Clan Ballistics Challenge

47 replies to this topic

#1 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

I just think it's funny that the hardest challenge of the Clan aspect of the ballistics challenge is the incompetent AC family. 1000 damage with the more versatile LBX20/UAC20 but 2000 with the C-AC20, even though it's a completely more garbagier weapon than even the garbage C-UAC20.
No wonder PGI deigned to throw the more desired cockpit item of the event ,therocket girl, on the crappiest and admittedly defunk weapon system of Clan weapons.

Just a thought. And no I'm not posting over being able to get it done, just despairing over having to use them. Hopefully PGI is actually getting some viable metrics on the weapons systems and their perspective performance out of this. Hopefully right?....

On the flipside, enjoying most of my IS challenge except using that jenky Light Gauss rifle.

Edited by JackalBeast, 23 September 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#2 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

It took 2 matches to get done, so not really a hardship.

#3 Anhydrite

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

I had a 900 damage match in my shadowcat with an AC10 and 2 med lasers. Best match ever in that mech and it normally has a UAC10

#4 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

You might be using suboptimal weapons, but so will some of your enemies.

#5 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostKing Alen, on 23 September 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

See that's the kind of comment I was trying to avoid, as I posted the thread as an observation on the way the ballistics event is structured; making the score requirement double that of the two more effective 20 class weapons in the Clan arsenal. The other two 20 series weapons should have a higher score requirement than the AC20 since it is easier to achieve with them.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

CAC20 challenge done in 2 matches? That sounds highly implausible--unless both sides agreed to farm damages.

#7 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Actually just thought about it and call bs on that claim. You did 1,000 damage per match in a row with the C-AC20? Not saying it's not possible but that's pretty stellar otherwise. For your average player that would definitely not be very feasible to accomplish.
You must be truly skilled.

#8 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

He has a point about he normal AC's... these should be made into single-slug versions especially now that IS has a complete set of UAC's and LBX's and Clans have little in the way of single-slug weapons. This would finally allow PGI to live up to the 'ammo-switching' promise they made when Clan LBX's were first introduced. I cannot imagine this would be difficult to implement and be an immediate improvement to what is otherwise a marginally-useless weapon category.

Edited by Charles Sennet, 23 September 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#9 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 23 September 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Actually just thought about it and call bs on that claim. You did 1,000 damage per match in a row with the C-AC20? Not saying it's not possible but that's pretty stellar otherwise. For your average player that would definitely not be very feasible to accomplish.
You must be truly skilled.

Not saying it was common, average player should be able to get it done in 4-6 matches

#10 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostKing Alen, on 23 September 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Not saying it was common, average player should be able to get it done in 4-6 matches

Oh my bad, thought it was some IS knee jerk reaction to a valid complaint about a Clan weapon.

#11 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 23 September 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

Oh my bad, thought it was some IS knee jerk reaction to a valid complaint about a Clan weapon.

Yea I dont complain much, Clan Gauss took the longest for me ( 5 matches) had a few bad matches.

#12 Anhydrite

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

I agree the Clan ACs should be made single slug to match IS. Its pointless to run a Reg AC on clan side the way it is now. If not make it lighter at least.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

View PostAnhydrite, on 23 September 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

I agree the Clan ACs should be made single slug to match IS. Its pointless to run a Reg AC on clan side the way it is now. If not make it lighter at least.

It's already 2-3 tons lighter than the Inner Sphere counterparts, but half as capable as the marginal C-UAC20.

I'd say shorten the burst from 4 shells to 2 or 3, then it would be on or about same footing as the C-UAC20 at least.

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

CACs should fire single slugs. But they should have higher heat and longer cooldown than ISACs to make up for weighing less and having better range.

Clan ballistics should also get less ammo per ton than IS ballistics to force clan mechs to take more ammo and help make up the tonnage/crit disparity.

Edited by Khobai, 23 September 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

honestly, since they are a "fake" weapon created as a placeholder that became a permanent sign of programming ineptitude....

They really need to just go away. They are literally worse than any other Clan Ballistics. OK.. they don't jam. Learn how to count out a cooldown and your UAC will never jam either.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

honestly, since they are a "fake" weapon created as a placeholder that became a permanent sign of programming ineptitude....

theyre not a fake weapon though. theyre supposed to exist as the secondary fire mode of the CLBX weapons.

They shouldnt go away because theyre supposed to exist. Its better to have them as a seperate weapon than not have them at all.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostKhobai, on 23 September 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

theyre not a fake weapon though. theyre supposed to exist as the secondary fire mode of the CLBX weapons.

They shouldnt go away because theyre supposed to exist. Its better to have them as a seperate weapon than not have them at all.

And what remote purpose do they serve? Again.. they are bulkier UACs that can't double tap. I suppose inept people who don't understand trigger discipline might find a use for them.

#18 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

And what remote purpose do they serve? Again.. they are bulkier UACs that can't double tap. I suppose inept people who don't understand trigger discipline might find a use for them.

Well obviously youd have to balance them against CUACs so they have a purpose. Thats a given.

give them:
1) better range and velocity than CUACs
2) make them fire single slugs instead of bursts
3) less heat per shot than CUACs
4) better ammo per ton than CUACs
5) more lax ghost heat restrictions than CUACs

But having more weapon options is better than having less weapon options. Especially since gauss is the only ballistic PPFLD Clans have and also the fact that Clans have way less weapon options than IS right now.

Edited by Khobai, 23 September 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#19 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Forget making CACs single-slug to match IS standard ACs... make them single-slug to match the freaking CLBX. Right now CAC is the functional equivalent of loading a 12ga shotgun with slugs and having it magically fire a three-round burst of 5.56mm. The inconsistency bothers me more than any potential imbalance would.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 23 September 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Forget making CACs single-slug to match IS standard ACs... make them single-slug to match the freaking CLBX. Right now CAC is the functional equivalent of loading a 12ga shotgun with slugs and having it magically fire a three-round burst of 5.56mm. The inconsistency bothers me more than any potential imbalance would.

so make it superior to IS ACs in every way... that sounds like a good balancing idea....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users