Are The Classics Old Mech Still Relevant Anymore?

42 replies to this topic

#41 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 23 September 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

I mean for myself, I don't do comp play but do partake in both QP and FW and I have a ton of mechs that that do phenomenally is QP that fair poorly in FW, in fact it was shocking to me how big a difference there was. For FW and its more sustained combat, I generally found I needed mechs that ran cooler and had more staying power than I was required in your normal QP so what was extremely viable in QP didn't perform well in FW. Same situation is going to exist with comp play. Different requirements require different mechs.

Interesting, my experience is the exact opposite. In Faction Play, at least if you're playing in a large group you want to build your mechs to last about 5 minutes max and be fast and frontloaded so they can do maximum damage in those 5 minutes. Ideally you want to use all 4 mechs and have every team member die about as fast so that your waves line up nicely to group up every 5 minutes. If someone doesn't die fast enough to group up with the new wave it's usually better to eject and jump in a fresh mech that to try and maximise that mech.

So basically for Faction Play you need more speed, and more DPS, but less staying power and ammo than in quickplay.

I suppose it's different if playing solo, but my best matches where I've gotten 3K damage and such with the groups I've played with have been the ones where I've both dealt damage effectively but even more importantly died and respawned at the perfect timing to line up 4 full pushes and if any mechs are ammo based I ideally want to run out of ammo and eject in roughly 4-5 minutes. Two of the basic strategic rules of siege has always been "Don't reinforce" and "Eject damaged mechs in time to join next wave", At least when attacking.

Just my 2 cents. I think it depends a lot on how your unit plays.

Edited by Sjorpha, 23 September 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#42 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 September 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Did you just use 'elegant' and 'Annihilator' in the same sentence?

You have to admit that build is elegant, perfectly symmetric, uses all slots and max engine rating. It makes me wish 7 tons of ammo was perfect. Maybe in 8v8 it will be. The only reason 7 tons feel like it isn't enough though is because of the insane DPS, so IMO if you manage to land that damage, which will be well above 1000, running out of ammo is not really a problem I think.

#43 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 23 September 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

You have to admit that build is elegant, perfectly symmetric, uses all slots and max engine rating.

Hey, I'm all for max engines in Annihilators, no matter what it takes. If 7 tons of ammo is the cost it takes to have a teammate who isn't puttering around at 30kph, I'll take it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users