What Makes You Good

93 replies to this topic

#1 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Ive come to the logical question of what makes you good..

is it clear precise comms,
is it good tactical info
is it kill to death ratio
is it wins

what makes you a mechwarrior

Do you understand, "lance plus 2 left/ north g5"
does it matter, "target alpha 2 uac5 take the right shoulder"

or is it..

hahahah ******* i got 3 kills and 300 damage...

what makes you a great mechwarrior?

Edited by Burning2nd, 20 September 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Willing to move up an take one for the team. Seriously, just the willingness to work together and get stuck in to help your team. Don't care how much damage you can pull out, if you can't provide a unified front, you'll end up being blown apart one by one.

We have people drop into our unit's chat from time to time asking to drop with us, an we'll take folk along to flesh out a full drop of twelve. Well, one night one of the random folk who joined was having a hard time getting damage done. Partially builds, partially the fact they never twisted and didn't really stick to cover, but also partially the fact they'd be moving up and even infront of me sometimes, an if you don't know, I'm a bit of a hard charger. Which means this mechwarrior was sometimes the closest to the enemy, an thus primary target.

So, this mechwarrior had some rough matches. 400~200 damage many of the games, but he ran with us all night, cuz that son of a gun was up front in the vanguard every wave, and never complained, never balked at a push. When we broke for the night, I even offered to show 'em everything I could think of about brawling and twisting, moving and aiming, an in general getting damage out an surviving. Not because I wanted a better mechwarrior besides me, but because I already had a great mechwarrior besides me, but they were feeling overshadowed, and I wanted them to get more outta the game, to keep 'em coming back.

'W' for the Win.

~Leone, of Kell's Commandos.

Edited by Leone, 20 September 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

What Leone said. Be willing to be a team player, even if that means your results for the match won't be great, it'll balance out in another match.

Had a match like that just a few hours ago in my King Crab on River city. Enemy did standard cluster around the citadel while we made an Assault (plus extras) push over the bridge. Enemy was distracted by the rest of our team who were keeping up the standard poke and fade facade you often see the team on the non-citadel side do.

We were coming through the airfield tunnel and the enemy was in a bad position. Our lead Atlas is discovered, don't know if he shot first or not but whatever the case, he flinched. He was taking damage and was trying to reverse instead of pushing through the exit. We were about to become the proverbial fish in the barrel.

So I shouldered past and stepped through the enemy fire, override on, weapons blazing like mad regardless of heat, twisting left and right. Already when I started the push I knew I wouldn't make it, and 2 more enemy mechs showing up confirmed that. I was actually surprised I managed to make it out of the tunnel and even into the cover of one of the buildings with the loss of only a side torso. Even got myself a kill versus a Shadowhawk. Then I died to a Kodiak.

But that didn't matter, because the rest of the group had followed in the push. Some through the tunnel, others from up high at the airfield and when they knew the reds were distracted by our push the rest of the team rushed the citadel from the other side and the red team went down in a withering crossfire.

I died early and had a pretty meh score, and it was glorious. Posted Image

And as for what makes me personally a better mechwarrior? Patience. Not trying to be in front all the time regardless of what mech I'm driving. Taking the time to read the enemy team's actions (and just as important those of my own). Not commiting to a fight too soon. That makes me a better player.

Some of my worst games are from when I try to use MWO as an outlet to blow of some steam from work related stress or something. It's a game that lends itself poorly for such a thing.

#4 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

https://youtu.be/LDAT-kt5VVE

Be aggressive!

Having run with Leone from time to time this has been imprinted upon me, LOL. And depending on the mech I'm in, I'm stupidly so from time to time. Some of the faster, agile mediums make me feel predatory, though my stats wouldn't bear that out. My win/loss ratio is much better than my KDR is but neither are über-level. However, I'm a two year Seraphim Regiment pilot and have run with BCMC, MWR, and Kcom detachments in group queue as well. What the best pilots seem to have in common are aggressive tactics and support of their group members. Almost without exception, in matches I do well in, even where no one is calling, the key is working together with like minded pilots on a certain goal.

Very often you will see me in a medium or a light heavy, making a lone beeline to the heaviest lance in the group I'm in-when in QP solo queue I'm the one following the Annihilator into the battle. I strongly believe in supporting the firepower, as that usually is where the best shots in the company are. I'll engage targets in their line of fire from the flank or poptarting over their heads. I'll hunt lights that try to backsnipe them. That's especially fun in an Uziel or Phoenix Hawk, which both are agile and mobile mechs. If I'm in an assault mech or a heavier heavy mech I will take place on the line and stride into the enemy, hoping to inspire others to push with me as I go. I may go down, but two or three reds will be open and damaged. I used to do a lot of LRM skirmishing, but these days I prefer a more mobile approach and have a mech with jets that can popMRM and hit with lasers and light ballistics, or scuttle along close to the ground hard to see, slinging ATMs and heavy lasers in the shadow of scarier mechs than I am.

Where I do poorly is when I get caught alone by enemy brawlers, usually outnumbered and focused. You're going down then, even if you're Proton.

#5 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Being careful and being the first one to hit full throttle backwards works for me. I try to keep a lookout of the map.

Im really poor with aiming, specially tracking faster movement.

#6 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Situational awareness. Be the hunter, not the prey.

...not having it is what makes me bad, anyway.

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

I'd go with situational awareness and knowing just what to do to put the situation in your favor as best you can. You know you can't win all situations, but you know you can put up a good fight before you go down and maybe pull out a win with some luck involved. Knowing when to push and when to hold is another good trait, sometimes you shouldn't just rush right into an enemy firing line with no backup, and sometimes you just need to push the group of beat up enemies and finish them off before they can cool down.

Usually with good situational awareness you can make due with just about any mech.

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 20 September 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

is it clear precise comms,
is it good tactical info
is it kill to death ratio
is it wins

None of the above to some degree's. Tactical info is too broad.

1. Map awareness - Paying attention to where mechs are, where they are moving in relation to where you are.
2. Mech awareness - Paying attention to which mechs are weak, where. So when you see them next, you punish that spot again.
3. Map + Mech - Know what mechs are where and their loadouts. Should you be closer or further away (in relation to your loadout also)
4. Watch decent streamers - Juju / Bear_cl4w / The_B33f etc etc.
5. Don't listen to people giving advice if their Avg Match score is below 250.

#9 AJBennett

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 165 posts
  • Location...the psychotic chihuahua chewing on your leg!

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

learn to be consistent first...the rest will follow.

(advice given to me)

#10 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Be willing to play as an effective member of a team. Suspend your need to stand out as an individual in the name of helping the team seize victory. Listen to your drop commander, take the right mechs as per his specifications, follow his commands.

When you put your team ahead of yourself, everything falls into place.

#11 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

Positioning is most important, understanding how firing lines work.
Being able to hit what your aiming for, if you can quickly target and fire is important too.
When you expose to the enemy you usually have about 3 seconds before they see you and turn to shoot unless they already know where your at and are targeting you. But its in those 3 seconds that you can aim + fire and try to get back to cover that give you the advantage of the trade.

Edited by Sunstruck, 21 September 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#12 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

A video that someone made of me years back, Im always one to command and relay..

In this particular date and time i was a designated spider pilot (until i found the lct-pb)

Im glad i was able to get some generally good answers out of you guys

I am a extremely aggressive locust pilot.. Ive ranged everything for 8 kills and 1200 damage to 0,0,0,0,0
personally winning in a video game doesn't matter to me.. Im here because since 1989 ive been a whole bred mechwarrior, making mechs with lego's thinking like a mechwarrior

Whats better then giant robots with machine guns and lasers and rockets?

Over the years my kdr has gone up and done, ive been first page material ive been in championship games, ive been on you tube, as of right now my KRD is taken a beating... but my win/loss is increasing very fast

honestly still adjusting from the skill tree change,

Edited by Burning2nd, 22 September 2017 - 02:23 AM.

#13 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:32 AM

but to answer my own question its all of the above

Switching from general suppressive fire to precise component destruction
identifying builds by weapon carriy'n choice (although this just got a lot harder with the new engines)

isolating targets and coordinating adjustments in firing line

When i say bravo lance wave off... (while all of my lance alpha is chasing the squirrel) that means we do not need any more mechs and in saying so... you should understand that "bravo lance wave off" means your fire is needed else where we got this... get the fk back to where your lance is

thanks for your time guys...

Edited by Burning2nd, 22 September 2017 - 02:32 AM.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

cola and passionate motivation created by positive thoughts.

#15 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Ive had a slight change in thought since this morning:

the round that just happened is the example of what i was trying to portray

2 different people with clear mics: making tactical calls and decisions from the forward position and the rear position @ the same time... both transmitting info and movement commands... @ some times directly over each other... but both different and only relevant to the teams fwd and rwd positions

I added that man cause that was the best person ive every had the pressure of calling the team with I hope be accepts

#16 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:37 AM

1. build a good mech (potato builds are potato, no matter how "fun" they are)
2. learn to play each map (despite popular belief, there ARE "correct" ways to play each map)
3. situational awareness (leaving the team doesn't count as "flanking")
4. precision shooting (R is your best friend)

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Some "comp" players seem to think "haha I got high stats and your stats are low so you should stfu."

...is what makes them good.

#18 DaveRatters

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

I just played a long streak of pug matches with a triple AMS Kitfox - it by definition is a support mech - working for the team as a whole is a must in this mech - getting as fast as possible to where team mates are being LRM'd, trying to chase off lights at the back (3 meds and 4 mgs are not sufficient these days!) - joining in as an apparent easy target when pushing to distract fire from the heavy hitters.

In short - cooperation and comradely behavior - using the mike to enhance this.

One example I just experienced was a Roughneck pilot (Kormak18 I think) - I was in the tunnel at Crimson near the side tunnel, and had stupidly shut down while trying to kite an assault, Kormrak18 stood in front of me to take the fire and to eventually kill the assault - he was saving me to continue helping the team to knock down LRMs.

That is for me what makes a good mech pilot, regardless of their stats.

Edited by DaveRatters, 23 September 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#19 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Sometimes, they just need to grab some uber-itis cream and shut their traps. Often, however, high-skill players I know just get tired of people responding to their advice with, "but it works for meeeee" when they know for a fact that it won't work against a higher class of opponent - which was the point of their advice.

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

Being a shooter game
good aim is required

Also risk management skills help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users