Do Clans Have Any 40 Ton Or Below Mechs That Can Take On A Srm Assassin And Win?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

All other factors being equal obviously.

The Assassin has great mobility, hitboxes (small, slim, humanoid profile), armor quirks, shield arms that act as ablative armor and torso mounted hardpoints.

The 40 ton viper obviously isnt anywhere near as good as the assassin, the jenner IIC has way worse hitboxes + easy to shoot off arms, Kit fox/Adder needs no explanation, pre-nerf ACH with small pulse stoods the best chance i think but obviously that is pre-nerf.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Srms are bad at hitting small targets, just take a cheeta or viper with cool lasers and MG and circle strafe. Keep you distance and feather JJs.

#3 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

^ this. Too many pilots like to stand still in light/fast Meds... That right there spells your end as you're a juicy target for SRMs.

Or simply - plan your deck better. Don't drop assaults. Drop 65-60T mechs and then have room to play. Be selective when you do drop your 40-50T mech and np.

Assassin is easily legged if you aim for the hip - not the actual leg. You basically can't miss (if you can aim).

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 22 September 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

All other factors being equal obviously.

There is no equal, btw.

This game is excellent in terms of various tactics, ways to go about things. There is no "Equal" as such. You play to the strengths of one and exploit weakness of the other.

#5 Daidachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 461 posts
  • LocationThe Andromeda Initiative

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

The hip in particular is a solid piece of advice - thanks to no inverse kinematics in the game, the hip will always remain stable, while the leg will obviously move as the mech does. It's why the juiciest spot on chicken walkers is always the ball joint.

#6 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Any leg-humping Clan light MG boat or Laser boat should be able to kill an Assassin, but the new Mist Lynx (overused flavor-of-the-month) got nerfed because of the exploitation of Light Machine guns which were buffed because so many people continue to whine for anti-infantry weapons to be OP vs Mechs and PGI continually capitulates until it gets exploited and then they do a knee-jerk nerf. Seriously, there is a copious amount of source material for "A Battletech Game", use some of it as a guideline and quit trying to make it your own PGI. Yes, your (Alex's) contribution to BATTLETECH artwork is very much appreciated, and definitely what you should consider to be "PGI's" contribution to the IP (even the co-father of BATTLETECH agrees), but the knee-jerk buffs and nerfs to weapons based on the whining of players (especially the very few comp players who are a very small percentage of a relatively small player base), really hurts this game's potential.

Edited by Ed Steele, 23 September 2017 - 12:49 AM.

#7 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostNlGHTBlRD, on 22 September 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Srms are bad at hitting small targets, just take a cheeta or viper with cool lasers and MG and circle strafe. Keep you distance and feather JJs.

The funny thing is...i have seen people say that SRMs are bad at hitting fast light mechs before and the usual response was usually along the lines of "learn to aim, i run SRM boats regularly and get 1000+ damage easily and have no problems killing light mechs"...

Im not disagreeing with you, I just find it funny that nobody is using the usual response to your post.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 23 September 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

They aren't bad - people are bad.

Hence they "say" SRMs are bad. It's not the weapon's problem. It's the fact people cannot lead a target to save themselves. Rely on the fact that most people cannot land SRM shots accurately because the fact is, the majority of the MWO player base, can't.

#9 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

Also, you leg at the hip. It's stationary relative to the torso.

Quit shooting the wiggly thin bits. You'll do better.

Lasers + MGs.

The Assassin is strong - no question. However that just means it's comparable. I know most Clan players haven't got a lot of experience playing on an even field but I encourage you all to challenge yourselves.

#10 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

Short answer is No.

Nightbird is right; ACH for small size, Viper because of erratic movement. Otherwise you should run for help from friendlies.

#11 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

No .

#12 Slowth

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

Yep, Its called the Jenner IIC, its quicker and has more bang than the Assassin.
Yes, it has bigger Torso, but its shorter and nimbler too.

#13 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostSlowth, on 05 October 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Yep, Its called the Jenner IIC, its quicker and has more bang than the Assassin.
Yes, it has bigger Torso, but its shorter and nimbler too.

Arm mounted weapons with no durability quirks means that it will get disarmed first, while the Assassin is using his arms to shield his side torsos from damage. The assassin has at least 28% more hp...thats a huge difference, not even counting the better hitboxes. Just doesn't seem like a very favorable matchup to me.

#14 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:01 PM

Also, Arctic Wolf :)

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostNightbird, on 06 October 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

Also, Arctic Wolf Posted Image

Arctic Wolf... and if those Assassins are still being a pain... it can SSRM boat if desired. (Though, SRMs or Lasers can do a better job landing damage where you want typically, but enough SSRMs can drop anything. Given enough time...)

I'm actually really looking forward to the Arctic Wolf. I've been told by people that "it's probably going to be a waste", but I think it has potential. I can almost fit most any of my Huntsmen builds on it, for 10 tons less. In a large group, that 10 tons may be better served for another player. Not to mention the Battlemech versions can go rather fast from what I can tell...

Obviously, hit boxes, quirks and some other finer points of the mech wont be known till it's release. But I'm actually rather hopeful for it. Probably wont need much if any quirks is my guess, depending upon the hit boxes.

#16 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 October 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

Arctic Wolf... and if those Assassins are still being a pain... it can SSRM boat if desired. (Though, SRMs or Lasers can do a better job landing damage where you want typically, but enough SSRMs can drop anything. Given enough time...)

I'm actually really looking forward to the Arctic Wolf. I've been told by people that "it's probably going to be a waste", but I think it has potential. I can almost fit most any of my Huntsmen builds on it, for 10 tons less. In a large group, that 10 tons may be better served for another player. Not to mention the Battlemech versions can go rather fast from what I can tell...

Obviously, hit boxes, quirks and some other finer points of the mech wont be known till it's release. But I'm actually rather hopeful for it. Probably wont need much if any quirks is my guess, depending upon the hit boxes.

It will mean alot in FP... drop a 45 to the new 40 SRM brawler late game and upgrade one of the 65's into the 70 ton Nova Cat... strengthen the deck line up for many maps. But then it also helps fill out brawler decks and gives the Clan a great counter to the Assassin.

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:29 AM

Arctic Wolf is coming out soon. It will be as good as the Assassin, if not better in SRM brawling. It has the capability to pack close to twice as much firepower than the Assassin. Arctic Wolf will probably not gonna have durability quirks but unlike the Assassin its CXL engine will not mean instant death the moment one ST pops.

Meanwhile, use 6xCSRM6 Jenny-IIC and try to one-shot the Assassin's component. 72 damage from close range is no joke.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 October 2017 - 12:35 AM.

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Damn, I cancelled my Arctic Wolf Pre-Order and went for the Piranha instead.

Oh well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users