Automatically Kick After A Team Kill.

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Automatically Kick after full TK. (130 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this a reasonable suggestion?

1. Yes. (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No. (82 votes [63.08%])

Percentage of vote: 63.08%

3. Suck it up and eat some bacon. (22 votes [16.92%])

Percentage of vote: 16.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Valas

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

I just recently came back after not playing much for a year or so and it seems one thing has not changed at all. The Team Killing by guys in trial mechs, particularly Assaults and Heavies, is still rampant in many matches. I get you can accidentally damage or possibly even kill an already badly damaged team mate with poorly timed or controlled fire.

But NO team, should have to deal with one guy in a trial Kodiak and killing 4-5 players on the team, and pretty much ruining the chance for that team to even really play their match. Just in the passed couple of days, have seen multiple instances of this. Yes, they get blocked from relaunching right away, and you can report them, etc. But it's still just a time out for what is often a new account created for the sole purpose of grief play.

In some other games, intentionally Team Killing someone will instantly boot you from the match. IE causing most or all of the damage to cause that kill. Not just a small amount.

This would save at least some ability for a team to keep fighting, as being down 2 Mechs isn't nearly as bad as being down 4 or more like I have seen happening. Or like the very last match I played, there was one on both sides. Their side ended up killing their TK, and left them with several damaged mechs, our side, he killed 5 friendly mechs, before someone on the enemy team bagged him.

I have seen something similar suggested, but when I did a forum search, I could not find the post.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

Accidental tks do happen, so a limit of 2 team kills would be better.

For kicking for damage, the game would need to differentiate between collision damage and weapon damage.
(Might actually be a good idea too - might stop people from shooting teammates backs)

#3 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

I voted "yes", but here are some things that might make sure accidental TKs don't get you booted:

- It should be like Exilyth says after the second TK.
- The first TK get's a player kicked when there was no damage done to enemy mechs.
- A player gets kicked that does damage to a teammate over some time (like over 5 or 10 seconds) and TKs that player.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Team killing has never been rampant in my matches. Or any of my guild's matches. Or the matches of anyone I've talked to. What tier are you in?

In any case a better solution is simply to use the in-game report function.

#5 Valas

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 23 September 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Team killing has never been rampant in my matches. Or any of my guild's matches. Or the matches of anyone I've talked to. What tier are you in?

In any case a better solution is simply to use the in-game report function.

Rank 5, at least half the matches I have had this week have had TK's on at least one team. I've probably been away longer than a year or so, because I honestly don't even remember a ranking the last time I played consistently. Reporting a player after he's killed multiple friendlies, doesn't stop him from ruining a match. I've seen teams come back from a 2 mech deficit quite easily. Being 4+ mechs down, makes it much harder to stop the steamroller.

I get the reporting system, the penalty system. What I am talking about is, a team should not have to suffer through a guy killing 4 or more team members, when the game could in theory, stop it after the first one. It clearly tracks team damage already. I've accidentally nicked people with shots, ran into players at high speeds, and once had a guy walk through an SRM volley as I fired. Took a 4 minute penalty for that one I think. What I am talking about, is if a player for example, right out of the gate, starts killing team mates. Doing 100% of the damage required to kill a mech. It should shut it down after the first full 100% damage team kill.

I am guessing and hoping, this is not a common thing at higher tiers, because they aren't likely seeing brand new accounts, using trial mechs for grief play. Doesn't the MM attempt to match same tiers or a range of tiers together, before it just lumps everyone in? Depending on the number of players in the quickplay queue?

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

Ick. I suspected as much - and no it's unheard-of at higher tiers. I'm Tier 2, meaning I can be matched with tiers 4 through 1 (though not all at once,) and I cannot remember the last time I saw team killing - I think it was before the tier system, or maybe around the time of the Steam launch (there's a small population of trolls who are inconsolably angry with PGI and will do anything, no matter how dishonest and low, to damage the game. They got the subject of MWO banned from the Star Citizen forums, and engaged in a hilariously ineffective campaign of misinformation through fraudulent reviews of the Steam release. It may well be that they're creating trial accounts to troll by teamkills until banned.)

Still, whether or not a team-kill kick is a good idea depends on how prevalent the practice is in the game overall. If they're loading up on trial 'mechs, it means they probably don't have real 'mechs of their own, and they're just making a throwaway account to troll you. A penalty may help that if the practice becomes widespread, but we don't have the demographic data set to determine that. Keep using the report feature, focus on good gameplay, and send supplementary feedback emails to Support if it keeps on being bad - especially if you see the same or similar names come up.

#7 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:38 AM

Another idea: An option to vote in game to kick the player. One player in a team opens the vote, and if 3/4 (or all 11) of the team vote "kick him" the player get's the boot.

#8 A Baoa Qu

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

This is a Tier 5 phenomenon. Griefers doing it for lulz or bittervets who feel terribly injured by some balance update are behind these things. Some people also form virtual gangs who rove around games trying to ruin them as hard as they can.

It can also go further than mere rage or griefing; it can be an effort at manipulating the devs into implementing features that could be either beneficial or harmful to the game. An automatic kick from a TK would be a harmful feature, as most cases of TK happen by accident. I've done a couple of TK's in my games with 1 point of friendly damage caused, like when someone almost dead has decided to walk into my LRM stream or collided with my moving mech.

#9 IshanDeston

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

Urm, no.

While i only have one or two TKs in my MWO time, the ones i have were accidents. A single point of damage is enough to kill someone if they have been badly damaged previously already.

I am not saying that people shouldn't be more careful, but every now and then accidents happen and team damage cannot be avoided. I rarely have a game in which i don't do 1-5 points of team damage for whatever reason, despite actively trying my best not to hit teammates. It happens.. sometimes someone steps into your lasers, or in front of your missiles or you misjudge the low mounted hardpoint...

I'd much rather would want to see a mechanic like World of Warships has it... do a certain amount of Team damage and every subsequent Team damage is reflected back on you. Set the amount to 30 damage... that is not enough to kill your teammates, and will not bother anyone. And maybe have the people's name colored in red or orange, so people know to be weary.

#10 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

A spray of lmg on a red cored mech do a team kill... how many time i got sprayed from one of the team light in a melee and didn't die... but sometime it's enough to kill a player. Or when someone shoot 4 srm6 on an enemy and he die and the shot pass trough and kill you...Or the wide arm of your ebon jaguar just shot ur ally beside you...

You know s**t happen. Killed a couple of ally with that kind of shot, got killed a few time too and my reaction was, ''got me man ! was cored dead anyway no problem ! ''. Normally i look the amount of team damage to see how it happened, and most of the time it is lower than 10 damage... and my favorites weapon are lb20x or uac20...

A teamkill is when a moron shot an ally at the beginning to test his weapon just because he's stupid...that is bad. Seen that maybe 2 or 3 times and also two moron arguing because of half a point of leg damage at the beginning of the game...

Edited by Damnedtroll, 24 September 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#11 Odin Gunterson

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLa Florida

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

I had a whole weekend with such asses stomping our tier 5 games. Something needs to be done. I even spent all my reporting tickets. I had to plea to other players to do it instead of just complain in game chat and stop this nonsense.

#12 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

I say 'No' because there is no way TK-ing is as bad as the troll account days in open beta, and second I am still hoping for the day we have a Bounty Hunter system implemented where TK-ing a single player is more of a role we earn and choose than anything else

( https://mwomercs.com...implementation/ )

#13 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostRick T Dangerous, on 24 September 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

Another idea: An option to vote in game to kick the player. One player in a team opens the vote, and if 3/4 (or all 11) of the team vote "kick him" the player get's the boot.

Can be abused by larger units when someone they don't like just happens to get a match with them.

#14 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

How about this. A reward for those of us who don't do Team Kills. Say a couple million C-Bills, a cool cockpit item, and a day of premium time. Call it reverse punishment.Posted Image

#15 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

One teamkill? NO, don''t kick.
Accidents happen. Especially when it's Bobby McNoob is his first Locust running in front of your double RAC5's.

Two teamkills? YES, kick!
The chances of one accidental TK are reasonable, but TWO IN THE SAME MATCH?! No way... Kick that griefer.

#16 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:16 AM

If you do a KMDD on a teamkill... you can get kicked ?

#17 Vidarion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

While it sounds "good", accidents happen. 1 misplaced / mistimed arty strike can easily cause multiple TKs. And then there are the trolls that don't kill, but just do massive amounts of team damage.

Yes, it's annoying have someone on your team deliberately TK, but it's a game. Report them. The chances of them being in your next drop are slim anyway due to the drop time penalty and, if they do it enough, they get banned anyway.

Sadly, the best option is to report the TKer and move on to the next match.

#18 Guffrus

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:28 AM

I have literally played thousands of matches and never, ever seen 4-5 team kills. This is not a 'rampant problem'.

Maybe this happens exclusively on american servers?

If you are having this problem on eu servers i would have to conclude that you are either hypersensitive to the issue and suffering from confirmation bias or you are the common factor causing the problem.

#19 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostGuffrus, on 11 February 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

I have literally played thousands of matches and never, ever seen 4-5 team kills. This is not a 'rampant problem'.
Maybe this happens exclusively on american servers?

Its happening exclusive in T5 matches because of a team of trolls with seemingly infinite alt-accounts. 2-4 of them drop in a match and kill 1-3 teammates each before they get taken out.

#20 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:29 AM

Accidental team kills happen and will continue until people stop wandering in front of teammates firing lines because they are more worried about personal states and kill securing than teamwork and coordination.

With the high popularity of Guass rifles and Laser Vomit Alpha the consequences of this are getting really bad. I open up with a 70 point laser alpha and a teammate walks into it they might die... that isn't on me That is on them. I'm zoomed in, Charging my Gauss line up the shot release and a teammate cuts my LOS as i fire that's on them not me. I'm Laying into a target with a Multi-RAC face time build and a teammate wanders into my line of fire... well hell i don't really feel the need to stop shooting quickly there that is totally on them.,.. it's not like that stream of bullets is invisible. So that's just talking about stupid mech driving causing team damage and accidental death.

The other thing that happens occasionally is Over spray with SRM, MRM, RAC, MG's in the late game when people are opened up and soft overspray happens in a melee ball. It's unfortunate but people do miss shots or get unlucky and bad stuff happens.

The bottom line is that most team kills are truly accidental and if you find your self getting Tk'd a lot the problem is probably you playing selfishly or blindly wandering into friendly fire. Creating an automatic mechanic to boot someone instantly for something that most happens my accident is not a great idea.

Edited by Agent of Change, 21 June 2018 - 05:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users