9 replies to this topic

#1 T e c h 4 9

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

I've noticed in watching the MWOWC semi-finals that the strikes are almost exclusively air strikes. Anyone care to comment on why air strikes are better than arty strikes? I actually prefer arty strikes over air strikes, but I'm no Tier 1 player either.

Interested in what people think about this - not just "'cuz they're better", but WHY are they better. My take is that an arty strike puts the damage in a radius area, whereas the air strikes put it in a line. I think being able to put the damage in an area affect instead of in a line is more advantageous in most instances, unless you are perpendicular to an enemy firing line.

#2 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

You can hide the smoke of air strikes from the person you are trying to strike, and they give a directionally defined, denser pattern of hits.

With an arty strike you have to put it closer to where someone is standing, making it harder to pull off and harder to conceal. Then the damage isn't as focused once it lands.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

Also easier to damage your own mech with arty strike than air strike, if the smoke marker is placed nearby your own mech.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

OMFG, what is with this post is too short bug?

Arty is good because chances are decent that at least one mech will get hit by at least one. But oddly, rarely the one you dropped it in front of. So if you think they will move, Arty works well.

I'm also an Air Strike guy because you know where each bomb is landing. The dream shot is to hit 3-4 Mech in a line. The first mech might see the smoke but the other behind might not.

The super dream shot is hitting them in a line from behind them. I've gotten several kills from Air Strikes (I'm sure they were already hurt)

#5 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

You use Artillery Strike against a cluster of enemies while you use Air Strikes on a conga line of enemies or a singular enemy on the other side of an obstacle.

#6 TheMightySpin

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 75 posts
  • LocationYour moms house

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I would say it's mostly situational with preferential bias.

For example, if you're on Forest Colony, and you see a lance moving through the canyon, you probably want to use the airstrike since they'll be nice and lined up. If they're next to the archway, however, an atry strike would probably be more effective since they're grouped tight in a semi enclosed area.

Past that, it's all personal preference and what you do best with.

#7 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

I use arty, exclusively. I like it better as area control and slapping a group of clumped up mechs than trying to directionally place air bombs.

Though, Air strikes allow you to overcome obstacles much easier, and you have a bit more control of where the shots will land. Arty you can sometimes throw bombs all around mechs even if it was placed well. You also will need much better LOS for arty - since you're usually tossing it at mechs themselves or the ground they're on. It can be difficult to put a strike on the top of a rock or something and try to whack something on the other side. So airstrikes let you hit stuff without LOS much easier. Of course, with an airstrike the line is always going to be dependent on your own position, so it might be supoptimal to aim.

However, I dodge airstrikes -all- the time. If there's smoke real close to you, you can often avoid an airstrike bomb but a arty will get you.

#8 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Personally, I tend to not like air strikes, simply because I have often find myself at the wrong angle to get the line of attack properly set up. Arty is much simpler to use. However, a properly placed air strike can be hugely effective, and they do tend to be more stealthy.

As an aside, it used to be that strike delivered 4 bombs by default, so each skill node (+25%) you had upped the bomb count by one. Now that each node only adds 15%, what the heck do they do? Nothing unless you have both (then just one more bomb)? Has the bomb number been changed (and damage with it)?
Bueller?

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Comp play is very hide an poke. Airstrikes are superior against hide and poke. Bringing the right tools for the job.

~Leone.

#10 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

One more reason to avoid comp play, thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users