade, but i can see the next one lasting me well into the 2020's. I've been waiting for the price to drop on the new 10 series cards.

I know people like there ATI/AMD combo's and i ran them in the past, in fact my win 2k machine is an AMD 2800 chip +ati9800 and still works well and did not have really any issues with it, but back then i also didn't play many games, just a few MMO's

These days, i jsut find the intel/Nivida combo running asus products just completely rock solid. I haven't had an issue with anything outside of trying to get old mech warrior titles to run. So many games i see people with tech issues and i've had zero. You might spend a few dollars more, but honestly for the lack of hassles i've had it's worth it. (still my last system only cost me 550 bucks)

Asus also has incredible support if you ever do run into an issue. I've been using there products for close to 20 years now, and have not had an issue with them outside of bent pins on a board from a retail seller, but it was returned for a new one. They claim it wasn't open box, but it had to of been, so that is on the store, not the company.

anyways.. check out toms, i'm sure they can get you something good for around 600 or so. PS, i personally wouldn't bother with the SSD drives, i know people love to say they are much faster and such, but I just don't think that performance translates to anything game related outside of maybe a load time, but chips are so fast these days, and games run so much stuff loaded into memory anyway, i don't think they are worth the trouble. They also don't have the durability of the classic HD which can last 10-20 years. SSDs drives start out with a limited lifespan already.

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 16 September 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

Posted ImageGator the angry pimp, on 15 September 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

They work correclly just fine, but having 8 cores has no advantage over 4 cores on MWO as well as many other games, and fast 4 core i5 is better than 8 core Ryzen.

That's the simple version.

Well, yes, BUT, those new chips can also be set up to only use a few cores and then the clock speed goes way up. I was looking at some speeds of the 16 and 18 cores, that when dropped down to 4-6 were near 5.0 I was pleasantly surprised. compared to mine which is barely over 3, it has me thinking next year could be the year to update.

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 September 2017 - 05:18 AM.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:36 AM

On SSDs, I've never had a hard drive fail (been using Western Digital for as long as I can remember), and I figured when I built my son's computer 2 years ago I'd try an SSD in his. Two years on the SSD failed. Never doing that again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users