Suggested Assault Mech To Go For Next?

18 replies to this topic

#1 UltimaWeapon

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

Although I've only used the Trial versions so far, specifically the Dire Wolf & Stalkers, I tried to look through the Clan Mechs that have what I want, and although a specific Marauder IIC or Warhawk I'm asking here in case any of you know a better alternative for what I should aim for, this is what I "demand" for my next Assault Mech:

- Clan Assaults only

- On the Frontline

- Average Firepower & Heavy/Max Armor

- preferably as high max tonnage as possible

- Would primarily use Energy & Ballistics at Close~Mid Range, as well as being armed lightly with LRMs, almost exclusively to suppress Snipers

Thanks in advance Posted Image

Edited by UltimaWeapon, 22 September 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#2 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Kodiak perhaps. Good mobility, good armor. I'd recommend it over the Dire Wolf.

The only other clan Assault I have xp in is the Warhawk, more of a fire support than front line mech though.

#3 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

MAD-IIC most variants would fulfill your requirements. The MADCAT-IIC would as well.

#4 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I agre with MAD IIC.

#5 UltimaWeapon

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:41 PM

View PostThe Trumpet of Gabriel, on 23 September 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

MAD-IIC most variants would fulfill your requirements. The MADCAT-IIC would as well.

Don't you mean the Timber Wolf Mk.II when it's released? (Not counting the Early adopts)

#6 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

Marauder IIC is a reliable choice. The base variant is excellent with a full laser vomit loadout and the -A is nice with 3 UAC5's and a bunch of lasers for backup.

Mixed loadouts are generally a bad idea since its usually advantageous to maximize the damage you can do all at once, so I would not worry about adding missiles to the mix.

#7 UltimaWeapon

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

View PostGagis, on 24 September 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

Marauder IIC is a reliable choice. The base variant is excellent with a full laser vomit loadout and the -A is nice with 3 UAC5's and a bunch of lasers for backup.

Mixed loadouts are generally a bad idea since its usually advantageous to maximize the damage you can do all at once, so I would not worry about adding missiles to the mix.

So, you're saying that it's better that I'd stick with Ballistics & Energy, and try and suppress the snipers with the them instead of LRMs, if I'd only use them for that?

Edited by UltimaWeapon, 24 September 2017 - 04:43 AM.

#8 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

View PostUltimaWeapon, on 24 September 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

So, you're saying that it's better that I'd stick with Ballistics & Energy, and try and suppress the snipers with the them instead of LRMs, if I'd only use them for that?
Correct. Squeezing in another 10 points of damage or something like that into your initial volley is just that much more important.

#9 UltimaWeapon

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostGagis, on 24 September 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

Correct. Squeezing in another 10 points of damage or something like that into your initial volley is just that much more important.

Just curious, what about the Supernova? I mean, if having a few LRMs are primarily to suppress the Snipers.

(speaking of which, when I checked out a Youtube video to get a sample on how the cockpit looks like, reminded me of an old DOS game I played when I was a kid: Descent. Because, again, the cockpit reminded me of the "HUD" in respective game)

#10 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

Supernova was on top of the heap for a while after the agility of Marauder IIC was nerfed, but I got an impression it was about to be toned down as well. Its a bit less flexible in its roles since it has TINY engines, but can do laser vomit roughly as well as the Marauder and ER Large Laser sniping much better. It lacks ballistic options, but has a missile variant.

#11 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Just picked up a MAD IIC A during the sale, does well even without a investing in the skill tree. The Mad IIC D has been used as a Gauss platform but I would wait for the Mad Cat MKII personally (slightly higher arm mounts)

Kodiak 3 is also a go to mech though they have become bullet magnets. Days of doing 1000+ damage are fewer now everyone calls for a air strike as soon as they spot a dakka bear. Not a Gauss sniper myself but the KDK3 has been a favorite for 2X Gauss platform for the last year.

Super Nova has it's fans if your not looking for speed.

#12 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostUltimaWeapon, on 24 September 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

Another issue with using LRMs to suppress is that an enemy can alpha you and step back to cover before you even have a chance to lock. Then add the flight time of LRMs and it's generally not worth the tonnage as a back up weapon.

#13 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostUltimaWeapon, on 23 September 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Don't you mean the Timber Wolf Mk.II when it's released? (Not counting the Early adopts)

No, the name of the Mad Cat MK.II IS MadCat mk.II

That battlemech was never named Timber Wolf.
http://www.sarna.net...i/Mad_Cat_Mk_II

#14 XiminettXL

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Catalonia

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Commando 2D...

#15 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostXiminettXL, on 24 September 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

Commando 2D...

Assault mechs dude.

Its Marauder IIC or MadCat MKII.
Wouldn't recommend the Kodiak after the engine desync too large hitboxes and no armor quirks.

#16 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I actually would suggest the uac 20 six er small Gargoyle for a frontline Assualt. It can keep up with the Timberwolves.

~Leone.

#17 UltimaWeapon

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

OK, thanks for the info everyone. So overall, I should aim for the Marauder IIC, or the Mad Cat Mk.II (when it's released for MC & C-Bills) for my next Assault Mech

#18 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:15 AM

keep in mind that one of the Marauder IIC variants is currently 50% off c-bill price, making it 4.x million? That's a steal for that mech.

#19 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 25 September 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

keep in mind that one of the Marauder IIC variants is currently 50% off c-bill price, making it 4.x million? That's a steal for that mech.

Indeed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users