Razer Orbweaver

2 replies to this topic

#1 REDD0G

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

Looking to add this to my gaming setup. Currently using Mad Catz v7 keyboard and a Mad Catz RAT 9 Mouse. Id like to know anyones thoughts on the Razer Orbweaver please. I loose some time moving my fingers away from the WASD keys and feel a gaming keypad might help me out a bit more.

Thanks

#2 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:31 AM

Hm, it's still a WASD, the only benefit is the thumbstick.

I'm using a Cybory Fly 1 Joystick and a RAT 9 MMO Mouse.
Mouse for Aiming, Consumables, Targetting, Zoom, Center Legs, Armlock...

Joystick for analog Throttle and Turning.
Thumb Buttons: Weapongroups 3,5 & 6, and Target Overlay / Com
Trigger fires the Jumpjets
Coolie Hat: Night & Heatvision, Battlegrid & Score Tab
Pinky Button: VOIP

Oh, and for things like TAG / Open Weapon Doors / Power Down / Ecject / AMS Toggle / ECM Toggle i use Rocat Power Grid and my Smartphone.

#3 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

its been quite a while since I've used a gaming keypad, but the main issue that I always had with them, was desk space ... the space on my desk is always at a premium, and if I have enough space to have the secondary mini keyboard, undoubtedly my wife will find something to fill that space .... and the one your looking at, is the upgraded one to one I didn't want, because it didn't have enough keys for the majority of FPS games that I was playing at the time .... and then there was the software, which well nearly 10 years ago cant have been 'better' than what it is now, hope for your sake that its generally improved over time ... but I saw some really bad methods of changing profiles back in the day, when it was a thing and me and my friends went with different options ....

at the end of the day, we might say yay or nay, but that doesn't mean that what you end up with is actually going to suit you .... I'd seriously recommend finding a computer parts shop that you sit your hand on to see if its comfortable, because not all designs will suit all hands .... might sound dumb, but the last time I was considering them, it wasn't uncommon for me to play 20 hours straight, ahhhh youth, bans for 24 hours because a server mod thinks you need to sleep based on the sodium levels .... anyway, if your hands going to be resting on this thing for a while, better make sure it suits your hand ....

then you might want to consider how many buttons/keys you get, vs how many your left can reach on your keyboard, versus how many you don't actually use .... assuming your hand isn't signifigantly smaller t han mine, you should be able to press the keys out to the middle of the keyboard, T is probably an 'edge' with Y being too far a stretch to be comfortable to be doing all the time ...
line 1 - numbers - (`,1,3,4,5) - 5 keys
line 2 - tab - (tab,q,w,e,r,t) - 6 keys
line 3 - caps - (clck,a,s,d,f,g) - 6 keys
line 4 - shift - (shift,z,x,c,v) - 5 keys
line 5 - control - (ctrl,alt,space) - 3 keys

so looking at that, you really need to be able to issues at least 22-25 key commands, before your even getting close to getting an advantage over an actual keyboard .... so for the majority of people, I'd recommend reconfiguring the keybinds to be something a little less crazy ...

for instance, a real pilot does not require the centering keys, either of them, you wont be using advanced zoom, theres another key, you probably have fire weapons group one, two and three, on your mouse ... so do they really need to be 1,2,3 ? good positions for consumables if you ask me, I'm setup so that each key calls the type of consumable to be used, instead of referring to the actual slot that it happens to sit in, much better, and your hand isn't moving to the normal consumable keys in the insert/page down block .... making sure your not using throttle decay will leave your fingers free to press other keys around the joint ... if your using the steam overlay, your probably going to want to only use either the control or the shift key, probably not both, because hitting them too close together will bring up the overlay, probably causing death instead of glory ....

take the time to think about how to most efficiently achieve a keymap ... because if you do decide to go down that route, your going to end up doing it for every game you use the game board for .... until you cant be bothered, and it gets dusty, and your wife starts piling **** on the gaming keyboard ...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users