Thanks For Playing

35 replies to this topic

#1 FearThePaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

I love to use GG for every match. There lately have been a lot of rolls where its 12 -0 or 12 - 2 etc. In this game a roll happens quickly once you are down 3 or 4 mechs any good team will push and its over.

One time I was playing got rolled and someone said "GG" and someone else replied that it was not. Its kind of rude but at the same time so true. No one likes to get rolled.

A while later on another roll someone said "Thanks for PLaying". I like it...

I started using that and now on the occasional roll I will say TFP. I do not know if anyone knows what I am saying and with the F in their I hope no one thinks its salty language.

So any way, I wanted to post this so that if you happen to roll someone maybe you will consider the TFP or something like that instead of GG.

We all know how a roll feels.

Best of luck, unless you are opposing me
Paladin

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

I prefer to type BLNT (better luck next time) to my rolled opponents. :P

#3 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

It's actually a scale of match quality:

vgg - very good game
gg - good game
ok - neither good not bad
bg - bad game
vbg - very bad game

And then there's 'gg close' which can be used unironically on a 11-12 or ironically on a steamroll.

Contrast with
wp reds - well played red team
which aknowledges a good performance of the enemy team without containing any explicit notion about the performance of the own team.

Ofc, the above can appear in any combination.

Edited by Exilyth, 23 September 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#4 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

I'll just keeping 'gg' as my go to for the end game 'handshake,' with a 'Well played, Red' kicker if the match was close/well fought, and more specific comments when I notice particular things that are noteworthy (Like when Lights seriously impact my team).

#5 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

I generally just <.o. and depending on the match add a "GG" or "well fought" if it was good. Git Gud is nothing that I would say, so I try to make sure it's not interpreted that way.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

TFP

#7 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

for me i can get a GG with losing or winning 12-2 or even 12-0,
but for me i dont gauge how good a game was based on the final score, but how i felt playing it,

if im playing in a match and happen across another mech and its a good long fight,
both of us are trading and twisting, picking each other appart, till only one Champion is standing,
win or lose, that was a good Fight, and ill post to him GG as i enjoyed the fight immensely,
even if we lost 0-12 ill still post GG, even if we won 12-0 ill still post GG,

for me its more about the fight, and the close battles,
instances that cause you to lean in closer to the screen, to death grip your mouse,
when your too much immersed in the fight and the battle to even care whats going on out side,
its these moments that people talk about the stories that are spread on cool fights and close calls,
its these fights that people remember and even tell their friends when out of the game,

i play for the Fun, for the Fight, and for the Experience of battle, not for the Score,
(but on account of GG and People thinking your Trolling? use GF(Good Fight) that helps some)

ask your self:
would you rather have a Great Match where you had lots of Fun, even if you got a Low Score?
or would you rather have a amazingly High score in a Match that wasnt Fun for you to Play?

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 23 September 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#8 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

I'm just going to stick to saying GG when it is actually a good game, or really when its a very good game. Never been one to say it otherwise since I don't see the reason for it. Maybe use it or use this at the end of organized games like comp or scrims.

#9 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

I'm fairly easy-going and like to acknowledge my opponents at the end of a match. For the reasons stated above, I've gotten away from gg, because it can be taken the wrong way under the wrong circumstances. I looked for an alternative that I could use after every game, regardless the outcome.

For a long time I've been using 'ty4g'... Thank you for game. Quick to type, fairly obvious on first read and less offensive, regardless the outcome of the match. The whole time I've used it, I've only received one angry response, coming after a 12-7 win.

#10 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

i say GG when I know my team will lose even before they do.

#11 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostExilyth, on 23 September 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

wp reds - well played red team
which aknowledges a good performance of the enemy team without containing any explicit notion about the performance of the own team.

and keeps poor little butthurt from exploding over coms. Learn to lose with good grace, even when embarassed be big enough.

Edited by Burke IV, 23 September 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

SL&TfAtF

#13 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Back when gg close started becoming an issue, I started ending the match with TFTM (Thanks For The Match) win or lose. Now I don't say anything because people are still just rude.

#14 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Generally Ill just say GG in teamchat only if we won, especially if its a landslide, and only reply gg if someone from the losong team says it. If we lost, I will try to say GG first just to show that theres no hard feelings. It makes most sense to me that way.

And then of course you have to realize that it doesnt matter anyways and you shouldnt get offended over anything like that anyways ^^

#15 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts
  • LocationHPG LXXIII-omega

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 September 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

I prefer to type BLuNT (better luck next time) to my rolled opponents. Posted Image

Fixed Posted Image

#16 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

GG Close caused much salt and table flipping rage back in the day.

I save my GGs for truly good games.

#17 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostFearThePaladin, on 23 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Going to presume you are being sincere here.

However some players are not. Some use GG as a means of insulting people on the opposing team, their own or both. So what you look at and may think is decency might actually be a condescension from them.

That is why I only use GG or similar for closer games, other times I tried to say nothing.

TFP would be used the same way by the same players.

#18 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

This topic comes up time and time again.

The problem with GG is that it can mean a whole hell of all of things.

1. Good Game - Player actually means he had an enjoyable game and respects the team his team defeated.

2. Good Game - Player actually means it but only because he had an exceptional duel with another play but otherwise the game sucked and was unremarkable.

3. Good Game - Player actually means he had an enjoyable game because it was a STOMP and he gets off on that.

4. Get Good - Player is actually insulting the team his team just STOMPED telling them to L2P.

5. GG - Because your supposed to acknowledge the other team even if the game sucked.

I am sure there is a several other things GG could mean as well. Also the meaning changes depending on how the losing player interprets it. For example, a person can sincerely mean "Good Game" but the defeated player got his butt handed too him by LRMs early in the match and for him the game sucked. Therefore he interprets it as "Get Good".

Point is GG is too ambiguous and used too often and honestly any time GG pops up in anything but close match, it still feels insincere if not downright insulting. I personally never use GG.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 23 September 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

I turned off all chat long ago.. Not sure how all chat is these days, but for a while the trolling was pretty bad. made it hard to read my team chat and i don't need to listen random stuff during the match.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

Over the past few months I've been doing a little experiment where I count the number of GGs in public chat from each team (winning and losing) and store the results in an Excel spreadsheet. Teamchat GGs are omited because I can't see both teamchats at the same time (IDK what the enemy is saying so it's only fair).

For Overwatch, I currently have 442 winner GGs and 161 loser GGs. This is a ratio of 2.75, meaning that for every one time somebody on the losing team says GG, you'll get almost three people that say GG on the winning team.

For MWO, my sample size is much smaller for now. I only have 57 winner GGs and 20 loser GGs, for a ratio of 2.85.

So TL;DR, people aren't being as "sporty" as they say they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users