10 replies to this topic

#1 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

PGI,

This list won't be all-inclusive and most of it has been said before in some venue (and probably here too), but it's been lost to time and the chaff.

Just for the "main round" I'd offer up some minimum changes to actually make this work a bit better:

1) Mask who is "looking in queue" as that is promoting alot of bad behaviors that have been long lamented this season, but let's face it, folks are going to use what they can to posture themselves for the most success. Teams should only see the # of teams actually queued up. Also, it was just badly thought out to begin with. A solo-player team looking in the comp window out of curiousity, shows up as a team ready to go. A solo player with a team. Let that sink in. Hell, the PGI team sat hovering in queue for what seemed like a day and a half early on and played zero matches. Did you even have all 8 online, or was someone just monitoring the queue? lol.

2) Incentivize early with the outlay of available swag (your options this year, I thought were spot on....just entirely too late in delivery which again, influenced teams joining, not joining).

3) Keep the minimum matches requirement (even consider upping it, but only IF you do some of these other fixes if not all).

4) Elo decay to promote regular activity

5) Better Elo matchmaking (which presumably will occur if more teams are playing, assuming you make some fixes to draw more teams in).

6) Teams still need the latitude of larger rosters. I'd bump it incrementally....14, 16? Real life just isn't negotiable for most of your playerbase (that being said, some of the roster horror stories out there both seasons were self-inflicted by people who KNEW they had complications).

7) Weekend events that capture all three timezones (or weekly) that encourage playing in the queue. Micro-rewards, ex. Get "X" of kills as a team win or lose, score "X" matchscore, win or lose, play three matches in one day etc. Those little micro-bonuses add up and in a F2P environment are nearly addictive.

8) Better Elo scoring - not sure what formula you are using, but the teams expected to lose were taking fairly large hits early on that again, encouraged folks to avoid teams -- it's a tourney with swag and cash at the end -- people are going to do their best to posture their team for the best placement.

9) Consider a cap for consecutive matches against a team having an Elo impact, or cumulative matches against the same team overall (to minimize alt farming and similar items). Even if alt-farming didn't happen, the perception leaves an impression that your tourney is too easily gamed. We all get it....the WC team isn't the same as the ingame-tags and teams, but that's not how alot of folks perceived things going on and they are bad press for you within the community. Just hurts the branding and credibility of your event.

10) Semi-finals....you should REALLY give folks more like a week (the following weekend) before kicking off the regionals/semi-finals. This was balls. No time to hype the event, clear disconnects with casters already (match 1 ffs).

11) Promote the damned event via the forums, via ingame, via associated events (see point above). You want to build some energy, excitement and anticipation for this event and the weaker teams who know they aren't in it to win it, still want to have some fun and enjoy it along the way. While this event was better than last year's in term of execution, it's received much less press, no casting and is much less exciting for your more casual community.

GL to the teams in the next round and hope to see WC new and improved next season PGI.

#2 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

My advice would be run the event like a advertising campaign.

Have weekly updates on who is moving up and who has dropped down.
Show the leader board on the website.
Run award events in the comp Q to gain more players.
Hire a person to run the whole mwowc.
Post to website, reddit, Facebook, steam, twitter to build hype.
Have team interviews and grow your brand though these.
Use more casters, to show more games. ( there are heaps begging to do it)
Use all the above to get gaming sites to take an interest in MWO and write up reviews/content.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

live - that is exactly how it should be marketed/run, so right! You'd almost make it mandatory for Semi's onwards that a 5min post-match interview occurs etc. This builds hype, interest by hearing the people and thoughts behind decisions. Also some match reviews etc. Go into a bit of detail, people like that.

This whole rushed semi-finals stuff was foretold like, 3 months ago as well. Players aren't happy. community isn't happy... It shouldn't be like this.

I'll once again raise my hand to help cast as needed, I know I'm not the Fav Son of PGI - but I will always do right by the community and pitch in and do it properly if I do Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 17 September 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#4 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 September 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

live - that is exactly how it should be marketed/run, so right! You'd almost make it mandatory for Semi's onwards that a 5min post-match interview occurs etc. This builds hype, interest by hearing the people and thoughts behind decisions. Also some match reviews etc. Go into a bit of detail, people like that

I had to leave early god damn kids hahah.
That a shame that did not happen, it was a pretty cool insight when MRBC started to do it this season.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

my advice is have a pre game/season show/cast

not for every match but maybe an half hour cast telling people what's up for this years
2017 WC

we have a lot of new players that have no idea what's going on

#6 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 18 September 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

my advice is have a pre game/season show/cast

not for every match but maybe an half hour cast telling people what's up for this years
2017 WC

we have a lot of new players that have no idea what's going on

Main reason I want switchblade to cast, he is good at that stuff :(

#7 vidjahgames

• PipPip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

Brackets. You have maybe 15 teams who are willing to compete at that high of a level. Give the rest of the people something to shoot for and some recognition of their own.

Rewards. It's the only thing that got 75% of the players playing. Give killer rewards for that top bracket. Worthwhile stuff for the rest. Make everyone happy.

Duration. Dec? No thank you. I wasted enough of my time listening to that clock. Gimme' stuff now.

Everything Live said. Hype it up ALL CAPS style.

A bunch of what Lukoi said. Don't implement what you WISH it would be. Live in reality and adjust accordingly.

#8 N Y G E N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:16 AM

Change tourney format to a group stage and knockout stage. Use compQ as a sort of qualifier for it. F.ex. 32 teams in group stage, best 2 of each group moving on to round of last 16. Group stage single drops, knockout stage best of three, semi final best of 5, final best of 7. Cheap way: invite only the finalists to MechCon. Expensive way: invite semi finalists.

Have a tournament plan/schedule ready way BEFORE the tournament starts. Search for more casters, and have at least every game in the group stage recorded and commented.

And now for the very most important part, beyond all questions of tournament structure, do much more advertising! No, "much more" isn't the right term. Do advertising as professional as you can!!! Pop-ups ingame client, pop-ups on the starting page here, regular interviews with teams/players, forecasts, weekly reviews, trailers/teasers before tourney starts, etc. The tournament schedule should come in handy by this. Build up as much Hype as you can, ultimatly this is the WC of this game!

But, sorry to say, every sunday morning football league with the worst lumberjacks draws more attention than MWOWC 2017! You are/were not even able to provide an asap updated, clearly laid-out tournament tree, or produce ad for semifinal-casts BEFORE they started.
You think I am too harsh? I don't think so.

#9 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

OP, you know I appreciate what you normally say but, we only lasted 2 semi-final games and 3 final games before we turned off the tourney and went back to watching college basketball...

The preception I got from the streaming was "Keystone Cops" meets some game that looked a little like MWO?

Sorry, I'm a once and done......

#10 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostAsym, on 18 December 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

OP, you know I appreciate what you normally say but, we only lasted 2 semi-final games and 3 final games before we turned off the tourney and went back to watching college basketball...

The preception I got from the streaming was "Keystone Cops" meets some game that looked a little like MWO?

Sorry, I'm a once and done......

This was to PGI, so no worries. Sorry you don't enjoy the competitive scene (or perhaps, any part of the MWO experience given the bulk of your posts).

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 18 December 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#11 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 18 December 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

This was to PGI, so no worries. Sorry you don't enjoy the competitive scene (or perhaps, any part of the MWO experience given the bulk of your posts).

Well he for sure enjoys shitposting on MWO forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users