Voip Deafness

25 replies to this topic

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Is there a way to hear VOIP from people using a proprietary COM application instead of the one integrated into MWO?
I find it difficult to follow team plans/objectives, or to come to the defense of a teammate yelling for help when I can't hear them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peace

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

not sure I overly follow .... you could disable the in game voip, and use a third party client, but you would only be hearing the people in whatever channel you ended up in .... in theory, you could leave the in game voip on, and also enable a secondary voice client to somewhere else ... but I wouldn't think many people would be able to make sense of all the noise ... personally, nothing in the world could make me want to hear the constant reeeeee and non match blah ... if someone cant use the command wheel, they don't need help, or more to the point, they need more saving than I'm willing to give them ... when you use help on the command wheel, it shows the sector in the chat, and marks the unit on the map, so then you just end up with the other scenario, the boy who cries wolf, people who will be calling out for help, before they have even engaged, but it tends to be less mental work to keep track of one player who your ignoring ... use the map more ... a plan is useless, if they wont follow through on it anyway ....

#3 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

I guess my concern is that this is supposed to be a 'team play' game (12 vs 12), so it would be beneficial if only one VOIP was designated in-game (either the built-in one or a 3rd party one).
In this way, all players on the team could benefit from better communication, and it would promote more effective team-play.
I also believe we would have less 'lone wolf' players doing whatever, if they were on-board with the rest of the team.
Bottom line - a single VOIP (I don't care which, as long as all players can use it) in game would promote better team-play.

Thanks for your feedback.

Peace

#4 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

there is one, in game ... these days ... there was a recommended solution before that, using the C3 client ... it was too hard for most, and the 'more competitive' teams stuck to using their own pre existing VOIP clients, like teamspeak .... and many of them still do ... and its always been an extra layer of management about channels .... anyway I digress ...

the game has built in VOIP these days, and its generally enabled by default, you should generally hear it, assuming that there Is someone there who is also listening and able to respond ... and your completely able to use it ...

but I wont ... because most people have never heard of concepts like 'radio silence', and it tends to quickly become less useful than you might think ....

you know the real problem isn't a lack of teamwork, its a lack of understanding ... its not that people don't know whats required when someone yells for help, its just that the average player isn't really able to provide much assistance probably because of a few factors, unless everybody happens to be bullet shielding the slowest units, which makes you prime for supporting consumables ....

most of the quick play games that I'm in, end up being dictated by three or four players, and they don't need to communicate .... they know what to do, and when to do it, based on where the team is, and the direction of movement .... they don't need someone frantically yelling out 'NOW!' or 'COVER ME!' at full volume over the voip ... they look at the map, and theres more information there than most people can absorb ....

after enough games, you know whats going to happen, or at least what should happen ... that you team is about to charge into a deathtrap, and you know, when they decide to do it, you aint going to stop them, no matter how much you yell, or what sense or reason you give .... if they don't know what the likely outcome is, they will charge e7 from the ravine on tourmaline ....

I find the general noise to be no more useful than random music ... if the voip had the ability to be flipped over between team and lance, I'd probably use that more ... but as it stands, the random chatter doesn't benefit me at all ...

#5 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Thank you very much Narc, for your explanation.
I guess I find it 'disorganized' that a few players using 'teamspeak' develop a game plan for the mission, and others who are using the game client have no idea what that plan is, or how they can assist with it.
Seems counter intuitive to me.
And I agree that some players just like to hear themselves talk, but if everyone was tuned to the same channel, at least it would feel more like a team.

Good gaming to all - - -

Peace

#6 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:39 AM

i sound off every match, and ask for comms check b4 match starts... Not because im testing my equipment... but because im testing your equipment

I dont gaf how good you are at typing.. you can not remove your hands fast enough from the control surface of your machine to type with out putting your self and your team mates at risk

The comms radio is not for "help" it is for movement commands..

you can use the command wheel.. for things like mech spoted or i need help.. which then puts something on radar that the rest of the team can visually see... this game being a visual game for a lot of people

#7 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 23 September 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Thank you very much Narc, for your explanation.
I guess I find it 'disorganized' that a few players using 'teamspeak' develop a game plan for the mission, and others who are using the game client have no idea what that plan is, or how they can assist with it.
Seems counter intuitive to me.
And I agree that some players just like to hear themselves talk, but if everyone was tuned to the same channel, at least it would feel more like a team.

Good gaming to all - - -

Peace

I think there is a basic misconception in your ideas about the game....but I may be wrong.
First...we are talking about quickplay, right ?
If so, be aware that a very large part of the community plays this game for several years now and knows how the maps basicaly work (when they care to remember) and where to move, how to move and when (again when they care to do so instead of just shooting stuff and beeing disapointed when that does not work).

Either way...in most instances I find VOIP outside of the group queue, organized matches or FP with my unit to be irritating and useless at best and an outright pain in an increasing number of cases because the ppl actually using voice seem mostly to be those not knowing what to do and when or those who like to play boss blurping nonsentical commands and then yelling because most of the guys do what should be done instead and those who followed their commands just die.
Again...IN QUICKPLAY.

In mixed FP and GroupQueue teams Voip is quite usefull to coordinate the dropcommanders of the different teams...even more so if the Dropcallers got their ingame Voip and unit Voip ready. (coordination on lance and team level)

#8 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thanks again for the feedback.
I get the distinct impression that you guys are using a 3rd party VOIP client, based upon your impressions of common voice 'chatter', and I cannot disagree with your observations, as I have seen (heard) it myself on occasion.

Let me put it to you straight - with your experience in game, do you think a single, common, VOIP client should be used, so that all teammates can share team information? - or - Do you think multiple, 'private', VOIP clients should continue to be used so that only a select few players can communicate with each other and exclude the rest of the team from tactical information?

Not trying to be a $mart @$$, just trying to discover why multiple VOIP client's are in use, when sharing information could mean the difference between winning or loosing a match.

Thanks guys for letting me dig into your grey matter.

Peace All

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

There is Quickplay-Solo Queue.. the only common VOIP is the in-game VOIP but is only available while in combat...

QP-Group Queue and Faction Play - most of the time pre-formed groups will be on external TS. Again, co-ops/units do not have access to in-game VOIP until combat drop.

Some will use both in-game VOIP to communicate with others but not all the times except for brief orders. Even on a unit's private VOIP, some rarely speak since they have trained and dropped enough together they are expected to know what to do, who to target, etc,etc. It can be scary at times Posted Image

Again, it took several years for PGI to even add in-game VOIP, followed by the few chat windows it currently has.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 September 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#10 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 24 September 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Thanks again for the feedback.
I get the distinct impression that you guys are using a 3rd party VOIP client, based upon your impressions of common voice 'chatter', and I cannot disagree with your observations, as I have seen (heard) it myself on occasion.

Let me put it to you straight - with your experience in game, do you think a single, common, VOIP client should be used, so that all teammates can share team information? - or - Do you think multiple, 'private', VOIP clients should continue to be used so that only a select few players can communicate with each other and exclude the rest of the team from tactical information?

Not trying to be a $mart @$$, just trying to discover why multiple VOIP client's are in use, when sharing information could mean the difference between winning or loosing a match.

Thanks guys for letting me dig into your grey matter.

Peace All

There are several possible Programs you may use...f.e. Teamspeak or Discord to name two but I still think you may belive there is some secred place where all ppl go....there isn't.

Most people just don'T talk much since the averange drop is over after 5 to 8 mins and everyone knows ho i works.
So again Voip is only on during a match while you are running around shooting other bots.
Outside of a match there is the possibility to send chat messages over the group tab to your online friends.
Further you can use the chat window to post in faction chat if you have a faction or in unit chat if you are in a unit.

The way to get hooked up with a group is to go into the recruitment forum search the recruitment thread of a unit or simply make a post asking for a team (don't forget to mention your prefered language and TIMEZONE)
They will tell you wich voice program they prefere so you can get it.

But otherwise there is no platform or pool to get connected to people to organize a team prior to droping.

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 September 2017 - 11:38 PM.

#11 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

at the end of the game, a lot of the time in the PUG queue, its going to come down to a handful of players, and the sort of mood they might happen to be in, on the day, at that time .... a 'good' player can look at the mechs to the left and right, and have a good idea of what they *SHOULD* do ... on the other hand, you might see a name, and that might inspire you to know, that this dudes got my back, and I can go a bit wild, because KarbonKopy is going to clean up whatever I cant handle ... or maybe its MonPax, or Rian Kerz ... hell, it could be Lizzee ... it really doesn't matter ... as a general rule ... the majority of players, I wouldn't rely on very much ...

but if you get unlucky enough to face all those names above, you probably wont know what hit you, you probably wont see it coming, and the rest of the team will probably not manage to score much damage before they have killed everyone ....

you might have a game full of tier1 players ... but that doesn't make them all equal, and sometimes the chaos of trying to outdo your teammates can make it seem like it was really well coordinated from the other side ... even if it was actually a chaotic friendly fire fest .... its hard to really tell when your being pounded on ...

and the lack of any sort of review system doesn't help at all ... which is actually one of the reasons I took to recording games, so I could analyse what really happened after the fact .... most maps are only going to turn out only so many ways, per so many modes ... but even something that happens once in every two hundred games, happens every so often ... with 24 witnesses ... in theory ...

all you can control, are your own efforts, so as long as your generally outputting more damage than you bring armour, losses are probably not a direct reflection on you ...

#12 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

You guys are great.
Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom.
I will strive to be more observant and helpful to my team, even without Voice commands/requests.
Nice to know there are players who care enough to share their knowledge with 'potatoes' like me.

Peace-Out

#13 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

in puglandia the voip is used by the 1st teammate to die to say 'you guys suck'. in group games players try to coordinate and share info, even dead i can warn teammates of uavs or enemies i see while they have tunnel vision from intense fighting

do you not hear the ingame voip at all?if not look in the game setting and see if its set on the correct playback device.or that voip is enabled and its sound levels.

Edited by Gorantir, 14 October 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#14 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

you couldn't pay me to listen to that drivel .... and you know what, if the first guy to die tells you that you suck, and the team goes on to lose, he was probably right .... theres a lot of trashmechs getting around at the moment ... and they all think they are great, snipers in assaults ... unable to aim their dakka, cant do as much damage as they brought armour ....

unless your on HPG with no atmosphere, all VOIP does is block out useful sounds, like footsteps .... and then theres the lack of any normalization .... but yknow, code fail is about what we come to expect, as normal

#15 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

in group play voip is used and useful

if you dont use and hate voip, why are you posting? his post is about not hearing it, not about 'who hates voip and why?'

Edited by Gorantir, 15 October 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#16 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostGorantir, on 15 October 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

if you dont use and hate voip, why are you posting? his post is about not hearing it, not about 'who hates voip and why?'

I guess you like your debates one sided, with no consideration for the opposition, the point is, you don't need to hear the dribble, to be a decent teammate ...

#17 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 15 October 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

I guess you like your debates one sided, with no consideration for the opposition, the point is, you don't need to hear the dribble, to be a decent teammate ...

the voices in your head seem to be too much alreadyPosted Image

peace let us know if you get it working.

Edited by Gorantir, 15 October 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#18 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:27 AM

View PostGorantir, on 15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

the voices in your head seem to be too much already
for someone who joined before VOIP was unified into the game, some might have thought you'd have a longer memory, but seriously, if your dependant on VOIP, I'm glad I've never seen you in any tier1 games .... maybe you were there, but never managed to leave an impression ....

a quick look at your in game stats, reveals that VOIP doesn't help you much at all ... 55 games, 50 deaths ... maybe you shouldn't be giving any advice to anyone ...

#19 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

i play with a joystick and throttle, i never hide in an assault and i always push and I dont care about my stats LOL or dying even to win the match which still has nothing to do with him trying to get his voip to work.
I never said i was great just not antisocial.

If i wanted any lip from you, I would have scraped it off my zipperPosted Image

oh Peace2U did you get your voip working yet?

Posted Image

here's a game from last week
Posted Image

admittedly i can be the best in a match or the worst but who cares?as long as i have fun with my friends?or even have friends.

Posted Image

Edited by Gorantir, 16 October 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

Voip is like the lottery
You gotta be in it to win it

If you don't use voip you can't reap its benefits
even if those benefits are hit and miss
somedayz you hit the jackpot.

For example during the Luthien event I waz having trouble getting a scouting win whilst solo dropping wid puggz.

Being a serial voiper and hungover, I just didn't wanna voip that morning, but for about 10 games I just keep losing, and wid the same pugz over and over.

Finally I broke, and voiped my pugmates a brillant and cunning plan
Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, We Won The Game first try.

My point is even if Voip only does good things 30% of the time, that's still 30% moar than not using it.

Mute button is very handy for when you just don't wanna listen to a particular someone.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 October 2017 - 07:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users