Mw5 Mech Customization

325 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Posted Image

They want to force roles, and with weapons largely contributing what role can a mech partake, we can say that the mechs will have fixed weapons. And with the FFA supposed to be fixed permanently, i guess no upgrades either.

That level of failure. If they want a CBill sink, it's enough to have mechs and equipments that would require repair, or even be permanently destroyed, armor and ammo needing money to replenish, heat-sinks being damaged or destroyed with overheating. Imagine tweaking an Urbanmech for 8-million C-Bills, and then have it destroyed, now you need to save up for 8-Million cbills again. Or looking at the market, you can also choose to buy the Urbanmech with the nearest similarity with your previous 8-million C-Bill urbanmech and buy it cause it would be cheaper. Sure you don't have to keep an eye on mechs with special upgrades like FFA, but make it so that it would likely be cheaper to buy a new one that.

Of course i'm not gonna say that MW5 would be totally bad or trash, it hasn't come out yet. It just failed to live to expectation, we're gonna get the same case with No Man's Sky.

If they want to push that kind of stupid ****, they might as well randomize equipment, or have a pseudo-random combination.

That "the level of customization is huge" they say, i'm pretty sure that it should have been "high" not "huge", nevertheless it's not high nor huge, it's little. What should have been there is "Variation".

Edited by The6thMessenger, 17 September 2017 - 02:10 AM.

#2 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:11 AM

Well, for my part I dont care because MW5 is single player only.
If MW5 was part of MWO as single player campaign or even better MW5 "free market" mechanics was part of MWO multiplayer part similar to Eve Online it would be great but single player only games are a thing of the past.

Edited by Antares102, 17 September 2017 - 02:11 AM.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

no customization = not interested

not that I was all that interested in the first place

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:25 AM

The game is so far away that I am not gonna bother worrying about it.

#5 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

much like MWO, players will just agree to a cheesecake that they like and stick with it.

#6 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

No customisation is a very bad idea, since every Mechwarrior game since MW2 has had customisation. I don't think PGI realise just how big a deal this is; it is one of the fundamental features of the Mechwarrior series.

And the example of the JR7-F vs JR7-D is also bad, as ferro-fibrous armor is a common field upgrade in the lore.

Edited by Zergling, 17 September 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#7 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

This is, exactly the Mechwarrior game I've been waiting for.

For years, I've had to **** around in the mechlab to get my chassis to match up with canon designs, and even then, often times, I couldn't make exactly what I wanted due to limitations of a single chassis, or hardpoints not conforming to it.

For a game, taking place in 3015/3025 era, this is EXACTLY want I was expecting, locked down chassis, with little to no customization. And you know what I say, GOOD, about god damned time.

Mechwarrior players have a big, BIG f'ing habit of minmaxing to the uptmost, how many of us in prior Mechwariror games, just slapped pulse lasers onto the best thing we could find, and shot for legs? I know that's how I initially got through mechwarrior 3, and most playthrough's of Mechwarrior 2 you'll see the same. Why? BECAUSE IT'S EASY AND IT WORKS.

But MW5, is already throwing that to the wind, you don't get the easy way out anymore, now you actually have to THINK about what you're going to bring to a fight.

now I do agree with Zergling, as there should be options for common field "upgrades" such as single heatsinks upgraded to doubles, or Ferro installed instead of standard armor... BUT it a high, HIGH cost, and downtime to the mech associated for the refit.

Granted, MW5 doesn't seem to be quite the game I was looking forward to, I want to have to salvage things to keep my mechs running. I want this to be as close to a battletech campaign as I can get from a first person perspective, with the ability to repair and rearm mechs being a constant focus. Where salvage matters.

And this doesn't seem to be quite that... but it's a hell of a start.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

FFA is supposed to be a possible upgrade, without obscene downtime

Endo should not be, that's replacing the entire substructure

Weapon Swapping will likely be a thing, but not completely open
Whether hardpoint (what we have now), or more restrictive (Sized hardpoint, hybrid between MW4 and MWO) system, to be seen

#9 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

While I get the Lore, there are a lot of problems with this. Let's not kid ourselves - the mechlab is at least half the fun of the game. Take that away, and I'm not sure what you have. OK, this is a single player game, but still... Also, many battlemech designs are simply trash or were meant to be fielded with other units in specific roles as part of a full table-top army. I'm not sure how that will work here; it could be a massive flop.

I get the notion of limiting customization to some level for Lore reasons, but basically banning it seems like a bad idea. Also, in a PvE game, what difference does it make anyway? The computer isn't going to complain if you're running cheese.

#10 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

So, basicly you will have to stay with some mech, get better ones during your play.
And it's bad becauuuuse?

It was the same with Mechwarrior 2, it was the same with Mechwarrior 3, It was the same with Mechwarrior 4. I don't see your point.

#11 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

You people need to make up your minds. You complain about OP builds here in MWO and want PGI to implement all kinds of awkward, kludgy mechanics (ghost heat, power draw, etc.) to force people to build poorly or closer to lore... then they propose making a game where ONLY lore builds exist, and you complain about that too.

#12 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

View PostTrissila, on 17 September 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

You people need to make up your minds. You complain about OP builds here in MWO and want PGI to implement all kinds of awkward, kludgy mechanics (ghost heat, power draw, etc.) to force people to build poorly or closer to lore... then they propose making a game where ONLY lore builds exist, and you complain about that too.

Valid point. All I was getting at is there's a fine line somewhere in there between the probably too high customization we have in MWO and very low or no customization which we could have in MW5.

For example, using an Awesome 8Q, it is strange that I can turn it into a laser boat in MWO and sad that it needs a pile of PPC specific quirks to make the PPC's even a decent choice for the mech despite it being desired around PPC's in lore.

On the flip side, even if customization is reduced and forced to be on-theme, I should still be able to say... swap out my PPC's for ERPPCs or Snub-Nose PPC's. Maybe replace the small head laser with a small pulse head laser. You get the idea. And I need to be able to change armor - stock armor values are often idiotic.

I'm also concerned about the single heat sink vs. double heat sink issue. Single heat sinks are worthless unless arbitrarily buffed, so you could easily see a situation where any single heat sink mech is simply ditched as soon as possible, which would probably make most of the mechs in MW5 pointless. Or, if you only get DHS very late in the game, fine, but still... the power level between them is so huge, it could reduce real choices.

Edited by oldradagast, 17 September 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#13 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 17 September 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

It was the same with Mechwarrior 2, it was the same with Mechwarrior 3, It was the same with Mechwarrior 4. I don't see your point.

Mechwarrior 2 had full customisation, i.e. you could put whatever stuff into your mech what you wanted.
ONLY the Jade Falcon position trials in Mechwarrior 2 featured locked mechs which you could not customize.
Man.. I hated those Jade Falcon missions in MW2.
Cannot recall any locked stuff in MW3, but I didnt play it a lot. However I remember that I also changed loadouts for single player campaign.

What MW5 suggest is that you CANNOT change ANYTHING from your mech which includes adding armor.
Some lore mechs have ridiculous low armor levels (e.g. Loki/Hellbringer) and some feature 1/3 of their armor in the back (Awesome is one of them I guess).

Believe me there is nobody who would like that.
Even if PGI implements ALL possible known mech variants in that game 95% would immediatelly be abolsute garbage. Why do you think PGI went away from lore loadout trials mechs? Because those are 95% absolutely rubbish.

Edited by Antares102, 17 September 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#14 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:25 AM

Here's the thing: People want to rush through their MW single player experiences, by just boating.

That's fine, there's plenty of canon, laser boats for you to choose from...

but no, that's not good enough for you, you want "The best hitboxes" too.

To that, I say nay, work with what you've got, I've been doing that for years, hell during the MW4 Mercs days, I was outdeling people with the Mektek Warhammer, set up with the Stock WHM-6K loadout.

Everyone just wants to crutch, they want to rush through the campaign like they always did in the old days.

I'm GLAD that PGI is shutting down unfettered customization, hell MWO's level of customization is still too damned high. At least with MW5, even if it's singleplayer only, I'll finally have the Mechwarrior game I've been wanting since the 90's!

#15 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 17 September 2017 - 07:25 AM, said:

Here's the thing: People want to rush through their MW single player experiences, by just boating.

That's fine, there's plenty of canon, laser boats for you to choose from...

but no, that's not good enough for you, you want "The best hitboxes" too.

To that, I say nay, work with what you've got, I've been doing that for years, hell during the MW4 Mercs days, I was outdeling people with the Mektek Warhammer, set up with the Stock WHM-6K loadout.

Everyone just wants to crutch, they want to rush through the campaign like they always did in the old days.

I'm GLAD that PGI is shutting down unfettered customization, hell MWO's level of customization is still too damned high. At least with MW5, even if it's singleplayer only, I'll finally have the Mechwarrior game I've been wanting since the 90's!

MW5 is a SINGLE PLAYER game for focks sake. You dont have to watch others play and the others wont affect your game.
If you decide to play with stock loadouts thats your choice but limiting all OTHER players in their choices especially how they play the campaign to match your preferences is so self-absorbed and egoistic that there are no words for it. More choices are always better than less.

Edited by Antares102, 17 September 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#16 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

View PostAntares102, on 17 September 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

MW5 is a SINGLE PLAYER game for focks sake. You dont have to watch others play and the others wont affect your game.
If you decide to play with stock loadouts thats your choice but limiting all OTHER players in their choices especially how they play the campaign to match your preferences is so self-absorbed and egoistic that there are no words for it. More choices are always better than less.

I disagree, simply on the fact that I'm tired of people like you constantly whining about "Muh choices!"

I'm glad this upsets you, because it shows that you cannot function in game without a broken mechlab.

#17 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostAntares102, on 17 September 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 had full customisation, i.e. you could put whatever stuff into your mech what you wanted.
ONLY the Jade Falcon position trials in Mechwarrior 2 featured locked mechs which you could not customize.
Man.. I hated those Jade Falcon missions in MW2.
Cannot recall any locked stuff in MW3, but I didnt play it a lot. However I remember that I also changed loadouts for single player campaign.

What MW5 suggest is that you CANNOT change ANYTHING from your mech which includes adding armor.
Some lore mechs have ridiculous low armor levels (e.g. Loki/Hellbringer) and some feature 1/3 of their armor in the back (Awesome is one of them I guess).

Believe me there is nobody who would like that.
Even if PGI implements ALL possible known mech variants in that game 95% would immediatelly be abolsute garbage. Why do you think PGI went away from lore loadout trials mechs? Because those are 95% absolutely rubbish.

PGI Went away from Lore loadout trials mech because MWO is a PVP game.

We are talking about a SOLO oriented game. Where what you have, is also what the others can have.

#18 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 17 September 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

I disagree, simply on the fact that I'm tired of people like you constantly whining about "Muh choices!"

I'm glad this upsets you, because it shows that you cannot function in game without a broken mechlab.

If you're glad somebody else is upset about something in a video game, you're wallowing in petty behavior and missing the point entirely while chest-beating. If a lot of people won't buy a game without a mechlab because it won't be fun for THEM - not YOU - THEM, this game may go nowhere, leaving you without your "stock only" builds that you so badly need to prove your pointless "superiority" over other people in a video game.

Think before bragging and try to understand that other people have different interests than you and enjoy the mech lab and consider a core part of the experience. And why do you care how they play anyway? It's PvE - if they want to rush through in a meta-cheese build, how, exactly, does that affect YOUR game? It doesn't, so stop trying to stifle other people's choices in a PvE game. God, it's like listening to somebody demand that a PvE game only have a hardest difficulty mode because "I can beat that, so it's the only right way to play, stupid noobs!"

The amount of petty chest-beating over this type of thing - "I can win a PvE game in stock only, so everyone else must suck and their opinions - unlike mine - are wrong!" is laughable. There is no superiority more worthless than video game superiority.

Edited by oldradagast, 17 September 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#19 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 17 September 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

If you're glad somebody else is upset about something in a video game, you're wallowing in petty behavior and missing the point entirely while chest-beating. If a lot of people won't buy a game without a mechlab because it won't be fun for THEM - not YOU - THEM, this game may go nowhere, leaving you without your "stock only" builds that you so badly need to prove your pointless "superiority" over other people in a video game.

Think before bragging and try to understand that other people have different interests than you and enjoy the mech lab and consider a core part of the experience. And why do you care how they play anyway? It's PvE - if they want to rush through in a meta-cheese build, how, exactly, does that affect YOUR game? It doesn't, so stop trying to stifle other people's choices in a PvE game. God, it's like listening to somebody demand that a PvE game only have a hardest difficulty mode because "I can beat that, so it's the only right way to play, stupid noobs!"

The amount of petty chest-beating over this type of thing - "I can win a PvE game in stock only, so everyone else must suck and their opinions - unlike mine - are wrong!" is laughable. There is no superiority more worthless than video game superiority.

Gotta agree on that one.

For or against a mechlab in MW5 doesn't justify a behavior like that.

#20 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 17 September 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Gotta agree on that one.

For or against a mechlab in MW5 doesn't justify a behavior like that.

There are far too many people out there who take gaming and "proving I'm better than you!" in gaming way too seriously. They love to see "stupid noobs" punished - while at the same type being utterly unable to understand how that damages the business model of the game they are playing - and hate to see anyone derive any fun from a game in a way different from them. They hate roleplayers, people who love to play odd builds, people who aren't also fanatical about the game, etc. They also love to see games have super-steep learning curves and be locked in "hard-mode" forever because it validates their (practically speaking) worthless mastery of the game and makes it easier for them to laugh at "stupid noobs" and, in PvE games, kill them. That guy's response - being glad somebody else was unhappy - is just more of this petty behavior.

Edited by oldradagast, 17 September 2017 - 07:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users