Msaa (Multisample Antialiasing) Disables Smoke And Particle Effects On Amd Radeon

3 replies to this topic

#1 Harrels Badgerton

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Indiana

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

I tried enabling MSAA in the game settings to get maximum quality out of my new PC, but found it screwed a lot of the games visual effects up. MSAA is recommended as the cleanest looking AA method (but highest performance cost) and keeps textures and other graphics looking crisp, where FXAA or POSTAA blurs everything.

After turning MSAA on missles no longer exploded or had smoke effects (any kind of missle at any range), damaged mechs no longer smoked, and all light sources were very plain looking, just a kind of glow around the model. PPCs also lost most of their effect, they were a very pale blue transparent effect, hard to see.

After forcing settings in the graphics driver didn't work (more searches showed this is a normal radeon problem) I opened a ticket and they told me to disable "Cockpit Glass" in settings - not under video settings but "Game Settings."
After unchecking that box the game works very well and looks good at maxed settings with MSAA selected as the AA method.

Disabling cockpit glass only gets rid of that dirty glass look on the sides. You have a perfectly clear view out of your cockpit. You might lose some ambiance if you're really looking for it but it's worth it for the game to run right. Support told me this is a known issue that should get a fix some day.

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

honestly, for the amount of visual 'improvement' you get from MSAA, tends to no be worth the processing power requirement, even if it just worked properly .... and they will *probably* never fix it ... even if they said they would .... the question is, will they ever have the ability to fix it, seeing as this problem is proabably not related to PGI themselves, fixing it, probably falls outside of their realm aswell, but on the other hand, they really didn't want to say to the world that theres another problem they will never fix .... that would be like me saying I'm going to 'fix' windows ...

anyway, generally, MSAA, well, I'm just going to say that it doesn't work ... I mean sure, it has some effect, but is it able to kill 'aliasing' like it claims to be so anti ? its going to fall down in the majority of instances, still leaving most users seeing aliasing artefacts, just less often ...

#3 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

Two years after this post and you still can't have cockpit glass enabled if you want particle effects with MSAA.

#4 Ebelon

• Pip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDresden

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:30 AM

2021 this is still an issue... (6900XT here)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users