Dire Wolf B Or S

8 replies to this topic

#1 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:44 AM

I'm going to pick up a Dire wolf during the sale and was wondering which one is better, or does it matter since they are omnimechs?

Already have KDK-3, MAL-MX90, and King Crab.

#2 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Depends on what you're looking for. The B is much more ballistic oriented and is better at range where the S is configured for brutal close range combat. I believe the S also has jump jets, but those are mostly for help you get over small, uneven terrain rather than actually jumping on top of things.

In short, get the B if you like to fight at range and the S for brawling. Stock loadout on the S is solid, the B you'll have to adjust to your preferences.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

W, get the W. Dire Wolf S has a locked in jump jet in the CT that weighs 2 tons and cannot be removed. The Dire Wolf, even with its max of 3 jump jets really can't jump much at all, its terrible at it and those jump jets are just a waste of tonnage that can't be removed.

W gets 2 energy slots in the CT, no other Dire Wolf has that many there. You can swap the side torso, arms, legs, and head out to any other variant of Dire Wolf, so only the CT matters when picking an omnimech unless you're planning to never swap the pods so you keep some set of 8 quirks that usually aren't worth it.

#4 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 23 September 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

W, get the W. Dire Wolf S has a locked in jump jet in the CT that weighs 2 tons and cannot be removed. The Dire Wolf, even with its max of 3 jump jets really can't jump much at all, its terrible at it and those jump jets are just a waste of tonnage that can't be removed.

W gets 2 energy slots in the CT, no other Dire Wolf has that many there. You can swap the side torso, arms, legs, and head out to any other variant of Dire Wolf, so only the CT matters when picking an omnimech unless you're planning to never swap the pods so you keep some set of 8 quirks that usually aren't worth it.

If he's new, adjusting that mech a pod at a time is extremely costly. I'd stick with a stock build closest to what you like and what you will modify in terms of being efficient.

#5 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

Dire W is not on sale. One extra energy hardpoint, in a CT with only 2 slots free does not seem that big a deal.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 23 September 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

If he's new, adjusting that mech a pod at a time is extremely costly. I'd stick with a stock build closest to what you like and what you will modify in terms of being efficient.

When you're new you get that cadet bonus, it shouldn't be too hard to swap some omnipods, way cheaper than just buying the DHS and endo upgrades for an IS mech. If money is an issue, he definitely shouldn't cripple his pay by running near stock builds.

View PostKeltan, on 23 September 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Dire W is not on sale. One extra energy hardpoint, in a CT with only 2 slots free does not seem that big a deal.

Didn't know it was on sale, just suggesting the one that is marginally better than all the other options. If he's picking between just the S or the B, definitely get the B.

#7 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 24 September 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

When you're new you get that cadet bonus, it shouldn't be too hard to swap some omnipods, way cheaper than just buying the DHS and endo upgrades for an IS mech. If money is an issue, he definitely shouldn't cripple his pay by running near stock builds.

He's clearly past his cadet bonus, looking at assault mechs, and looking for guidance. He's likely also relatively new and still trying to identify what works for him. Have you ever tried the Dire Wolf S? That mech only needs slight adjustments to help its heat management, but is incredibly brutal in it's stock form, even if it doesn't suit every play style.

#8 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

I'm not new, just don't play that much and also took about four months off last winter and spring. The Dire Wolf is on sale, so I figured I'd pick one up and wanted some discussion on the pro's and cons of each model.

Looking at the stock loadouts, the B has weapons that work for every range, which I like. The ER-PPC can be traded out for ER Large Lasers and take more ammo and heat sinks. I already have the lasers sitting around on mechs I don't have time to play, so it won't be a large expense.

#9 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Only dire worth getting (unless you really want to use a set-8 quirk bonus), is the W with its 3 CT energy slots (none of the other models have any useful CT hardpoints). You can do most builds on any variant (its an omni), but the CT/DH energys are well worth it on the W

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users