• The Nightmare
  • 57 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationthe homeworld of a race of fuzzy raptors

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

Around 2-3 minutes into live matches, the client periodically drops from its average of around 25 fps to 5 fps, rendering the game absolutely unplayable. This lasts for about half a minute and occurs regardless of combat, pings, weapons, etc. It started happening for me around the release of the Clan Heroes II patch.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Sounds like a memory problem or a loading problem to me.
Could you give us your sys specs?

And do I get this right ?
You have 25 frames standart ?
Isn't that already unplayable ?

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

With that low of FPS to start with, several factors could be involved but need more information about your system.

Can of compressed air and blow out heatsinks. Exceeding a specific heat threshold will cause the CPU and/or GPU to throttle itself.

Windows updates, especially Windows 10, by default also updates drivers which can cause its own issues.

#4 Jiroku the Utahraptor

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

At this point I believe it's a disk issue. pagefile.sys begins reading and writing millions of bytes, roughly corresponding with the drop. It really only seems to affect MWO, however, and I've not tested whether it actually occurs with other games. A similar spike, I believe by the same file, occurred while MWO was not running, I know that much.

Computer Model: TOSHIBA Qosmio X775

Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz

Memory: ~8GB RAM

Direct X 12

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Disk Drive: Seagate ST95005620AS (Solid State Hybrid according to Newegg)

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

https://www.technipa...able-superfetch

Also exclude MWO directory and C:\Users\windows user namel\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online from active antivirus scanning.

#6 Jiroku the Utahraptor

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

I'll try those last two methods this Saturday after taking the PSAT.

I don't have a can of compressed air, and it'd be a bit of a hassle to get my dad to purchase one (yes I'm a dependent, 16 years of age), so I'll simply see how hot it's running; that alone should determine whether overheat throttling is an issue.

I did notice that it seemed like multiple processes of Google Chrome were running; I almost always have it open when playing any game, but made sure there was only one instance of it on all my desktops. I have no idea why multiple Chrome processes would be appearing in resource monitor, and they don't take up a lot of energy but can add up if left alone (though still not nearly as bad as the crap that pagefile.sys has pulled).

I attempted to use Razer Cortex to boost the game, but it only stopped a few processes by default and ultimately had no effect on my experience. Truth is, there's not a lot of extra stuff that I'm running to begin with. I don't even want to get started on what Windows 10 could be screwing up, but my gut tells me that that's not the origin of the issue, as I don't think I've had any major 10 updates for a while.

I'm aware the GTX 560M is an outdated card and not ideal for running a barely-optimized CryEngine game, but you think it would at least be able to run semi-decently. It has been (at least in my book, cuz I'm used to games running under 30fps) up until this stupid presumably disk-write issue popped up. The biggest mystery at this point is whether it's a game-triggered issue or a PC issue.

Asriel "About to Chaos Buster This Potato" Dreemur

PS: I don't think it's necessarily exclusive to live matches. It seems to happen most when I play online though: in training grounds it didn't occur at all, though maybe this is just coincedence. I think it happened in the MechLab a couple times, though it's been weeks since I last played. The same day I ditched MWO for an old Doom engine FPS by the name of Hexen (which you should try out by the way). In short, it should be an easy game to run, and sure enough it was. I was constant 60 fps or so, and experienced no such interruptions, though again it could be coincedence as I didn't test all that much. I will reiterate that I believe it's a problem that occurs regardless of what my computer is running, but seems to affect MWO the most.

Edited by Asriel Dreemur, 10 October 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

if you see the pagefile going hard, its generally a sign that you've run out of actual memory ... and things get stored there in place of actual memory ... and it works, but could literally be 100x slower ... especially if the pagefile isn't on its own disk ( it never is, because that's crazy ) ... unfortunately the base code for MWO is old, and isn't getting any better ... you can tweak things around ... but MWO tends to demand a higher system, than it should ... and theres no shortage of weird behaviours rarely seen ... unless you didn't buy the same CPU's as the dev team were given, and then you probably saw all sorts of things they cant replicate, so they don't tend to believe they exist .... I see no ghosts, *YOU* must be crazy ... I had a gtx460 back in the day, and its really just not that powerful a card ... that being said, I'd expect you to be able to pull 30 fps with it pretty stable, on low settings ... but youll have to keep the resolution toned down ... 1080p might be asking a bit much ... you probably don't have much overclock headroom either ...

if you cant get a can of compressed air, you might want to try using one or two vacuums on those air vents ...

Edited by NARC BAIT, 10 October 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#8 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationK-F jumping to battle

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:24 AM

I have had periodic trouble with my graphics. My solutions are:
- Overclock fan settings for higher power at lower temperatures
- Use a framerate limiter to ease the load on my GPU (30fps is fine)
And finally,
- Go to the control panel for your graphics drivers (e.g. nVidia control panel) and under manage settings, change the program-specific settings for MWO with a focus on improving performance

#9 Jiroku the Utahraptor

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 10 October 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

if you see the pagefile going hard, its generally a sign that you've run out of actual memory ... and things get stored there in place of actual memory ... and it works, but could literally be 100x slower ... especially if the pagefile isn't on its own disk ( it never is, because that's crazy ) ... unfortunately the base code for MWO is old, and isn't getting any better ... you can tweak things around ... but MWO tends to demand a higher system, than it should ... and theres no shortage of weird behaviours rarely seen ... unless you didn't buy the same CPU's as the dev team were given, and then you probably saw all sorts of things they cant replicate, so they don't tend to believe they exist .... I see no ghosts, *YOU* must be crazy ... I had a gtx460 back in the day, and its really just not that powerful a card ... that being said, I'd expect you to be able to pull 30 fps with it pretty stable, on low settings ... but youll have to keep the resolution toned down ... 1080p might be asking a bit much ... you probably don't have much overclock headroom either ...

if you cant get a can of compressed air, you might want to try using one or two vacuums on those air vents ...

This might seem like a noob's question, but how can I increase my available memory? I would think getting less background processes to run, and simply trying to restart my computer, but would there be anything else I could do to try to alleviate that problem? Restarting the game has done pretty much nothing to remedy it.

Edited by Asriel Dreemur, 12 October 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#10 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

run the game's repair tool (look for clear shader cache option)
set your power plan to never turn off your ethernet/wifi to conserve power
turn most of your in game advanced video settings to low

if you have a couple games that dont run down, then it slows redo the shader cach clearing.

#11 Jiroku the Utahraptor

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

View PostGorantir, on 14 October 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

run the game's repair tool (look for clear shader cache option) set your power plan to never turn off your ethernet/wifi to conserve power turn most of your in game advanced video settings to low if you have a couple games that dont run down, then it slows redo the shader cach clearing.

I run the Steam version of the game, so I can't use the repair tool. I'm verifying the integrity of the game files instead.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Your laptop has one fan/heatsink setup. The heatsink is on the exit vent. A can of compressed air duster (listed as such) is a few dollars and it would be used once every few months to break up the dust buildup on the heatsink itself. If not can then a vacuum would work while also using a straw to blow a force of air into each segment of the heatsink to break up the dustbuild up.

As you get older, once you have opened up the side cases of a desktop you will see what thick dusk can build up and become quite solid if not cleaned regularly. And the more humid the air the worse it becomes.

Posted Image

This is a pic of a laptop's fan/heatsink full of dust buildup.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 October 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#13 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

yeah, and if you really want to accelerate that dust build up, make sure you smoke and blow your output at the pc ... pc's love nicotine and other types of smoke ... seriously, I've seen instances where fans wont even spin after a heavy smoker has a go at it for a few months in high humidity situations ...

in an ideal situation, you might take it apart ... but beware, usually laptops become nightmarish quickly .... if your really lucky, someone will have done a tear down on youtube or something, and they will tell you about tricks to watch out for .... most don't require many tools, but they do tend to require a lot of finesse ... for instance, some have plastic clips, that if you happen to break, will never go back together again ...

#14 Jiroku the Utahraptor

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 15 October 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

yeah, and if you really want to accelerate that dust build up, make sure you smoke and blow your output at the pc ... pc's love nicotine and other types of smoke ... seriously, I've seen instances where fans wont even spin after a heavy smoker has a go at it for a few months in high humidity situations ...

in an ideal situation, you might take it apart ... but beware, usually laptops become nightmarish quickly .... if your really lucky, someone will have done a tear down on youtube or something, and they will tell you about tricks to watch out for .... most don't require many tools, but they do tend to require a lot of finesse ... for instance, some have plastic clips, that if you happen to break, will never go back together again ...

Yeah I've heard about that. The last thing I want to do is break my machine, so I'm definitely not going there.

Perhaps fan cleaning will go a long way towards fixing the problem, as it seems like practically all memory usage is by apps I want up/I'm not willing to take down. MWO itself, for example, uses about 500MB of memory.

The main offenders seem to be Chrome, Discord, MWO, and the System itself, all of which can't really be closed either because I don't want to or I simply can't. The strange thing is that I've never seen all these processes combined go far above 1GB of usage, so they shouldn't be affecting my machine that much when I have 8 at my disposal. I think there's something going on in the background that's screwing with my machine's ability to work.

Edited by Asriel Dreemur, 18 October 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#15 Jiroku the Utahraptor

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

I decreased my resolution to 720 and didn't have any interruptions last weekend, though this could just be coincidence. The game doesn't really seem to be running any better normally, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users