11 replies to this topic

#1 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts
  • LocationHPG LXXIII-omega

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hey guys, so im in the process of putting together a monster build. My original build called for Thermaltake's Floe series AIO 360. But... i was heart broken when the pump would not, or barely reached the CPU. The tubes are too short. This forces me to place the AIO top mount and i do not want to do that for this build. Nor was i able to front mount with a push/pull system.

So... im looking into DIY loops. Ive done some heavy research and came down to two manufacturers. EKWB and Alphacool. Im heavily leaning with EKWB atm. I want to use hard tubing as i want to "bend" it to my specifications inside my case. Nothing fancy but im very handy and i think i can be creative.

So i guess the real question is how difficult is this? On the EKWB website, they have a tool to help you build your loop. After selecting all the hardware it gave me a list of parts. I could go ahead and buy the kit but i was selecting other parts to use instead such as a larger reservoir.

Another question that has me wondering, can i use other parts from different manufacturers too? Say for example, i wanna use pump X manufacturer with CPU block Y manufacturer along with Compression Fittings Z.

They all seem pretty basic to me.

Here's the current part list/build im working on
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv6fwV

Anyone here with DIY experience?

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

cant say I've done any builds with it for quite a few years, well before any of the current stuff, became current .... but I'd say, to try to keep to one brand ... if you mix and match parts and something goes wrong, everyone will play the blame someone else game .... and the one thing you don't want, is uncontained liquid in the middle of your pc .... so I wouldn't skimp out, or move it much afterwards either ...

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:07 AM

Hmm, if I recall, EK sells some custom loop kits that are decently priced if you want to try your hand at it first to make sure you're comfortable with the concept.

Otherwise, if you're ready to jump in, yeah, go with EK. I'm a big fan of their stuff, they make some of the best. I'm sure Bill would agree.

#4 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hey, and welcome to the custom loop club. Best choice I ever made for my rigs....and they can carry over to your next build if you drop the cash, and build a decent loop. My first one i built is going on 7+ years old, and still working great. Ek blocks are very nice, and I have my 1070 Seahawk, and my Ryzen Cpu blocked out with them. I have used 3 so far, swifttech, can't remember the one I used for my I7 build... lol, I will think of it and let you know, and now the EK blocks for my new build.

If you want to do hard lines, you will need a decent heat gun with several temp settings. You will need a tube bending kit, these often come with a tube cutter. You will need to practice to get the bends to come out right, trust me. Buy extra tubes, I would double what you think you need the first time around. Soft lines are much easier to work with..... fittings cost about the same for both hard and soft....but do some research, not all hard lines work with different fittings, and some hard line fittings are junk, and will leak. Make sure you get the right size ID, and OD tubes and fittings. Research!!! All and all I am very happy with my new build and going to hard lines over soft like I did with my last two loops, but some of the bends did not come out completely smooth.

Take your time regardless of either way you go..... and always do a leak test with another mother board hooked up, and connect the psu from the other computer to the pump and let it run for at least 12 hours, check for leaks. Do not plug in your main build with the water cooling to the psu, or have any power going to it till you know you are good with no leaks. Water cooling isn't rocket science, it just takes an eye for detail. Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 10 October 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#5 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 10 October 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

cant say I've done any builds with it for quite a few years, well before any of the current stuff, became current .... but I'd say, to try to keep to one brand ... if you mix and match parts and something goes wrong, everyone will play the blame someone else game .... and the one thing you don't want, is uncontained liquid in the middle of your pc .... so I wouldn't skimp out, or move it much afterwards either ...

Mix and matching is ok between brands, but make sure you do not use different metals...... they will mess your loop up and you will end up with corrosion. Other than that.... different brand rads, blocks, pumps are all fine. Just don't cheep out, and do lots of research! Copper is the way to go..... aluminum isn't. But what ever you do, go with one or the other, or metals that don't cause corrosion when used with each other.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 10 October 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#6 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Bill, yes i have been doing plenty of research and i am most likely going with EKWB, i found a MSi X299 block and GPU block i want to purchase for this build.

What about the Rad? I been looking at some and there was one, i think from Primochill? Slim 360/480 powder coated blue, i have a thing for blue parts, and was wondering, will the thickness of the Rad matter? I am contemplating on using 2 Rads in the build.

https://www.newegg.c...71705-_-Product

https://www.newegg.c...71677-_-Product

Kinda wondering if i would be able to use this with EKWB parts only

#7 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

Here are some of the parts i went with..... I picked Amazon, because newegg has a very limited selection on custom water loop parts the last time I checked. Last rad I had was a 320 slim line, it worked fine. The new on is much thicker, and seems to be extremely good on lower temps. Just make sure the metals will play well with each other. Don't use copper and aluminum in the same loop..... etc. If your case can swing a 320 rad, I would just do one, and it should be good up to a CPU and a GPU. I went over kill and got the 420 rad, and a thick one, because I built my own wall mount case and built it to fit what ever I wanted to put in it. Posted Image

For hard to find to parts, I used to use Frozen CPU....but they are now scam artist, owner went on a drug binge is the story. Don't use them! Danger Den is a great source for hard to find water cooling loops, and so is Mountain mods...... both I trust. Never had issues with either. I tried to get some hard to find parts from Frozen Cpu..... and I had to do a credit card stop payment.... worst experience ever!!!

And on another note, I still haven't got my $30 rebate on the MSI Seahawk 1070 card..... Its been since MAY! wtf??? lol.

The Rad you looked at looks ok.... copper and brass..... but it doesn't have 4 ports on it like the one I picked out. The one I showed here and went with has 4 ports out vs only 2, so if you want more options, like a drain port, or installing more things to your loop besides a GPU and CPU block, you need to think it through. The one I went with is on sale right now for only $110, I gave like $140 for it. It is thicker though.... not a slim one. I have never used that brand, but it looks like it would do the trick. Pick the right fans for it, they make ones for slim rads for better air flow, and ones for thicker rads..... research this!. lol

• XSPC RX480 Radiator V3 for Computer Water Cooling Systems (NEW Version 3)
  • Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 250, ICE Red Tube, Black POM Cap
  • Bitspower D5 MOD Package with POM TOP S (Black) and MOD Kit V2 (Matte Black)
  • Monsoon G1/4" to 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD Hardline Economy V2 Compression Fitting, Matte Black, 12-pack
  • Monsoon Hardline PETG Tubing 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD, 36" Length, Clear, 4-pack
  • Monsoon Hardline Silicone Bending Rod for 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD Tubing, Red
  • XSPC PETG and Acrylic Tubing Chamfer Tool

• 4/30/2017
    • Inv #Shipped
    • Ineligible for return

• Sold and Shipped by Newegg

• Order #331445018

$553.17

• Posted Image

• Posted Image

XSPC G1/4" Threaded T-Fitting (Black Chrome Finish)
        [color=#555555 !important]Sold by: KOOLERTEK (Family owned and operated in the USA)[/color]

Posted Image

XSPC RX480 Radiator V3 for Computer Water Cooling Systems (NEW Version 3)
        [color=#555555 !important]Sold by: TITAN RIG[/color]

Return window closed on Jun 16, 2017
        [color=#B12704 !important]$134.99[/color]

Posted Image

Monsoon Hardline Silicone Bending Rod for 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD Tubing, Red

[color=#B12704 !important]$8.49[/color]

Posted Image

Swiftech MCP655TM 12 VDC Laing D5 Vario Pump With speed controller
        [color=#555555 !important]Sold by: Sidewinder Computers[/color]

[color=#B12704 !important]$75.75[/color]

[color=#111111]

Posted Image[/color]
        [color=#111111]

Bitspower D5 MOD Package with POM TOP S (Black) and MOD Kit V2 (Matte Black)

[color=#B12704 !important]$101.99[/color][/color]

Posted Image

ABS 3Pcs Hardline Mandrel Kit 45°90°180° For Bend Rigid Tube 16mm
        [color=#555555 !important]Sold by: PC Coolings[/color]

[color=#555555 !important]Posted Image

Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Red
        [color=#555555 !important]Sold by: Amazon.com LLC[/color]

[color=#B12704 !important]$18.39[/color]

Posted Image

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X 8GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/3DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
        [color=#555555 !important]Sold by: STARLIT PARTNER Product question? [url="https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact/contact.html/ref=oh_aui__fbacsb_p0?ie=UTF8&assistanceType=order&marketplaceId=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderId=114-4301055-7057843&recipientId=A8AFHGL03OEF2&step=submitEntry&subject=2"]Ask Seller[/color]

[color=#B12704 !important]$432.99[/color][/color]

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 11 October 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#8 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

Custom Backplate i designed and submitted. This will be used on my 1080. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Internal Obedience XIII-omega, 14 November 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#9 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

And i found an error in my text description... Guess ill email back for the revisions Posted Image

#10 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

So i picked up EKWBs stuff and set up a test rig. Is there a gentle way, especially on the fingers, to tighten the compression fittings? I gave myself 2 blisters after doing the last one and man my fingers hurts. I thought about using hot water, but not too hot, and dipping the ends to soften it up and then screw/tighten the fittings.

#11 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Ummmm no there really isn't..... I am guessing you went with soft lines vs. hard lines? You can tighten them down by hand if you went with soft lines, and if they don't leak than you are all good. If they leak, either the fitting is bad, or you need to take a pair of channel locks, etc, and a piece of cloth or something so you don't mare the finish on the fitting and tighten a little more.

If you went with hard lines, there will be a tool included with the fitting.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 02 December 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#12 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

Ya soft lines for now cause i wanted to test it. I did use a needle nose and cloth for the last one. Im not worried too much about maring the fitting but i was gentle with the tightening. I was trying to post an image and i forgot how i did it using Imgur lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users