120 replies to this topic

#1 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

I am totally confused.

I have been a IS loyalist for the last 2-1/2 years. Nothing but IS mechs in my Mech Bay.

I bought the Hunchback IIC hero as a lark. Figured that the Grid Iron is total crap, so I may as well try a Clan Hero mech to make up for the lackluster Hero Huchie.

After pressure washing the cockpit and hanging up an air freshener to get rid of Clanner stink, decided to take it out for a test run. First match 3 kills. Second match 2 kills. This thing is awesome. I already have 8 SP in 4 matches. Nothing in the IS has been this good....

Now what do I do? This mech is everything that the Grid Iron is not. Am I going to the dark side? Do I need to clone myself and be a vat born?

I'm so conflicted....

Edited by Electroflameageddon, 22 September 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Feels like cheating, doesn't it?

There's a reason a lot of top-level players play Clan. Now, there's good and bad 'mechs on both sides, but the Omnipod system, superior space and weight for Clan weapons and upgrades, and their massively superior XL engines make Clans a superior option, even if you assume rough balance parity for the guns.

The good news is that PGI is still looking at balance numbers; the bad news is that they may be thinking that the Clans' superior performance telemetry is due to veteran players adopting Clantech. This puts the cart before the horse, since Clan technology hasn't been overperforming since release because veteran players (many of whom are long-time fans of the franchise) wanted to play Clans - rather, veteran players have gravitated toward the Clans because the tech is better.

So keep your Inner Sphere 'mechs and have fun with them - but don't be ashamed to pick up Clantech as well. If anything, your playing both tech sets will give PGI better telemetry about how the factions actually perform. =)

#3 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Dont feel bad op, i have done the same thing. Sunday that purple falcon symbol goes becomes a shark symbol. Got a clan deck actually built out in qp, and im doubling my dmg, kills, and kmdds without changing my playstyle much. Its just easier. Try an 8cmpl hunchback2c next, OP AF.

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Well, keep in mind that the Hunchback IIC is a renowned good mech (Not nearly as good as it used to be, as I understand, but still pretty good), while the Grid Iron is an unprecedented wreck they literally gave away for free last year. It's a poor comparison.

But yes, Clan tech is pretty good.

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 22 September 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

Feels like cheating, doesn't it?

lol Yes, and not on the IS,, but because the mech is so darn powerful! I can't believe this thing has not been nerfed. I grabbed one just for the event to get a couple extra rocket girls. I did the event on the 4G, then i tried this thing.. Wow does this thing pump out the damage.

No wonder i see these mechs with top scores all the time.

View PostBombast, on 22 September 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well, keep in mind that the Hunchback IIC is a renowned good mech (Not nearly as good as it used to be, as I understand, but still pretty good), while the Grid Iron is an unprecedented wreck they literally gave away for free last year. It's a poor comparison.

But yes, Clan tech is pretty good.

They have given away many good mechs,, the GI is decent, just not OP

#6 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 September 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

They have given away many good mechs,, the GI is decent, just not OP

One of the few last words you'd use to describe GI is 'decent'.

#7 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

Clantech just makes everything easier. I keep my Kit Foxes, Mist Lynx and my Cougars, even if the smell, just because sometimes I need a solid win streak.

I don't regret paying MC for my GI(even if I still haven't found a use for that one missile point and I have always run it just like a 4G)

#8 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

PGI was too stubborn and stuck to lore where Clan mechs are unarguably superior. Now that they're supposed to be balanced 1:1, most IS mechs just can't get by without quirks, and we're stuck with the infamous dartboard.... GG close.

Edited by adamts01, 22 September 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#9 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

Join the Dark Side, we have cookies!

#10 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

I too was a pure IS side player for quite a while. I finally started picking up a few clan mechs to better understand what I was facing.

It was ridiculous how much easier I found the clan mechs. In a typical match I was getting better damage numbers, better kill numbers, and had a longer survival time (for those times when I was killed). This has held true across pretty much all weight classes (not lights, but that probably would have been the same had I been willing to pick up an ACH).
I've tried multiple styles (brawl, snipe, mid, etc.) and found clans to work better.

The clans may have fewer weapons. They clearly don't need them.
They may have more fragile components, but that doesn't matter if they kill the enemy that much quicker.
Omni's might not have the variety that battle's do, but it doesn't seem to actually hurt them. (Especially if folks aren't swapping modules, which is kinda the whole point of an omni, but whatever)

Your mileage may vary, but for me I find the clans perform vastly better.

When it comes to FW, I'm still an IS player, because I have enough RP/lore in me to care more for a few of the IS factions, while I find the clans mostly have distasteful attitudes to varying degrees. If I didn't have that, I'd be clan all the way.
Thankfully, in QP/GP, I can just play a mix.

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:50 PM

Here's the real punchline: Deathwish is the weakest variant of that chassis. The HBK-IIC is still one of the best 'Mechs in the game.

View Poststealthraccoon, on 22 September 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

I don't regret paying MC for my GI(even if I still haven't found a use for that one missile point and I have always run it just like a 4G)

With LFE bringing the tonnage of AC20 builds down, sticking a rocket launcher on the GI's missile slot is a viable option. At least, I'm finding that to be a better use for it than an SRM4 or SRM6 that I'd have to give up my big gun for.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 22 September 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#12 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 22 September 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

Here's the real punchline: Deathwish is the weakest variant of that chassis. The HBK-IIC is still one of the best 'Mechs in the game..

Yeah, go buy a regular HBK IIC, or the IIC A. Have some real fun.

#13 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

you should be amazing at piloting a MKII

#14 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

Oh boy wait until you try out some of the better Clan assults.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

I play mostly is. Clan runs too dam hot even when I sink a lot into cool run and heat containment, that and the longer duration annoys me. I have the tbr, an adr, and few novas but they hardly see use. I'm not a fan of the burst fire acs,the high risk of uac jamming on a much needed kill or be kill shot, or the streaming clan lrms. IS volley has a far better chance at getting past ams/lams.

I agree with the op that the grid iron is pretty meh although the one missile point does let you do some weird builds for the novelty factor.

#16 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:25 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 22 September 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

I play mostly is. Clan runs too dam hot even when I sink a lot into cool run and heat containment

Then you're sticking way more firepower on your Clan mechs than IS. With comparable levels of firepower, Clans usually run cooler because of how much more DHS that can cram into their mechs.

#17 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:34 AM

Well op, if you think hero is op then try this one.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e982c6668a95ad7

or this one
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b50a759b3967f3

View PostJediPanther, on 22 September 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

I play mostly is. Clan runs too dam hot even

No, clans run cooler even with superior amount of firepower.

Only exception are chassis with ungodly amount of quirks.

compare that 6 mplas build to is equivalent
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44aa0cff5bf7cf7
nowhere near close as heat efficient.

Edited by davoodoo, 23 September 2017 - 01:40 AM.

#18 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:37 AM

This is a game, not an actual war, thankfully. No need to feel conflicted; just drop the role play and run whatever Mech you like. MWO really isn't the sort of game that makes for a good role playing experience in the first place.

Edited by Luminis, 23 September 2017 - 01:38 AM.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:43 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 23 September 2017 - 01:34 AM, said:

No, clans run cooler even with superior amount of firepower.

Only exception are chassis with ungodly amount of quirks.

This is correct. Las-vomit Clan mechs tend to have 1/3 more external DHS than that of las-vomit IS mechs--thanks to CXL > LFE, and 2 slot CDHS > 3 slot IS DHS. Which means Clans can run just as cool as IS, while having bigger alphas. The gap has widened more recently thanks to heat containment skill now factoring in heatsinks.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 September 2017 - 03:50 AM.

#20 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users