All Mgs Need A Crit Reduction

127 replies to this topic

#1 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

I'm all for having crit seeking weapons, and having greatly increased structure enabled that, but this is just silly.

#2 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

What are your circumstances that you find them overkill? Like what role do you most often play and notice MGs crit seeking to be problematic?

They are really incredible at stripping your guns once armor is gone, but in a lot of instances vs MGs I still have armor, and they just do nada, so IDK, for me it hasn't exactly been game breaking, but I have been running good speed heavies ever since the rebirth of light love, whereas before I ran my assaults, so it definitely has had an impact on my play currently.

#3 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

View Postadamts01, on 25 September 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

I'm all for having crit seeking weapons, and having greatly increased structure enabled that, but this is just silly.

I'm ok with removing crit thingy... just double or triple DPS, remove spread +add more ammo/ton and range for HMG

#4 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

I presume you were dropping in an assault, given your earlier thread, and got crit out the back by a Crit Lynx/Cheetah/Arrow? Yeah, that happens. I don't think MGs need another nerf, though, the recent one to LMGs put those pretty well back into alignment with expectations. It's just a playstyle. If you remove the crit from MGs, you remove the playstyle, resulting in even more of the exact same thing everyone's doing.

#5 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 25 September 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

I presume you were dropping in an assault, given your earlier thread, and got crit out the back by a Crit Lynx/Cheetah/Arrow? Yeah, that happens. I don't think MGs need another nerf, though, the recent one to LMGs put those pretty well back into alignment with expectations. It's just a playstyle. If you remove the crit from MGs, you remove the playstyle, resulting in even more of the exact same thing everyone's doing.

While MG based lights can be played well, they have also spawned a new wave of suicide lights, and butt-huggers, who just ram into other mechs at high speeds, facetiming them and messing with their ability to shoot back by being so close and moving (causing rubberbanding issues when differing pings are involved). So that does kind of suck.

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

If you want these forum folks to take you seriously you need to post a screenshot ;) otherwise they'll think you're just saying 'it killed me so I want it nerfed'.
I'd post a screenshot of a 2000 damage match with a cheeta with 6lmg and 2hml but I don't want em nerfed hue hue hue :D

#7 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

I would want to see the stats first before banning or modding any weapons. The full stats as I find most of the posts about this like the dreaded LRM's or MG's seem to be right after someone gets hosed by those weapons and someone is just pissed off. If it needs a crit reduction then ok for game balance sake would be a look at.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

It's just the clan MGs that need nerfing.
They're already half the weight of IS MGs, while also being much more boatable due to the insane amount of Ballistic hardpoints many Clan mechs have.

#9 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 25 September 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

It's just the clan MGs that need nerfing.
They're already half the weight of IS MGs, while also being much more boatable due to the insane amount of Ballistic hardpoints many Clan mechs have.

True, but nerf them too hard and you force them only to be used by the mechs that can boat them if at all.

#10 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 September 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

While MG based lights can be played well, they have also spawned a new wave of suicide lights, and butt-huggers, who just ram into other mechs at high speeds, facetiming them and messing with their ability to shoot back by being so close and moving (causing rubberbanding issues when differing pings are involved). So that does kind of suck.

To be fair, sometimes people just do stupid stuff and don't even know why they did it in the first place. I'm guilty of that one, myself. The problem of suicide lights and leg humpers, though, is by far not just a MWO problem, let alone an MG problem. We're just seeing more of them because a lot of people want to try out the new toys and those people aren't necessarily experienced with lights.

#11 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

A lynx armed with MGs is not a mech designed for battle, rather it is a skirmisher. I am not talking about striking something then running clear off to the edge of the map. MGs against armor take allot of time to destroy someones armor, even in the case of the rear. The key is to stay with your battle line so a skirmisher can not catch out in the open alone, and make you his prey.

Edited by Lances107, 25 September 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostNlGHTBlRD, on 25 September 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

If you want these forum folks to take you seriously you need to post a screenshot Posted Image otherwise they'll think you're just saying 'it killed me so I want it nerfed'.
I'd post a screenshot of a 2000 damage match with a cheeta with 6lmg and 2hml but I don't want em nerfed hue hue hue Posted Image

Well I wouldn't give much more than 1000 damage from that 2000 to MGs, good strikes and loads of lazoring...

#13 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 25 September 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

To be fair, sometimes people just do stupid stuff and don't even know why they did it in the first place. I'm guilty of that one, myself. The problem of suicide lights and leg humpers, though, is by far not just a MWO problem, let alone an MG problem. We're just seeing more of them because a lot of people want to try out the new toys and those people aren't necessarily experienced with lights.

Yeah to be fair I slam into mechs and butthug in my orionIIC at times too (not usually intentionally but in a brawl, stuff can get messy I agree), but I think my main point it it probably shouldn't be rewarded when it causes glitches like that lol. I would be a lot more careful if I knew high speed collisions with mechs were actually dangerous.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 25 September 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#14 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

If the crits were removed then what would be the point of taking MGs?

After MGs total crit nerf what's next, finally making LBX's 100% useless with it's crit removal too?

First it's LMG -> MG -> HMG -> LB20X -> LB10X -> LB5X -> LB2X if people are gonna go down the crit removal road because that's where it's gonna go.

Crits exist as a mechanic in the first place, to give that weapon a role to play, otherwise it would be a totally useless waste of weight and slots.

Besides if MGs were as op as people claims them to be then why take other weapons at all, why not just 100% MG builds?

A: I'll tell them why, because MGs aren't op and they're only good for structure if structure is exposed.

"B-b-but muh assault's back is opened in 0.01 nano seconds" Well put your back to the wall, put more armor on your back and stay near the team and if that doesn't work then maybe it isn't the lights causing the issue, maybe it's the pilot of the assault that's very potato with the mech. Just a thought.

Edited by GrimRiver, 25 September 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#15 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostNlGHTBlRD, on 25 September 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

If you want these forum folks to take you seriously......
If you can't tell now, I couldn't care less about what people think about me.

View PostCurccu, on 25 September 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm ok with removing crit thingy... just double or triple DPS, remove spread +add more ammo/ton and range for HMG
..... You haven't thought this through. Rotary ACs deal 1dps per ton with considerable heat and a jam chance, while Clan MGs deal 2dps out to 130 with no heat, no jam chance and basically unlimited ammo. Their damage is fine, it's their crit ability that's out of whack. They're already a dps monster, they don't need an OP crit chance stacked on top of it. HMGs absolutely need more ammo/ton, I actually made a post about that, but LMGs and plain MGs are crazy powerful right now.

#16 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostGrimRiver, on 25 September 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

If the crits were removed then what would be the point of taking MGs?
They're dps monsters already. I'm fine with crit seeking weapons, but not at the range and effectiveness of what we have, especially for such a small tonnage investment. I've actually been arguing for a MLX buff fore 2 years, but this is just stupid.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Yeah - MGs are way too powerful now. Not fun. Time to scale them back.

#18 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Postadamts01, on 25 September 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

They're dps monsters already. I'm fine with crit seeking weapons, but not at the range and effectiveness of what we have, especially for such a small tonnage investment. I've actually been arguing for a MLX buff fore 2 years, but this is just stupid.

DPS monsters?

That's news to me, guess I'm gonna go replace all the AC5/LB5/UAC5 on my mechs now.

I guess all the 5 rating AC's will also get a nerf too since my CTF-4X 4xAC5 can pump out 20 damage every 1.34 seconds if people want a GH limit to effective DPS builds?

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

That's a negative.

Protect each other's backs, especially if they've been opened up.

#20 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

Kill the crit bonus but buff range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users