Why Bring Supernovas?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:16 AM

Watching some of the MWOWC matches yesterday some of the teams were bringing laser Supernovas as their assult. Why choose such a slow mech with horrible mobility?

There was only one match where the Supernova paid off on overwatch, but all the other ones went down in lackluster flames. Did the heat sink change make them way better or something?

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostSunstruck, on 22 September 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

Watching some of the MWOWC matches yesterday some of the teams were bringing laser Supernovas as their assult. Why choose such a slow mech with horrible mobility?

There was only one match where the Supernova paid off on overwatch, but all the other ones went down in lackluster flames. Did the heat sink change make them way better or something?

Heat sink change (as in skill tree heat containment nodes) doesn't apply to tourney client

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

Added to that the SNV-1 still has higher mobility on the Tourney client as well.

Its arm mounts are a tad higher than a WHK as well.

#4 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

Good hitboxes, high alpha and sustain on 2+6 with good tracking with arms, best erll assault boat, jumpjets.

#5 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Supernova A last night got me over 1800 damage 8 kills and 3 assists, consistently scores me between 1100 and 1300 damage that's why supernova's and that's why LRM's.
That being said it's one of the most powerful platforms available, even a new player can do well in it.
NUFF SAID

Edited by KHAN ATTAKHAN, 03 October 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#6 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

View PostKHAN ATTAKHAN, on 03 October 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Supernova A last night got me over 1800 damage 8 kills and 3 assists, consistently scores me between 1100 and 1300 damage that's why supernova's and that's why LRM's.
That being said it's one of the most powerful platforms available, even a new player can do well in it.
NUFF SAID

Seems logic. But another question: Why do they all use so many ER Lasers (Med oder Large) in general? They are pretty rare in Public Qeue, also i dont remeber seeing many of them in the MRBC (even though my MRBC-Matches were in Season 8). What i remember about competitive play in general is mostly, that Pin Point Damage is important. In these matches here we barely have any pin point. ER PPCs for sure, but almost no Gauss, no Innere Sphere ACs... (probably because of Ghost Heat PPC+Gauss?) Can someone smarter than me explain? They all tend to go longrange (even on brawl maps such as Mining). Sure you chose the loadout first and then the map, but... still a little strange to me.

Edited by Archie4Strings, 04 October 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#7 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

View PostArchie4Strings, on 03 October 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

Seems logic. But another question: Why do they all use so many ER Lasers (Med oder Large) in general? They are pretty rare in Public Qeue, also i dont remeber seeing many of them in the MRBC (even though my MRBC-Matches were in Season 8). What i remember about competitive play in general is mostly, that Pin Point Damage is important. In these matches here we barely have any pin point. ER PPCs for sure, but almost no Gauss, no Innere Sphere ACs... (probably because of Ghost Heat PPC+Gauss?) Can someone smarter than me explain? They all tend to go longrange (even on brawl maps such as Mining). Sure you chose the loadout first and then the map, but... still a little strange to me.

You choose the map, then you have mech selection. Lasers are in the good spot right now, so they're getting played.

#8 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

mh... seems like i got something wrong. Ok.. Thank you!

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

View PostKHAN ATTAKHAN, on 03 October 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

NUFF SAID

how many lrms are there in the WC?

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:40 AM

View PostArchie4Strings, on 03 October 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

They all tend to go longrange (even on brawl maps such as Mining). Sure you chose the loadout first and then the map, but... still a little strange to me.

Long range is less risky as your relatively harder to hit/takes moar skill to hit accurately.
Long range means you are able to make the enemy dead or damaged at range, so once close eazier to kill.
Brawlers can't damage the enemy till they are close.

Edit: You can brawl with long range weapons but you cannot long range with brawl weapons.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 04 October 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#11 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 04 October 2017 - 03:40 AM, said:

Long range is less risky as your relatively harder to hit/takes moar skill to hit accurately.
Long range means you are able to make the enemy dead or damaged at range, so once close eazier to kill.
Brawlers can't damage the enemy till they are close.

Game 3 Of 228O V SJR highlights this well.

SJR had a range/Overwatch, that destroyed the push of 228.

Also don't forget when playing at high ping, ERLL are 100% easier to hit than PPC's, I was surprised to see NA teams playing on high ping using more pinpoint weapons when they are not used to it.

Edited by live1991, 04 October 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#12 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:41 PM

Thank you ;)
I understand the concept and advantages of Long Range Weapons. Also short Range weapons got other advantages. I was just wondering, why no one ist going to brawl. Maybe because of the Gamemode Conquest? Its much easier to "control" the map and the caps with Medium/Longrange Loadouts than with SRMs and Med Pulse. Or ist it just, that the advantage of Brawl-Loadouts (higher Alpha, less Heat) is not as strong as long range weapons in general? Or is it just because of the maps? But i am not sure about that, because ive seen a few teams playing longrange even on Mining Collective.

#13 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

Full brawl deck has too many counters.

Comp is slower paced and spread out, Harder for brawls as the range team can just back away from a brawling push and destroy them before they make it in.

Also a brawling push can be screwed by strikes

Range team can hold a cap point at 900+ meters, Brawl team can hold it at 300M

Edited by live1991, 05 October 2017 - 06:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users