Should PGI crowd fund maps

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

They can try. I'm sure some one would do it just not me. I've been putting up with pgi's lack of development and snail progress for years. Just read the archived posts from 2012 onward about things.

#3 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

I have suggest this a number of times.
Then always someone comes along saying "Absolutely not because there are people who don't want to spend money to play maps".
Then I explain to them that once crowdfunded, the maps would be available to all for free (makes me wonder how this isn't obvious to everyone in the first place).
And then the thread dies because it's a sound idea that noone can flame anymore with that reasonable explanation.

Let's see how this thread will go.

Edited by Paigan, 23 September 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#4 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Community created maps could have been a thing if PGI had ever allowed it - but wouldn't because.....

Reasons.

Good Reasons.

Like really good reasons....

From PGI "we can't allow community created content because bla bla [Redacted] retain control ******** content rights bla bla ******** [Redacted] yea we know other games have done it successfully but bla bla [Redacted] ********"

Edited by draiocht, 27 September 2017 - 03:44 AM.
inappropriate language

#5 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 23 September 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Community created maps could have been a thing if PGI had ever allowed it - but wouldn't because.....

Reasons.

Good Reasons.

Like really good reasons....

From PGI "we can't allow community created content because bla bla [Redacted] retain control ******** content rights bla bla ******** [Redacted] yea we know other games have done it successfully but bla bla [Redacted] ********"

The reasons are: they would most probably be ******, as a consequence make MWO look ****** in videos and reviews, hence damage or even kill the game.
They would probably also create more managing and tool providing effort on the PGI side that the community contribution would be worth.

The rest of your post is astonishingly immature, offensive and unconstructive.

Edited by draiocht, 27 September 2017 - 03:48 AM.
Quote Clean-Up

#6 WolfSpine Vickers

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

I was actually thinking more along the lines that PGI developes the maps and the community funds it ... be like buying a mechpack

#7 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

Question: Why can't community created maps be sent to their QA for testing, if for some reason it does not pass QA and the concept is strongly supported by us (the players), the creator can then hand over their resources to PGI (if the community is willing to make maps for free, this isn't really an issue) and let them fix whatever needs fixing... for the most part you wouldn't need to start completely from scratch... which saves time and budget.

Win-win for everyone, we get new maps while PGI saves funds for other projects.

I don't claim to be a genius when it comes to programming/coding, so flame shield on if it's not as easy as 1-2-3.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

pgi should totally allow custom maps in custom games. just to see how it does. if it works out then maybe to map drives where winners get mechpacks and their map made official (provided the map meets quality standards). new maps are why doom and quake haven't died yet.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 September 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#9 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostPaigan, on 23 September 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Then always someone comes along saying "Absolutely not because there are people who don't want to spend money to play maps".

PGI has enough money to make an entirely new single player game. I'm not crowd funding ****.

Edited by Accused, 23 September 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#10 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostPaigan, on 23 September 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

The reasons are: they would most probably be ******, as a consequence make MWO look ****** in videos and reviews, hence damage or even kill the game.
They would probably also create more managing and tool providing effort on the PGI side that the community contribution would be worth.

The rest of your post is astonishingly immature, offensive and unconstructive.

I wasn't referring to letting everyone and their mom put out any map they want and PGI would have to publish it.

There were many threads of yor discussing it. A map contest with community voting, quality approval by PGI etc...

Anyway, the upshot was the community does all the work with PGI only having to do some quality testing and maybe a little tweaking. There were many people interested with the skills to potentially make great maps.. but it was roundly ignored by PGI... with responses that kind of ignored the suggestion or skirted around it with responses that didn't really make much sense.

As for the rest... I'm glad I could offend you.

View PostN0ni, on 23 September 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

Question: Why can't community created maps be sent to their QA for testing, if for some reason it does not pass QA and the concept is strongly supported by us (the players), the creator can then hand over their resources to PGI (if the community is willing to make maps for free, this isn't really an issue) and let them fix whatever needs fixing... for the most part you wouldn't need to start completely from scratch... which saves time and budget.

Win-win for everyone, we get new maps while PGI saves funds for other projects.

I don't claim to be a genius when it comes to programming/coding, so flame shield on if it's not as easy as 1-2-3.

See above.

#11 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

Just grab the cryengine SDK and start making maps. We can still beg PGI for the inclusion of community made maps once such exist.

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

It is absolutely possible for PGI to crowdfund maps and make players pay for it. Just like the Tourney Supporter pack, there could be a Map Supporter pack that gives small bonuses (preferably between January and September so it won't overlap with tourney supporter pack) and free goodies as bonus. Players will lap up those!

You know what, I'm gonna tweet Russ about it.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 September 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#13 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Homemade maps could be available in private matches so they can tested and have an incubation period for sorting out bugs, optimization and other issues.

I really dout copyright is the issue with maps, you can state in the ToS that once you've submitted your map to the server it's no longer yours, and stolen assets from other games can just lead to the map being removed like all other services for user submitted content.

I think the real reason is that it's some work to make it possible and they don't want to spent that much more resources on this game since it's already way past it's prime. If a feature like that were to be considered I suspect it would be in a future project after MW5.

I don't think it's a good idea for PGI to try and crowdfund anything whatsoever until they have earned a better reputation as a developer, I hope they do but right now transverse and the failure to make CW is what signifies PGIs previous attempts at crowdfunding, two failed projects is not a good basis to ask for anyone's money.

#14 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 23 September 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Homemade maps could be available in private matches so they can tested and have an incubation period for sorting out bugs, optimization and other issues.

I really dout copyright is the issue with maps, you can state in the ToS that once you've submitted your map to the server it's no longer yours, and stolen assets from other games can just lead to the map being removed like all other services for user submitted content.

I think the real reason is that it's some work to make it possible and they don't want to spent that much more resources on this game since it's already way past it's prime. If a feature like that were to be considered I suspect it would be in a future project after MW5.

I don't think it's a good idea for PGI to try and crowdfund anything whatsoever until they have earned a better reputation as a developer, I hope they do but right now transverse and the failure to make CW is what signifies PGIs previous attempts at crowdfunding, two failed projects is not a good basis to ask for anyone's money.

Community map making was suggested years ago... not when the game was past it's prime. And you are correct, copyright issues shouldn't have been an issue, but PGI gave convoluted responses suggesting it... so nobody really knows why.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostWolfSpine Vickers, on 23 September 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I was actually thinking more along the lines that PGI developes the maps and the community funds it ... be like buying a mechpack

2 new maps are just around the corner.. But it won't help much in map variety, if they keep the voting system the same.. At the very least they need to remove at least one option. that would bring up variety a large %

#16 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 23 September 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Community map making was suggested years ago... not when the game was past it's prime. And you are correct, copyright issues shouldn't have been an issue, but PGI gave convoluted responses suggesting it... so nobody really knows why.

Yes we don't know, but there have been some signs regarding other issues that suggests PGI leadership is quite controlling and self righteous, they seem to want their own solutions only. So it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a matter of simply not wanting to let anyone else contribute in other ways than their own controlled "feedback" sessions.

Edited by Sjorpha, 23 September 2017 - 06:51 PM.

#17 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Can I get a 'Hell', can I get a 'No'. Hell No

PGI should be making maps to keep people interested in the game, maps are real content, not mech packs.

PGI should have and could have been doing player created maps and saved themselves time and money and prolly a chunk of the players that have left the game due to boredom.

New maps should have been out every 3-6 months and trying to count map revamps is just half assed as expected.

#18 WolfSpine Vickers

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 23 September 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Can I get a 'Hell', can I get a 'No'. Hell No

PGI should be making maps to keep people interested in the game, maps are real content, not mech packs.

PGI should have and could have been doing player created maps and saved themselves time and money and prolly a chunk of the players that have left the game due to boredom.

New maps should have been out every 3-6 months and trying to count map revamps is just half assed as expected.

You don't spend money on the game anyway ... so what does it matter to you

#19 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 27 September 2017 - 03:36 AM.
unconstructive, reply removed

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostAccused, on 23 September 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

PGI has enough money to make an entirely new single player game. I'm not crowd funding ****.

ive given them enough money. so id say i already paid my fair share for new maps. still waiting for pgi to deliver.

community maps is the way to go. it doesn't cost anything. pgi just sticks in a user maps forlder and throws up some links to the crytek sdk. then make the game load them when a custom game is selected. as far as i know those games are unranked and you couldn't use new maps to give one side an advantage or turn it into a farming machine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users