Ecm On An Assault Worth It?

18 replies to this topic

#1 The 4th Amigo

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

So I've almost made enough C-bills to get an assault mech and I see that some of them are ECM capable. Is ECM viable on an assault? I would think due to their size and slowness they can't hide easily so getting to cover after taking a shot could be a problem.

#2 Robaxacet

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSteel Tower

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

I would say yes, to protect yourself but also presumably you will be with other assaults so they can benefit from being hidden as well. Nothing surprises the enemy like a few ECM-hidden Assaults.

#3 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Depends on the assault and how skilled you are. Atlas DDC is a no brained "yes", while something like the Cyclops 11P is more of a "maybe/depends".

#4 The 4th Amigo

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostAthom83, on 19 September 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Depends on the assault and how skilled you are. Atlas DDC is a no brained "yes", while something like the Cyclops 11P is more of a "maybe/depends".

I was thinking Marauder IIC but the ECM version doesn't have many weapons hardpoints compared to some of the other versions. I'm average on a good day as long as a light mech with gauss damage machine guns doesn't sneak up behind me and kill me in one burst.

Edited by The 4th Amigo, 19 September 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#5 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

Doesn't weight much for all the benefits ecm give. If you can put one, put one.

#6 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostThe 4th Amigo, on 19 September 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

So I've almost made enough C-bills to get an assault mech and I see that some of them are ECM capable. Is ECM viable on an assault? I would think due to their size and slowness they can't hide easily so getting to cover after taking a shot could be a problem.

Depends.

ECM is decent in Solo vs bads if you dont LRM or try to laser snipe at 700m+.

Dual Gauss could net you some nice trades vs bads. Gaussvomit if you have a nice angle.

Vs decent players, ECM loses value.

ECM is not what it used to be.

#7 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostThe 4th Amigo, on 19 September 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

I was thinking Marauder IIC but the ECM version doesn't have many weapons hardpoints compared to some of the other versions. I'm average on a good day as long as a light mech with gauss damage machine guns doesn't sneak up behind me and kill me in one burst.

I absolutely love my mad2c-d, but be aware that this is not a mech for everyone as it requires a very specific playstyle to do well, and there arent too many viable loadout choices for it in the 1st place. Ive been running mine with 2 gauss, 1 HLL, and 1 ERML (you can do 2 ERLL if you dont mind less alfa strike), and it really works well if you can avoid being focused down by the enemy (not that hard with ECM). Just make sure you put top engine in it, since 64.8 is about the absolute minimum speed id consider viable in solo games (too much stupid nascaring), and make sure you dont get left behind or you die (ive had a few times where i managed to pull off some backstabs with it after i separated from team, but dont expect to live often if you do get separated). Also, since its got plenty of tonnage leftover (cant go above the xl340), you can add 2 ATM-3 or 2 SRM-4/6 to it as a bit of emergency/auxillary firepower (SRMs are best when someone gets in your face, ATMs are a little bit more general purpose, and are good to scare people with missile warnings).

Aside from this, you can try dual uac-10s with SRM-6s and the same laser weapons (really wish it had 2 ST energy, but cant get everything). Its a bit screwy though, since the uac10s jam way too often for my taste (i dont know if its just me, but the mad2c-d with dual 10s seems notorious at double jamming like multiple times a game), gauss rifles are probably more practical given the ECM and chassis strengths.

Still, ECM isnt what makes or breaks mechs, and oftentimes, you may be better off running a non-ecm mech because it has better hardpoints and or quirks. There are quite a few examples of ECM mechs that have atrocious hardpoints or no quirks at all out there (mad2c-d isnt one, it just has very few things it can do semi well). Ofc if your mech has the ability to carry ECM (or is omnimech and taking ECM doesnt remove much offensive ability) then there is no reason not to bring ECM, but consider getting a mech first and foremost based on what weapons it can bring and whether you enjoy that sort of playstyle.

Still, if you do like gauss rifles, i say get a mad2c-d, it wont dissapoint in that regard (and you get ecm on it which makes it so much more survivable)...

Edited by panzer1b, 19 September 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#8 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

View PostThe 4th Amigo, on 19 September 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

ECM is always worthwhile, even if you don't spend the 11 or so points in Sensors to grab the skill nodes.

PS: if you are looking at the Atlas D-DC, be advised that the only thing it does really well is brawling (although a UAC/5 support build can also work, if less well.)

#9 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

Right off the bat, if you choose to use ECM, make sure you invest in the skill points to max out that sensor range reduction.

ECM is one of those things that not everyone in the team needs, but having even a few could make a large difference. Preventing enemy locks at long range helps to protect yourself and allies against spotting (Sure, you can be physically seen, but there won't be a [big red box] telling the whole enemy team where you are.) and LRMs. It can allow you and your teammates to get into a favorable position more easily.

Putting such a device in a machine that is hard to kill will allow that benefit to stay active longer.

---

As for builds, you can actually do pretty much anything you would normally do and change your play to take advantage of the ECM buff.

The Marauder II-C D makes a good example:

2 Gauss, 1 ERLL, fill the rest with whatever you want.
Get into a long range position where you can lock enemies and they can't lock you. You have visual aids and target information on them. They get no aids against you and can't focus on weakened parts.

2 LBX20/UAC20/AC20, fill the rest with whatever you want.
You use ECM to help you avoid detection as you close the distance. Then you unload upon the enemy at close range.

2 LRM20, fill the rest with whatever you want ammo.
This is a horrible idea and ECM won't make it any better. Never do this.

#10 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostThe 4th Amigo, on 19 September 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

The MAD IIC-D also has a much lower engine cap. Pretty slow compared to the other MAD IICs

#11 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

Speaking as someone who had a ECM Atlas sneak up on his Wolfhound on Crimson Straight, yes!

Even if you cant pull off the Spooky Atlas, it makes you a harder target for LRMs and Streaks.

#12 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

Every once in a while, you will get that one scared team which hugs you and doesn't leave your umbrella - less spotting so it will be harder to tell where the enemies are and less effective firing lines because people just bunch up under the bubble, standing in each others way instead of making effective use of available cover.

That aside, ecm is worth it to cover your approach. Once you're spotted or entering the brawl, it will be less usefull.
Against better players it will be worth less ofc.

One thing to keep in mind is that tag (and narc) counters ECM, so if the respective symbol shows up on the right side of your screen, you should seek some cover and look around for spotters.

#13 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostExilyth, on 20 September 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

Every once in a while, you will get that one scared team which hugs you and doesn't leave your umbrella - less spotting so it will be harder to tell where the enemies are and less effective firing lines because people just bunch up under the bubble, standing in each others way instead of making effective use of available cover.

I've actually managed to make that situation work out. Because people are grouped up with me and following my ECM, I can lead them where I want them to go and get them into a position where they can fight the enemy together. There's usually some unavoidable friendly fire, but a team that stays together will almost always beat a team that spreads out.

#14 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

Speaking from experience, the MAD IIC - D is a scary beast provided you choose your approach path well staying out of line of sight until the last possible moment.

I use mine with twin LBX 20s an ER PPC and an ER Medium in the head. The ER PPC gives you some poke at range and is surprisingly effective in a brawl albeit you need to watch your heat.

Creep up under ECM cover, then unleash with the LBXs. It's not the fastest but I haven't found the slow speed too much of a problem.

It's definitely more flexible than the Atlas DDC - that one is a bit of an all or nothing option. Either you get close without being spotted and wreck face and score 1000 damage or you get spotted and score 100! Needless to say, some maps are a lot harder in a DDC.....

#15 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

<script></script>

I loved my Stalker Loyalty version with ECM.

And then I finally made it to tier 3 (which I think is my limit) and I stopped LRMing.

Back in my LRM days, ECM was the bomb

An error occurred
[color=#EEEEEE]

post_too_short

[/color][/center]

#16 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

I'm at work so I cant go into detail.... but there is a lot to be said for Surprise DDCs. If you can successfully flank with force, the ECM warning is usually mistaken for a light or medium and someone almost always face charges around the corner just in time to put their face in front of the AC20.

#17 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

Not that it's a good build but, been having a ton of fun with MRM 80 Stalker with stealth armor

#18 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

I like my Marauder IIC with ECM. It's surprising how people sometimes don't notice you until you're firing a uAC 20 into them every second.
(2x uAC20, 2x SSRM4, 1 LPLAS, LAMS). Even if only one person per match ignores you, that's still some free shots you get in.

#19 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 19 September 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

The MAD IIC-D also has a much lower engine cap. Pretty slow compared to the other MAD IICs

The MAD IIC-D is still my fave ECM assault, just got the Nightstar 10P which by comparison is total garbage in every way imaginable, regret buying that waste of a mech now :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users