- - - - -

What Is The Ettiquette Of Lance Command?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sebaztien Hawke

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand +12 GMT

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

I have a question regarding ettiquette and leadership in quick start battles...

At what point of MWO experience can you assume leadership and attempt to influence the battlefield positioning of your lance or even the entire team?

I know that anybody can offer suggestions in game, and communication is good, but is there a point when other players are obliged to act on them?

My wife and daughter are away overseas for a fortnight and I have had a week of free evenings to get some serious game time in. Previously I have only had sporadic sessions and I'd never used assault mechs. In this week I have "mastered" two Mad Cat MCII assault 'mechs and my leaderboard position was 52 last time I checked. I assume there are players on that board who have played just as actively or at least regularly as I have and have a longer period of experience.

I have noticed that a large number of players treat Battlemechs like British redcoat soldiers, standing in the middle of the battlefield and trading shots, or just aimlessly camping somewhere 'traditional' for that map. My view is that mechs are mobile, armoured weapon systems and should be treated as such. Players should flow around the map, flanking, repositioning, being a little unpredictable and taking a few risks. I have noticed that even when radar shows the enemy moving in force, often players don't quickly reposition to counter that movement or protect themselves without being told...

So, my question is: I think an aggressive mindset is the best default strategy, and it has worked for me so far. If I had more support from other players I think we could be more effective and some of the close losses would have been turned around. Maybe some players are too worried about being destroyed? Can I take lance command and assume others in my lance will stick with me more? Or listen to me? I find it hard to multitask, actually, so I don't want to fight and oversee events but I think it might help others and the team if they follow my lead more in terms of positioning... I'm not sure if my leaderboard position actually makes my opinion or style any more relevant, of course. I am hesitant to use it as evidence that how I play is correct, but if it works for me it may work for others.

There are a few players who reliably take some control of the battle (LeCrabCakes for example) and I am happy to follow their lead when I drop with them, but what should I do when those experienced MechWarriors aren't around? I am interested in the opinion of experienced players who have found their way through these issues.

Thanks!

-I only have another week of 'holiday' time for playing, so this may only be a short term issue :)

Edited by Sebaztien Hawke, 17 September 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

heh,, all i can say is go for it.. If people actually listen that is an entire different story.. I can't tell you how many times I've called a target, after some dude says,, HOLD LOCKS.. and i play brawlers more often than not. You'd think the LRM's come? Or another person would target, when 3-4 mechs are right behind ya?

in QP, the only thing you can count on is not much. Honestly it is baffling, because people say the like to win, and teamwork always equals wins.. camping the hill on grim is a loss if the other team has any coordination, yet it seams to be the predominant tactic.

My point is go for it, but certainly don't expect much. the crickets are loud in this game.

#3 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

Can I take lance command and assume others in my lance will stick with me more? Or listen to me?

Pretty much yes. Over time you will get better at it, and most importantly, you need to practice.

For the other part, you will find some will, some won't. Never assume your whole team is on the level with your plans. Even when people listen and would want to do what you are doing, they might not have the proper mech and/or skills for it.

I think it's very useful to learn to accept it, and not to be too disapointed or angry about it.

I think an aggressive mindset is the best default strategy, and it has worked for me so far

Yes, and you can assume in nearly all games, they will be players who just won't have the speed for it. If you call in aggression, which on many maps turns into nascar, you will have people complaining about it.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Ever considered trying Community Warfare? That's where those of us who like team orient tactics and aggressive gameplay tend to find the best traction, as, you know, it's meant for unit on unit combat. Seriously, grab Team Speak, hop on some of the servers an ask to join some drops. Don't hafta join a unit to do so, most are very welcoming, since some random player wanting to work as a team is often much better than some pick up group warrior the game assigns you can't rely on to help out.

Anyways, as for commands, I find it best to state my intentions, rather'n try ordering others. Instead of sayin 'Get over here an push with me!', which will usually get only a few likeminded warriors, you wanna try something like 'Alright, I plan on pushing in on the flank, they'll be distracted.'

You pretty much get the same limited pool of mechwarriors actually joining you, but if you phrase it as an oppourtunity, you tend to get more of those mechwarriors hanging back using you as a distraction to get shots in, which means they're at least providing some covering fire.

Likewaise, when target calling, it helps if you ad in juicy tidbits like "Kodiak, Stripped torso armour!". Play to their selfishness, don't just tell em which target is best for the team to take down, cuz too few care about the team, offer them a kill. Bribe them into helping themselves.

..... Yeah, I may not have much faith in quickplay. I don't play it often, sorry if I come across as a bitter vet, I do love this game, and've met tonnes of great folks, I just don't quickplay much, and when I do for events it always reminds me why.

~Leone.

#5 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

As long as you know the proper lingo, go ahead.

Just had a match where someone called a push when they wanted a firing line.

#6 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Posted ImageLeone, on 18 September 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Anyways, as for commands, I find it best to state my intentions, rather'n try ordering others. Instead of sayin 'Get over here an push with me!', which will usually get only a few likeminded warriors, you wanna try something like 'Alright, I plan on pushing in on the flank, they'll be distracted.'

This is very good point.

People are far more prone to understand and follow, when you explain the reasoning behind it. Sure there's more tactical choises for FP but even many QP maps and modes have things that better and more experienced players know.

#7 Sebaztien Hawke

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand +12 GMT

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Thank you for the excellent replies, everyone. You've made some great points which I will keep in mind.

I haven't made a drop deck for community/ faction warfare yet... It seems like a mode that requires a degree of commitment and preparation. I'll need to read up on how best to build a drop deck. I would prefer to be a merc/freelancer but my MechBay has a mixture of clan and IS mechs, so hopefully I can mix n match? I only have another week of free evenings so if I do try faction warfare, it's probably now or never!

Again, thank you for the advice and encouragement.

#8 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

Lance command - pretty much no one cares. As the characteristics of the mechs in your lance might be WILDly divergent, it may actually make more sense for some to ignore their lance commander (if there is one... pretty much no one bothers).

As far as utility goes, the only time I've seen it used well was to complain/make fun of someone in another lance without letting them see the chat.

Otherwise it is most frequently used by alpha lance to try some kind of move-in-formation to flank. The PROBLEM is that lance commanders generally ignore the Company commander. Alpha lance attempts to flank without providing any information to the rest of the company, waiting for them to get in position, or usually gets spotted and jumped because they are not nearly as good as they think they are.

And then the game becomes something like 12 vs. 8.

A lance commander might be meaningful in a game where matches took a LONG time and there were actual roles and objectives. That is not the game we have. Numbers in an engagement and coordination of ALL those numbers together is most important. That makes the lance commander essentially pointless (in fact, counter productive usually). The company commander is more useful as a role.

As far as trying your hand at the company commander, apply what the others have said thus far.

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

Here's some beginner's tips but for one thing, no mixing and matching. Right now the IS have quicker drops, but tougher matches. I'd suggest building one drop deck IS and one Clan, an going merc for whichever side you feel has the stronger load out. Then you can work on diversifying, once you've a feel for the game mode.

~Leone.

#10 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostSebaztien Hawke, on 17 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

I have a question regarding ettiquette and leadership in quick start battles...

At what point of MWO experience can you assume leadership and attempt to influence the battlefield positioning of your lance or even the entire team?

I know that anybody can offer suggestions in game, and communication is good, but is there a point when other players are obliged to act on them?

My wife and daughter are away overseas for a fortnight and I have had a week of free evenings to get some serious game time in. Previously I have only had sporadic sessions and I'd never used assault mechs. In this week I have "mastered" two Mad Cat MCII assault 'mechs and my leaderboard position was 52 last time I checked. I assume there are players on that board who have played just as actively or at least regularly as I have and have a longer period of experience.

I have noticed that a large number of players treat Battlemechs like British redcoat soldiers, standing in the middle of the battlefield and trading shots, or just aimlessly camping somewhere 'traditional' for that map. My view is that mechs are mobile, armoured weapon systems and should be treated as such. Players should flow around the map, flanking, repositioning, being a little unpredictable and taking a few risks. I have noticed that even when radar shows the enemy moving in force, often players don't quickly reposition to counter that movement or protect themselves without being told...

So, my question is: I think an aggressive mindset is the best default strategy, and it has worked for me so far. If I had more support from other players I think we could be more effective and some of the close losses would have been turned around. Maybe some players are too worried about being destroyed? Can I take lance command and assume others in my lance will stick with me more? Or listen to me? I find it hard to multitask, actually, so I don't want to fight and oversee events but I think it might help others and the team if they follow my lead more in terms of positioning... I'm not sure if my leaderboard position actually makes my opinion or style any more relevant, of course. I am hesitant to use it as evidence that how I play is correct, but if it works for me it may work for others.

There are a few players who reliably take some control of the battle (LeCrabCakes for example) and I am happy to follow their lead when I drop with them, but what should I do when those experienced MechWarriors aren't around? I am interested in the opinion of experienced players who have found their way through these issues.

Thanks!

-I only have another week of 'holiday' time for playing, so this may only be a short term issue Posted Image

While your thought on wanting to coordinate ppl more is commendable here are two things to think about:

--This game is around for 4 years if you play since after open beta....don't you think the topic already came up a few times ? Posted Image

-- How much do you feel compelled to listen to some annonymous dude telling ya to push a hill with a 12 other dudes that got cover while you have to go some hundred meters through the open field ? (standart Grim plexus situation when both teams burie in on their hillsPosted Image )

So the answer is: sure go for it you can do a lot of things but as most things in this game as long as you aren't doing things concentrated and coordinated with a couple of guys you know your chances of success are random at best and no there are no etiquettes, not outside of a unit that has established them. (hint hint)

Hook up with some guys and get organized. Thats your best bet for learning to call drops and get organized.

Edited by The Basilisk, 20 September 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#11 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

I think lance command could work if your in a light wolf pack, where your seperated from the rest of the team on a special mission. But generally speaking you want the entire team, especially the assults, heavies and mediums to be within range and supporting each other, so a lance command isn't as important as following the main team calling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users