We Need Better Ingame Tutorials

6 replies to this topic

#1 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:11 AM

Mech academy is hidden away as just another button in the main menu and doesn't explain basic things like keeping the size & mounts of your mech in mind when shooting around 'corners' and how the game modes are played.

We would need to have at least the following tutorials:
- sensors: goes into sensor range, target locks, paperdoll information and what the symbols above your teammates heads mean
- weapons & heat: gives you a mech with a mixed loadout and lets you shoot a few targets on a shooting range, going over weapon ranges, heat generation and dissipation and firing groups.
- movement/mobillity: gives you a mech with jump jets and has you run an obstacle course, goes into the speed differences between different mech classes
- electronic warfare: ecm, bap, tag, narc - e.g. you get a mech with ecm and need to light up some targets for friendly LRMs
- [game mode]: a tutorial which explains the objective of a game mode, how the different entities work (e.g. stand on cap points) and a bit of basic tactics, e.g. conquest - lights cap, everyone else goes for theta

Edited by Exilyth, 23 September 2017 - 06:37 AM.

#2 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

Yeah it does. The tutorial is a flat out failure on how to teach players how to play the actual game modes,heat management, No info on command wheel, how to counter ecm or they fact you do have heat and night vision modes.

Only thing it is good for is learning the basic ui and what all those things are along with stock load out of the mech they put you in. They don't even teach effective range of weapons, how you need lock and keep lock on target for lrms. The subforum for mech academy is usually a ghost town. The only real reason some one would do it is for the one time c-bill rewards which is nice to get you a few weapons or save for a mech.

#3 C4NC3R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

we need Tutorial about MINIMAP cause... most of the players I see is... at least not verry smart)))

#4 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

The best tutorial I think would be a super simple 4v4 Beginners Vs. AI map. Make it mandatory 3 rounds for new players and then allow it in private matches so old players can help new players later if they want to. This would do a ton to help them get the feel for things, even if the AI is pretty stupid.

#5 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

the tutorial should drop recruits into the VIP atlas Posted Image

#6 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:15 AM

There is a lot of information that is only available at the forums - which the potatos do not tend to visit.

Better tutorials would go a long way towards increasing the new player experience.

#7 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostGorantir, on 23 September 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

the tutorial should drop recruits into the VIP atlas Posted Image

I would really hope the drop would have the vip atlas restricted heavily...or you'd never get that fat ****** to the extract....or you'd have a TON of blue on blue due to the "I wonder what happens when i do this?" reflex.
I'd watch this happen though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users