Value Laptop

9 replies to this topic

#1 Aetherflux

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

I tried a quick search with no luck. So hopefully it's ok that I start a new thread. Can anyone recommend a laptop for MWO that is in ≤$600? I'm not sure if this is just a fool hearty wish, but thought I would check with you guys for tips. It would be a laptop specifically for MWO or light gaming so I can play on the road because I have frequent business trips (in the hotel so battery life isn't a huge issue). My budget is just, unfortunately, not very large. So any input would be great! Thanks!

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Seeing how you'd *have* to have a reasonably powerful mobile gfx card i would say $600 is going to be tough...

#3 Aetherflux

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 07 October 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

Seeing how you'd *have* to have a reasonably powerful mobile gfx card i would say $600 is going to be tough...

I understand. What would you say my minimum budget would need to be?

#4 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

I saw some things recently where you can plug up an externally housed gtx 1070 .... if you really wanted a budget laptop, that you might occasionally game on ... that's where I'd want to be ... the thing that always holds laptops back, over time, are the GPU's and the stresses a high end one bring to the rest of the system ( bonus heat / power ) .... I'm a bit scarce on the details because I haven't looked at it hard, but, in theory, based on assumptions, you might be able to do it as two parts, external gpu this year, better laptop for it the year after ...

#5 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

I know I saw a youtube video from Linus Tech or NCIX where they reviewed the external GPU concept... I think you still need a special bus of some sort to use (I don;t think it was simply USB3). Besides, a 1070 would eat up half his budget...

As for price, I don't know off hand, but my work laptop barely runs MWO in a playble way (45-50 fps on all low, I know some play on *worse* but I wouldn't call it "playable") and it cost north of 2500US 3-4 years ago. Yes things have changed, but I think you are still looking at an investment of 1000-1200 minumum (and possibly flawed) to get in the game, so to speak.

#6 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

if I were you, this would be me ... that's all I'm sayin ...

Posted Image
lifted from : https://www.pcworld....phics-card.html

#7 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

I'd say minimum budget for a gaming laptop is probably about $750. Anything less and you're definitely looking at used/refurb, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but usually means you'll also be looking at slightly older hardware (like Haswell/Broadwell CPUs and Geforce 600/700/800-series GPUs).

The caveat here is that at $750, you'll likely find machines with decent mobile GPUs like the GTX 1050, but they'll probably have low-power CPUs in them which do not play MWO very well due to its CPU-bound nature. Once the mobile Ryzen/Vega systems start rolling out, maybe there will be more options in the laptop gaming space.

#8 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

The irony is how expensive it can be to play a free game.... ;)

#9 Aetherflux

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Gotcha, thanks for all the input!!

#10 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

You're better off stretching the budget to ~$700, to pick up a Dell Inspiron.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users