29 replies to this topic

#1 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

Getting ready to drop some $$ on an alienware 17 R4
Given the I7 7700 and a GTX1070, what FPS should I expect?

Yes i know the engine is garbage, but I'd like some expectations as this thing is like 2k+ configured.

Thanks

#2 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Don't buy alienware. overpriced junk that gives out in under 3 years in some way or another. look into another brand.

as for FPS, as a laptop, expect 40-50 in game

#3 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

What's the monitor's refresh rate? There's your answer.

#4 Alteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 22 September 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

There's the real question right there. Got myself a Geforce 970ti and was at 60 FPS with a standard 60hz monitor about 60 FPS. New Predator with 144hz and now I'm getting 110 to 170+ FPS.

Edited by Alteran, 22 September 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#5 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 22 September 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

#6 Alteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostHumpday, on 22 September 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

As long as you ensure that you are maxed out on your refresh rate you should "expect" 100+ FPS. There are other settings that will impact this, but I've got almost everything maxed out and I am in the 100+ on MWO and pretty much everything else that I play.

#7 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Yes i know the engine is garbage
its not the engine (seeing all other Cry Multiplayergames) its the serverbased Calculation from mWO

#8 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

My new computer (well new as of July) is an ASUS I7-7700 with 12 gigs of DDR4, and a GTX 1050, and an Asus gaming monitor that's rated for 75hz. In the mech lab I see 60fps. In matches... typically in the 80s but some maps I'm into the 100-120 range. The thing is...monitor refresh rates only limit how many times per second the thing can change the image not the frame rate your computer is capable of producing. The FPS is totally the CPU, RAM, and Graphics card/memory and the F9 toggle that shows your FPS doesn't take the monitor into account when giving a value. Right now in a pre-match drop screen I'm getting FPS values in excess of 200 being reported.

https://www.avadirec...z-refresh-rate/

Edited by Dee Eight, 22 September 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#9 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

View PostHumpday, on 22 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Yes i know the engine is garbage, but I'd like some expectations as this thing is like 2k+ configured.

Thanks

I tried out a laptop with a i7 6700HQ + GTX 1070 1080p G-Sync, and FPS ranged from 75 down into the 30's (was quite disappointed actually)

#10 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

You shouldn't have any problem getting 70+ FPS on max settings on average. Yes there is still lag spikes, because the engine sill has some issues.

#11 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:35 AM

Nice thread..

I have a laptop ACER Aspire E5-774G-370Y NX.GEDEX.048 / Core i3 6006U, 8GB, GeForce GTX 950M, and I'm struggling to get more that 40 FPS.. any way I could pump those numbers up? (cose' they're rookie numbers ;-) ).

I would be happy to get 60 FPS..

#12 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:50 AM

I play with 5-20 fps.I hate this thread,you are all bad people.Global warming is all your fault.

#13 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostMean Machine Angel x, on 25 September 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

I play with 5-20 fps.I hate this thread,you are all bad people.Global warming is all your fault.

Oh daaaaamn.. I'm so sorry... 5-20 fps.. that's not really playing.. that's more like watching images fly by.. I used to have those numbers on my old computer..

I really can't be happy with less than 50 fps.. the 30-40 I get is sometimes really hard to play with..

#14 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostMean Machine Angel x, on 25 September 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

And this is why dynamic and proper ranking systems are actually needed, skill gaps can be pretty big sure, but these kind of physical gaps exist too, which create further need for properly spreading the playerbase out in a "competitive" way. I used to have crap fps like that and it did impact my scores for sure, currently my frames are pretty great but there are server issues causing my usual local ping of 50 to shoot up near 275, and my NA ping rates have jumped from about 260 to 330 or so.

The difference this makes in my output should be measurable enough to move my position in the tier ranking, but instead it just makes my performance in T1 worse than it was but still enough to not lose tier ranking.

#15 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 September 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

And this is why dynamic and proper ranking systems are actually needed, skill gaps can be pretty big sure, but these kind of physical gaps exist too, which create further need for properly spreading the playerbase out in a "competitive" way. I used to have crap fps like that and it did impact my scores for sure, currently my frames are pretty great but there are server issues causing my usual local ping of 50 to shoot up near 275, and my NA ping rates have jumped from about 260 to 330 or so.

The difference this makes in my output should be measurable enough to move my position in the tier ranking, but instead it just makes my performance in T1 worse than it was but still enough to not lose tier ranking.

Thats nonsense, player ranking is limited automatically by the system.
Play poorly, for whatever reason, and it hurts the ranking.

#16 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostHumpday, on 22 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Thanks

Hi There,

I figure I would step in here as an Alienware 17 R4 owner.
I am a half generation behind you so I hope I can give you some idea of what to anticipate.

My Configuration is as follows:

i7-6700K
GTX1060
16GB Ram
256GB M2 SSD
1TB Crucial (added after I bought)
1080P 60Hz Monitor.

So, for myself running max settings I get on average 51 fps for most maps. Alpine usually is higher namely due to lack of terrain compared to maps like Mining Colony. If you get into a huge tangle on MC with lots of mechs I can dip into the mid 40's but usually that is short lived. Its never unplayable, thats for sure.

Given that the processor you've chosen is a bit better than mine, and the GPU is a sizable bit better than mine I would anticipate on 1080p that you'd be flying. At 1440P I am sure might still hit some parts that are sub 60FPS but that should be the exception , not the rule.

Now, onto the person whom quoted below saying it's overpriced junk that dies in 3 years.
There will always be failures (no matter whom makes it). I've seen custom Eurocom's die, I've seen in all in years.
The R4 Generation from Dell is Solld (its my daily Driver, I also have an MSI Prestige with a 1050 in it as my Gaming on the Go device). It has a high capacity for drives (3 M2's and 1 2.5) , 2 x 80mm, 1x40mm, and easy access to them and the RAM.

Cooling in this generation is also top notch. You should never ever throttle unless you put a blanket for this to lay on instead of a table or flat surface.
It also has the ability to customize the colours very well (unlike a lot of gaming models where you only get one color).

Now of course there are downsides as well. I've worked with a plethora of 'Gaming Laptops'. The keyboard is not as crisp and responsive as other models out there. The Track Pad even though it is accurate and of good quality, the software for it can be a bit quirky. It is suppose to detect when it's your hand and palm but that doesn't always work as advertised. So, I just disable it since I have a good mouse already.

If you get the 1080p Monitor (which yours isn't but for the sake of being objective) there is more backlight bleed at times than I've seen on some models (though not as bad as 2 ASUS units I had a year back).

The software to control the lighting, while it is useful can sometimes be frustrating. it takes a little getting used to.

There will always be better and worse out there for your money. For me, I do lots of research, and get some hands on before I give this kind of Money to any company. And its very much been worth it after almost a year of ownership.

My thoughts.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-ST

#17 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

It's frustrating to get double fps in other mp games which have better graphics, more players on screen and much much more going on with explosion and decoration etc. In mwo the maps are devoid of anything except for trees, fog and cars on a few select map. The texturing on the ground and building is alright at best, the eye candy(fluff, objects, particles) mostly none existent. No weather effect except for some fog on a few select map or a snow storm that does look beautiful. Its not the graphics, its the multiplayer part, my fps tank from 120 in training to 37 in multiplayer looking at the ground away from everyone.

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 25 September 2017 - 12:35 AM, said:

Nice thread..

I have a laptop ACER Aspire E5-774G-370Y NX.GEDEX.048 / Core i3 6006U, 8GB, GeForce GTX 950M, and I'm struggling to get more that 40 FPS.. any way I could pump those numbers up? (cose' they're rookie numbers ;-) ).

I would be happy to get 60 FPS..

Is nobody gonna give me a hack/tip to boost my frame rate? :-(

#19 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:09 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 26 September 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

Is nobody gonna give me a hack/tip to boost my frame rate? :-(

nothing you can do

MWO likes high frequency with good IPC, like any modern Intel
and Ryzen does OK in MWO as far as I know

with Intel you notice from 4.5 Ghz onwards how things get better
with AMD everything that's possible, even with a Ryzen

the i3 U you have in that thing doesn't clock higher than 2 Ghz, there is no turbo boost
CPU's are soldered into the board for those things as well

and I don't think the BIOS lets you tweak anything interesting
if this where a desktop I might've suggested a beta BIOS and some BCLK overclocking as that was a thing with the 6th generation
or an upgrade to a K CPU and clocking the sh*t out of it

your stuck bro

View PostDAYLEET, on 25 September 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

It's frustrating to get double fps in other mp games which have better graphics, more players on screen and much much more going on with explosion and decoration etc. In mwo the maps are devoid of anything except for trees, fog and cars on a few select map. The texturing on the ground and building is alright at best, the eye candy(fluff, objects, particles) mostly none existent. No weather effect except for some fog on a few select map or a snow storm that does look beautiful. Its not the graphics, its the multiplayer part, my fps tank from 120 in training to 37 in multiplayer looking at the ground away from everyone.

I thought we all know that

3 things

coding skills
time committed to optimization
engine limits

as Old MW4Ranger always likes to say, other games with CryEngine are running good as well
although there aren't that many great ones

that being said this version of CryEngine ≠ any other version of CryEngine (but again also time commited and skills/experience)

newest versions support DX12 and Vulcan, which takes a load of the CPU and reduces overhead (hint really old dev statement was about draw calls, and those newer API's were meant to handle those a lot better)

however I've come to realize PGI wouldn't be able to utilize those really

DX12 and Vulcan require more dev time to run well, cant see that happening at all

View Postdwwolf, on 25 September 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Play poorly, for whatever reason, and it hurts the ranking.

but not enough really

gaining needs to be tougher and harder
staying where you are should be easy

and loosing should be possible, as opposed to know really
really loosing Tier requires dedication and work
and luck that the team lost

Edited by Peter2k, 26 September 2017 - 03:24 AM.

#20 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:35 AM

and anyone wanting a Laptop for gaming I would always ask if a mini-ATX system wouldn't work as well

those are seriously small
but still as powerful as one wants to
there is even a small form factor GTX 1080 from ZOTAC

Spoiler

and way cheaper than those overclockable gaming Laptops

Edited by Peter2k, 26 September 2017 - 03:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users