BattleMechs

27 replies to this topic

#1 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

So, I was looking through my mechs, and realized that I really don't have any ballistic heroes (Well, I have a Grid Iron, but, you know... ppffffttttt). Now seems like a good time for hero getting for someone still pinching their Founder pennies.

So here's whats up.

Blackjack The Arrow 1687
Bushwacker Highroller 2062
Cataphract Ilya Muromets 2625
Cyclops Sleipnir 3375
Firestarter Ember 1312
Raven Huginn 1312
Rifleman Legend-Killer 2250
Warhammer Black Widow 2625
Dire Wolf Ultraviolet 4687
Night Gyr Jade Kite 3517

Bolded ones are what I'm particularly interested in.

So, forums - Which heroes are actually worth getting? Based on your own metrics. Personally, I was looking into the Bushwacker (Love the Chassis, and it seems like, at the very least, the Highroller could replace my RAC Buchwacker, while also earning C-Bill and does some different things), but I'd hate to spend my limited MC on it if there's a more interesting chassis (The Black Widow looks kind of nice too, but I don't hear much about it).

Thanks!

Edited by Bombast, 24 September 2017 - 05:19 AM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image

Was the first hero 'Mech I ever got, back when I was super-scrub in 2014.

I've played it a lot.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 September 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

I've played it a lot.

What do you do with it? Anything with it besides MG boat? How does it work with HMGs?

Edited by Bombast, 24 September 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:30 AM

I really want to get the Highroller (or Sleipnir), but I just feel like IS Hero mechs are too quirk dependent to spend MC on. Which is why I want to wait until Esprit de Corps is on sale after some months, for my ballistic collection.

I love my Jade Kite. Ultraviolet seems fun but is too slow for my playstyle.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 September 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

View PostBombast, on 24 September 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

What do you do with it? Anything with it besides MG boat? How does it work with HMGs?

Do not use HMGs. They suck, hard.

What I do is use a RAC/5 with 5x LMG and 3x standard MedLas. That gives you 17 DPS and will let you blow a hole through anything foolish enough to linger. Watch your ammo, though.

#6 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

Of the ones in bold I have found the Sleipnir, Black Widow and Legend Killer to be great choices. Both the Sleipnir & Black Widow make excellent torso mounted dakka platforms, whereas the Legend Killer makes life easier when it coems to aiming with those lovely arms, but loses tonnage by being lighter and not being able to strip the arms.

Post-new skill tree I have been piloting my Huginn a lot more, as the ammo nodes really helped solve the only issue I ever had with the chassis. The introduction of LMGs has also helped make it a little more of a threat further out.

#7 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

Highroller: Fun, tanky Bushy that i run 1 snPPC, 1 AC20, 3ML on. Won't disappoint whatever you decide to put on it.

Sleipnir: i like to think of it as a Fafnir, at least how i have mine set up. Same speed, same guns. Loads of fun and can carry matches.

Legend Killer: no regrets picking this up with the sale, although i'd recommend everything but the Muromets over this unless you really like the Rifleman chassis.

Black Widow: Own 3 of these (got em back before the Warhammer nerfening), many possibilities with builds... and Warhammers are generally solid mechs.

Those are my 4 recommendations.

#8 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Bushwacker Highroller: Good profile and good mounts, just the 3E arm tends to get focussed a lot. Can run all kinds of builds, e.g. 2xRAC5 + ML for fun. See e.g. https://mwomercs.com...r-lover-builds/ for builds and consider https://mwomercs.com...hawk-for-dakka/ . Do note that the missile hardpoint creates a tumor over your head which makes it harder to sneak around. Rating: *thumbs up*

Warhammer Black Widow: Like the WHR-6R, can run large ballistics in the side torsi. Very versatile. 4xML + ballistics of choice, can't go wrong with that. Or try the 4x(U)AC5 or 2xAC20 builds. Solid mech, but prone to be a priority target. Rating: *thumbs up*

Raven Huginn: Comes with an XL, but has not much weight available, forcing you to go with 4xMG and some missiles. There's only so much you can do with it. Can hold it's own against enemy lights and finish off assaults. Haven't tried downsizing the engine and running a boomchicken yet. Having only ammo based weapons means you risk running out of it without any backup. Overall though, I tend to prefer the RVN-3L. Rating: Meh, can be frenetically fun but is a bit onesided.

note: The pods on the DWF-UV give it 2 more ballistics hardpoints over the other DWF, which is only really relevant for the 8x LBX2/UAC2/AC2 build. The one non-hero DWF I have is enough slowness for me.

Edited by Exilyth, 24 September 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

I love the arrow and Ember.. (use an LFE in the ember, it will run about 140 KPH)

I used to have the Illya, but i sold it on accident, whoops! But i really enjoyed that mech. I keep wanting to buy it back. It was a very solid mech, but then again i really enjoy cataphracts even these days i play them semi often. In Pugs they still are solid, and they are darn tanky. The new LFE's really speed them up.

the arrow is probably the strongest, but i still think the ember is worth using. The Illya, its a phract, and they are much better since the skill tree, engine desync, and they did get smaller last summer. Its a fine PUG mech no doubt.

#10 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 September 2017 - 05:30 AM, said:

Ultraviolet seems fun but is too slow for my playstyle.
Trying to run the Ultraviolet stock is an exercise in futility. You are normally better off using the Hardpoints on a different variant.

And honestly, I rarely used the arms except for on a laser+QuadLB10 build, and put the STs on another Dire that could mount a CT and Head energy (For the sweet 6X Torso MPL). And even then it's barely worth a damn because of how sluggish Dires and other 100 tonners are.

#11 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

I haven't piloted them much outside of the recent ballistics event but the sleipher, black widow and arrow are all decent. Have not enjoyed the jade kite since the decoupling and increased UAC jams. (It was my Uac2 boat of choice).

#12 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

All hail the Boomhammer on the Black Widow chassis!

#13 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Damn, was kind of hoping for a more... discerning choice but it seems like everybody likes everything on there. Good sale, I guess.

Kind of unrelated, how do people like the K-9? Only reason I'm not getting two of these (And having a hard time choosing) is because I'm saving MC for that when its released for MC (And is on sale), but I haven't actually looked too much at it. All I know is that it's got torso hardpoint that keep it going once the arms are gone and its got a cool siren.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

So man what did you get? If you didn't better get on the getting before the sale is over!

Judging from the leader boards when that mech was released it was pretty hot.. But i haven't seen many lately.. but when i do, they seem to do quite well.

Edited by JC Daxion, 25 September 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

well if it is +3 ballistic slots.. then there is only one clear winner.. ARROW! :)

#16 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Kind of unrelated, how do people like the K-9?

Honestly, i only bought it for the wailer. After playing several matches, it became my favorite IS Light. Imo it runs 5 MPL much better than the Firestarter or Wolfhound ever did.

Also, that 360° torso twist comes in handy. Worth a buy: Yes.

#17 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

The best hero there in my book is the Iiya Muromets, my favorite build on it is 3 lbx 10's and 2 er medium lasors. Things a tank and will pump out some serious damage. Second on my list to get is the Sleipnir and do 4 medium lasers and 2 Lbx 20's. You will definitely make some good money and have a blast playing them. WARNING I might be a little bit of a Cataphract fan boy but anyways both 2 great soild mechs. Gl the Bruno.

#18 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Bomb let use know what you end up buying. If you haven't brought the HighRoller bushie yet I would, I picked it up and im running 4 er medium lasers, mrm 30 and 3 light machine guns with a light 275 engine. Its really good have to say, will only get better with more skilleds unlocked

#19 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

I bought just the one High Roller during the sale for the challenge but I think the mech is a keeper regardless of the challenge. And it has hard points to deal with any other weapon based challenges coming soon.

I started running 2xRAC2/5, 3xMPL, 2x MGs of all types. Very fun. Posted 600+ damage scores nearly every match. Didn't like the need for facetime so I switched back to and settled on 1xAC10, 3xMPL, 2xLMG. I am now considering changing the engine to LFE275/300 and swapping the AC10 for LB10X, but the solid fire rate and reliability of the AC10 is fantastic.

Wish I had saved the video (completely forgot about shadow replay), charged into an enemy group and did 4 solo kmdd on a heavy, 2 meds and a light in the space of 3 crazy minutes. Did get the match summary screens tho.

So yeah 2 mech thumbs up for the HR!

Edited by arcana75, 25 September 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#20 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

If it were me, I'd get Black Widow, Legend Killer, Sleipnir. The Arrow, and Illya are good too, but I don't really run Blackjacks or Cataphracts.

The Legend Killer is by far the best Rifleman.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users