#1 XiminettoXL

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

[Redacted]

I had a jagermech with 2 acs 10.

I told him that i killed a dire wolf in one shot,on the head. He says that its impossible.

I told him that his armor is 18,max one. But thats on a lot of time ago. Now heads have 20 armor and 20 internal. Some time ago only 18 without internals. But the guy insists that im wrong and its impossible.

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 27 September 2017 - 03:21 AM.
unconstructive, insult

#2 5C3P7R3

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

Well... it could be possible if the mech was damaged.
But isn't it irrational to tell others not to speak with him? (no offense intended)

#3 XiminettoXL

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Long time ago,max armor on the head was 18,without internals. 2 acs 10 does 20 in one shot. Make maths.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostXiminettoXL, on 24 September 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

[Redacted]

I had a jagermech with 2 acs 10.

I told him that i killed a dire wolf in one shot,on the head. He says that its impossible.

I told him that his armor is 18,max one. But thats on a lot of time ago. Now heads have 20 armor and 20 internal. Some time ago only 18 without internals. But the guy insists that im wrong and its impossible.

[Redacted]

Are you talking about another game, or MWO?

If MWO, heads have had 18 armor and 15 structure for a long, long time.. Which depending on the Skill tree, can go higher than that now which is probably why you think it's 20 armor. It is still very much 18 armor + skill tree percentage for a maximum.

It is, however, impossible to have killed a Dire Wolf with a headshot in a single blow if he had maximum armor. This is due to the fact that 18 armor + 15 structure has been the norm since late 2012.

Now, if the Dire Wolf had say, 2 armor on the head which is very common of IS mechs since head hitboxes are tiny (and ******* stupid as heck as a Clan pilot since Clan head hitboxes are HUGE [usually])... then yeah. Totally one shot him as say 15 structure + 2 armor is still 17 versus your 20 damage shot.

View PostXiminettoXL, on 24 September 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Long time ago,max armor on the head was 18,without internals. 2 acs 10 does 20 in one shot. Make maths.

With this math, you could not make a kill. If they had 18 armor... you'd leave them very much alive with 13 structure health. Sadly you cannot "crit" the pilot in MWO.

View Post5C3P7R3, on 24 September 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Well... it could be possible if the mech was damaged.
But isn't it irrational to tell others not to speak with him? (no offense intended)

It falls under the name and shame policy, so yes it is.

Edited by draiocht, 27 September 2017 - 03:22 AM.
Quote Clean-Up

#5 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

DWF has -2 head armor quirk for some reason.

Still not enough to oneshot with 20 dmg.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

Missing lots of information from the OP. He remembers cockpit a dire but very few details. That he was having a disagreement while using wrong information though did not help his case.

Technically, his headshot of the dire could have happened if the other pilot either had ammo stored in the cockpit and was lucky enough on crit roll/explosion, and/or if the cockpit had already been damaged while also generating crits. Do not forget the 15% additional damage rule for crit damage. Additional internal structure damage applied if 1x/2x/3x crit hits rolls, and hitting with an AC10 generates 1.5pts/3.0pts/4.5pts IS damage.

Simply noting how it could have happened.

#7 Le Chuck

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

anything is plausible. I see A LOT of rookies running no head armor.

Heck, if you read through the new guy posts you will find more than a few bragging or suggesting not to use head armor.

Do not be the no head armor guy. Do not fall into this trap: "since I cannot land head shots nobody can land head shots."

#8 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Only possibility to oneshot a fully armored direwolf with dual AC10 is when he did not skill armor but struckture and made the fault to put ammo into his head and you critted by chance the ammo bin leading to an ammunition explosion.

#9 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

As Le Chuck mentioned, a surprising number of people run without any cockpit armour at all. Blew up an Archer once with a pure luck Gauss to the head. Exactly 15 points is all it took.

#10 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

If he ran with 0 head armor, then yes it could be possible. I one punished a Cyclops and a Warhawk that both ran without head armor with my Mauler 2P with a similar loadout as the OP described (one was with 2 AC/10s, the other with 2 AC/20s). I only got the headshot kill against the Cyclops, but I took the Warhawk down to cherry red head internal (before I got ganked by 2 Kodiaks. This was long ago before the nerfs to the Kodiaks).

#11 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

I only strip the head armor from my locusts, it's the only mech that is _that_ weight starved. It's also got a really tiny head, you should always be moving (making it a hard shot) and most alphas will core you anyway if they land a sold hit. Life is hard for a locust, but in my thousands of games, I cannot remember ever being headshot, even after about a week in someone explained I did not need head or much arm armor...

#12 XiminettXL

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Catalonia

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostCloves, on 25 September 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

I only strip the head armor from my locusts, it's the only mech that is _that_ weight starved. It's also got a really tiny head, you should always be moving (making it a hard shot) and most alphas will core you anyway if they land a sold hit. Life is hard for a locust, but in my thousands of games, I cannot remember ever being headshot, even after about a week in someone explained I did not need head or much arm armor...

It's funny cus i headshoot an artic chetah few games ago. Lucky shot i need to say.

Edited by XiminettXL, 25 September 2017 - 11:45 AM.

#13 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Imho you can crit a Head and as the Cockpit armor is max 18 and 2 AC10 do 20 damage they can take away any armor in 1 hit.
Critting works if armor is gone that your same shots do also FULL damage on the internals and also can be multplied by one, two or three times the damage.

But yeah, afaik a single AC20 or 2x AC10 can Headshot you in one blow bcs its possible to do 20 damage each to armor and internals (or more) in one blow.

PS: Which is the reason that hard hitting weapons are so good Killers.

PPS: I allways put ammo in my head bcs it means i have extra health - the rate for ammo Explosion is lower than 5% and you need to crit ammo TWICE afaik to make it blow up by bad chance of luck and not simply crit out.
Overheating though can make you blow up if you do it to often as it makes ammo blow up.
And often the ammo in my head is already depleted by the time i get hit so the chance is even lower to die from a head ammo explosion.
There was once a list in which they did show how the ammo was used up and head ammo is used first according to that list.

Edited by Thorqemada, 25 September 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#14 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Improbable but not impossible.

He could have stripped the armour down or you crit ammo stored in the head slot.

#15 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Always leave *some* armor on your head (and anything else you strip). Having no armor is visible to your enemies. Having 2 points of armor looks just like 18 until they manage to hit.

...I have noticed people deliberately shooting off my stripped arm with no weapons in it, though, once they get through the 2 points. Maybe I should start putting zero on it to encourage them to waste their time? q:3

#16 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

[Redacted]

First off I would say [Redacted] and if it were to happen [Redacted] where the sun does not [Redacted]

And if you ever get the chance then [Redacted]

When the time is right, move the [Redacted]

I hope this clears things up some

#17 Xim Prime

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBcn,Catalonia,near Spain

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 01 October 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

[Redacted]

First off I would say [Redacted] and if it were to happen [Redacted] where the sun does not [Redacted]

And if you ever get the chance then [Redacted]

When the time is right, move the [Redacted]

I hope this clears things up some

Suck my nose ;)

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 25 September 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Imho you can crit a Head and as the Cockpit armor is max 18 and 2 AC10 do 20 damage they can take away any armor in 1 hit.
Critting works if armor is gone that your same shots do also FULL damage on the internals and also can be multplied by one, two or three times the damage.

But yeah, afaik a single AC20 or 2x AC10 can Headshot you in one blow bcs its possible to do 20 damage each to armor and internals (or more) in one blow.

PS: Which is the reason that hard hitting weapons are so good Killers.

PPS: I allways put ammo in my head bcs it means i have extra health - the rate for ammo Explosion is lower than 5% and you need to crit ammo TWICE afaik to make it blow up by bad chance of luck and not simply crit out.
Overheating though can make you blow up if you do it to often as it makes ammo blow up.
And often the ammo in my head is already depleted by the time i get hit so the chance is even lower to die from a head ammo explosion.
There was once a list in which they did show how the ammo was used up and head ammo is used first according to that list.

You've got your information slightly incorrect (either that or I do). You do not deal full damage to the armor and internals if the armor is breach (or at least not as you make it sound like). Instead, you deal damage to armor first, then any extra damage over the armor bleeds into the internals until all damage is assigned.

For example, if you deal 20 damage to a component (be it with Ac10s or AC20s) you will deal (excluding criticals at the moment) only 20 damage. If a target had 10 armor remaining in a location and 20 structure, a hit of 20 damage would deal 10 damage to the armor and the remaining 10 damage would be assigned to the structure leaving the structure (for the given example) at 10 structure left.

After that base damage is assigned, then you have critical possible damage. Crits (in short) can happen anywhere from none to up to three crits per individual weapon hitting. If a weapon crits (probably the portion that confused you), it not only will deal damage to equipment within that component, but also deals additional percentage of damage to that component's structure. As Tarl Cabot mentioned before with what appears to be correct numbers, an AC10 could deal 1.5pts/3.0pts/4.5pts of additional structural damage if a single, double or triple crit is scored. This is a number based off the total damage that the weapon deals, in the case of a single AC10 that would be 10 damage. (We are presuming IS AC10, for simplicity of a single shell and a single load of damage.)

AKA: A weapon will only deal it's listed damage base. If armor is pierced, it will deal remaining base damage from the attack to the internals. if the internals take damage, that damage may be a critical hit potentially dealing more damage. The extra damage is based off the full potential damage (acting as though the weapon completely had passed the armor), even though the base damage that was dealt to the structure may not have been the weapon's full damage.

Example: 5 armor, 20 structure example. A single AC10 deals damage to that location. It deals 5 damage to the armor and the remaining 5 damage is assigned to the structure. Then, that single AC10 shot could deal a potential 4.5 additional damage if a rare triple critical hit is dealt. If, say, the max critical is achieved (typically a rare event), than the above damage would be 5 damage dealt to the armor and 9.5 damage dealt to the structure leaving the structure with 10.5 health remaining. This would be a total max damage of 14.5 damage max in the above example or for any potential hit that was dealt over the armor or without armor to that location.

(I make this remark because it appeared as though you were saying the above damage would instead have been 5 damage to the armor, and then 10 damage to the structure with a potential of 4.5 damage additional if a triple crit happened, meaning that a single AC10 that punched through armor in that situation would be dealing 19.5 damage... Which is not actually the case. Unless I am completely wrong of course.)

As a side note: Structural health (excluding quirks and the head component) is half the total possible armor of a location. For example, if a CT could have a max of 100 armor (say you have 93 front and 7 back armor), than the structural health of that location would be 50 internal health. Even if you placed no armor on that location, it would still have that 50 internal health. The head component is an exception to this rule, which have 18 armor max and 15 structure (or just defer to what Koniving said earlier in the thread).

In relation to this thread with dual AC10s (provided other information is correct), dual AC10s can not typically one hit KO another mech from a head component destruction if it is fully armored and not previously damaged. However, many pilots seem to skimp on head armor and if it is low enough than it is more than possible to drop any mech with a single alpha from a dual AC10 hit. Going for most unlikely possibility (a double case of triple hit), an AC10 can deal 29 points of damage. This means that any head component with less than 14 points of armor placed onto it could (on a really long shot) be a single shot KO. For more reliable and guarantee of this event, a pilot would need to skimp so much on armor as to go as low as 5 points of head armor (20 points of total head health) with no crits at all happening.

As someone who has seen other pilots place literally only a single point of armor on their mechs (or even none)... I wouldn't be too surprised to find out someone got head shot from a dual AC10 from lack of armor placement on their heads. I personally try to keep it as close to max as possible, dropping probably no lower than 13 health.

FYI: Skill tree can make these health numbers higher, as well as mech quirks. Mech quirks and the ST do stack...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users