- - - - -

Should I Upgrade Or Buy?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

So i currently have an atlas AS7-D that i bought when the game came out because i didn't know better.. People keep saying that "insert any other variant" is better than the one i own. I haven't bought anything on him except skill points, double heatsinks and AMS.

Then i have the jaegermech that i just bought. Have bought nothing on him except skill points.

Now i currently have around 5 million credits. Should i start upgrading my atlas? Or should i forget about atlas and upgrade my jaegermech? Or should i let both of them sit and save for king crab?

My playstyle:
Slow big mechs with massive firepower. AC20 is my favorite weapon.

Poll here:
http://www.strawpoll.me/14125789

#2 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

try this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4df5709875a8e3b

or, if the config is too expensive, you can try this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4cfd1fd8a4c9bd5

Edited by Cyrilis, 12 October 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#3 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:09 AM

Your account says Member since 2015...game "came out" i.e. went public 4 years ago, sept 2013 out of closed beta that is.
Game is around (open beta) since oct. 2012.

Regarding the Atlas...do I get this correct ... you bought a single mech not a set of 3 or more ?
And what about the Jagermech. Is there also only one variant you own ?
If so, wich one ?
Honestly when asked wich to upgrade...non.
Both chassis are woefully out of date and not worth the investment.

Edited by The Basilisk, 11 October 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

I offer a tweaked AS7-D run. It's my favourite of the Atlases. The trick is the double barreled mech shotgun works as an Ac20, but with greater range and fire rate. Also sounds beautiful. Seriously though, if you enjoy the largest and stompiest of mechs, I'd say tweak the Atlas to your heart's content and use it to get more funds!

~Leone.

#5 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

With quirk reworks and skill tree investments, the AS7-D is a tanky, sturdy chassis that shouldn't be shrugged off just because it doesn't have the same bells and whistles as other, more recent assaults.

As for your poll? Honestly, work on the mech you are more comfortable playing. If you are better with the Atlas, then get it invest in it. If you've found you perform better with the Jager, well then, there you go. Focus on the chassis which YOU as a pilot perform better with. Put a terrible pilot in an amazing mech, you just have wasted tonnage. Put an amazing pilot in a horrible mech, you have a secret weapon.

The first link Cyrilis posted for the Atlas is dead sexy, I like that a lot, but this one is a bit more traditional AS7-D that I used for a while.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2545aab4e380dc

Good luck either way.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

Out of the two the Jagermech is the more consistent mech that can be built to attack at range and expose very little of itself doing so, making it the meta choice.

However, you state that you like using big mechs with massive firepower up close and that pretty much fits the bill for the Atlas perfectly.

Here's the build you'll want to work towards if you have the Atlas-D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb42a7d64a90f58

Fires 100 damage alpha strikes if you double tap the UAC20 and it can also overheat enemies up close by using the flamers to give you a large boost in brawls. I wouldn't want to be the guy who gets infront of it. Just be careful, you're a big target with a lot of firepower and the enemies would like to flank you or focus fire on you to take you out.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostGrim Pummeler, on 11 October 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

My playstyle:
Slow big mechs with massive firepower. AC20 is my favorite weapon.

for what you want the Atlas AS7-D is fine, yes King Crab, Anhalitor, Dire Wolf, Kodiak, AS7-S or AS7-D-DC could be better but the AS7-D is ok.

for what you want I would try something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...897c0843082180f
note, you should probably put a lot of that rear armor fowards, I just went with Smurfys default armor alocation, also there are 3 tons free, fill them as you see fit, maybe a Light PPC or an AMS, 1/2 ton ammo and 2 ML or extra ammo, or drop one heat sink for a pair of MPL would all be valid options.

the main concept of that is you fire everything then twist off to one side to spread damage, then twist back and fire again when the weapons are about ready to fire, then twist to the other side to spread damage.

if you add arm weapons you would want them on another group to avoid too much of a heat spike, and also because arm mounted weapons can track a target much better and faster than torso weapons.

that build should be pretty cheep as you only need a few DHS, 2 SRM6+A (artemus on an SRM6 tightens the spread significantly) the Snub Nose PPC.

it will rip Mechs apart in a few shots if it can get up close and if you fire and twist it will be able to tank A LOT of damage, major downsides are lack of long range weapons, and as it is an Atlas, you need to close without being noticed or you are dead, few players are foolish enough to allow an Atlas to close, Atlas are almost always short to mid range brawlers so people tend to try to pick them off from long range, do not let the enemy do that,

#8 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 11 October 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

The first link Cyrilis posted for the Atlas is dead sexy, I like that a lot,

Posted Image

Edited by Cyrilis, 11 October 2017 - 11:00 AM.

#9 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Okay, i play only quickplay. I just want to go in and out and just battle.

What i've seen with my atlas is that the LRM is kinda useless.. It mostly just misses the target or doesn't do enough damage to be useful (AMS pretty much renders it useless) Besides i've heard that a single LRM is not that great. Especially on atlas.

So i'm tempted to go twin SMR 6's on my atlas.

What i'm gathering from this thread is that you're favoring the snub nose PPC..
How does the PPC differ from the usual 4 medium lasers?

This kidna looks hawt:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4df5709875a8e3b

EDIT:
So currently i've been ONLY playing the AS7-D and i'm starting to get kills.
I think that you SHOULD know at least two mechs.. So then i searched the forums and everyone said that the jaegermech is a good ballistic heavy. So i gave him a shot. Bought the JMS-6 cause i couldn't afford any other variant. I've been also getting kills with the jaeger. But my atlas just survives longer. (well duh)
My main problem with the jaeger is that most of the time i'm just useless and waiting for closer combat brawls or waiting till i can flank their assaults.

The text i see the most with my jaeger is "killed by engine explosion".. Posted Image

But yeah i'm performing much better with the atlas. I guess my playstyle is big and slow with a close combat POW!

I might get the king crab after i get a solid build on my atlas.. As i said earlier, i'm still running with the stock build so the LRM is kinda just wasted tonnes. What i usually do is i'll just empty my LRM immediately in the back line and then charge in.

My playstyle with the jaeger is: sneak around and do peek a boo's

Why i'm tempted to buy the king crab? Twin AC20's burst. (which you can do with the jaeger too..)
My problem is: If i want to build any actual useful build what's being suggested, it'll usually cost like 10 million to do.. So i guess i'll just have to farm a little and wait patiently.

Edited by Grim Pummeler, 11 October 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#10 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

Well, if you are going for the brawl Atlas, usually more than 80% of the people will bloat out: "AS7-S: AC20+4SRM6A". I think thats boring, because everybody does so...

I went for the SNPPC because:

- it is something new
- you can't use a Light Fusion Engine (LFE) with 4SRM6A.
- compared to 4 mlas, they do pinpoint damage and they have the same range.

yes, they are hot (the longer cooldpown compensates a bit for that), but you will get used to it.

#11 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:06 AM

Jager for life. Atlas is too slow and King Crab is junk.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostGrim Pummeler, on 11 October 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

The text i see the most with my jaeger is "killed by engine explosion".. Posted Image

if you keep dying to engine destroyed in an Jagermech you most likely have an XL engine, with an XL you die to loosing 1 side torso, unfortunately the Jagermech has huge side torsos.

to remidy this put in a Light Fusion engine (can suvive 1 side loss but weighs more than an XL) or a Standard engine (weighs twice as much as an XL but can suvive loosing both side torsos) the problem there is you have to find more tons for a heavier engine, or to take a smaller engine making the Mech slower for the same armor and weapons.

the Jagermechs biggest problem is it needs to take multiple balistic weapons for maximum firepower but it does not have the tonnage for multiple ACs with max armor and a big engine, so you have to choose which you want to sacrifice,
in lore the Jagermech usualy sacrificed armor. In their stock configurations the 35 ton RVN-4x has more armor than the 65 ton JM6-S.
in MWO people usualy take an XL engine, although now the Light Fusion Engine is available that makes more sense

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 12 October 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#13 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Sounds like you want to focus on AC20's.

The AS7-D may be considered the worst against the other variants but its still a beast. 350 engine AC20, 2x SRM6, quad med laser is one of the oldest builds in the game and still works well. Invest in all the structure and armor nodes and wait for your chance to brawl.

Jagers can dual AC20, but ghost heat and lack of speed make it less lethal than it once was. Always liked quad AC5 for the range.

Crabs can dual 20 but piloting them can be a nightmare. So slow and wide, and those AC20's will be mounted low and wide. I'd get a Mauler over a Crab. Better hardpoint locations, a bit faster, a better mech overall than the Crab IMO, for dual 20's anyway.

Edited by Roughneck45, 12 October 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#14 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

*cough*
Cyrillis' second build has 3 tons unnecessary SRM ammo.

You could go with a targeting computer, more AC 20 ammo, or both.
Notably, the second two options max out your leg armor for greater durability.

#15 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 12 October 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

*cough*

upsie... right, thanks for the hint. I have changed that.

#16 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

Alright, i could do this build:
AS7-D
(This current build would cost me 3 million which i do have.)

And i have two slots left.. Should i go for third snub nose or two medium lasers? Or should i do something else?
I can't afford the engine change.
(Same build with light engine equates to 7 million.)

What do i achieve with the light engine vs std engine?
With std engine i'd have two spots left for something. With light engine i'll have no spots left.
With light i would have 10 tonnes left for use and with std engine, less than 5 tonnes left..

I could scrap the twin medium lasers and go targeting comp mk 2 to get more projectile speed.
It would be at 3,1 million mark.

Should i hit save?

#17 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

View PostGrim Pummeler, on 13 October 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Alright, i could do this build:
AS7-D
(This current build would cost me 3 million which i do have.)

And i have two slots left.. Should i go for third snub nose or two medium lasers? Or should i do something else?
I can't afford the engine change.
(Same build with light engine equates to 7 million.)

What do i achieve with the light engine vs std engine?
With std engine i'd have two spots left for something. With light engine i'll have no spots left.
With light i would have 10 tonnes left for use and with std engine, less than 5 tonnes left..

I could scrap the twin medium lasers and go targeting comp mk 2 to get more projectile speed.
It would be at 3,1 million mark.

Should i hit save?

I really would not recommend Snub Nose PPCs, they're hot and will just cause you to overheat and die in a brawl. On top of that the alpha potential isn't that great, you only do about 65 damage per alpha if you fire all the PPCs, you'll overheat if you do that so you're down to just a 45 damage alpha, lower than what most Medium mechs carry. You're also capped at that 270m optimal range, not much ability to poke out at enemies, you also are using an STD300 engine which is slow so that you'll be left behind. It just isn't good.

I'll recommend again this build I posted before and ask that you reconsider. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb42a7d64a90f58

Note the alpha strike potential of 100 damage if you double tap the gun, note how it runs much colder, note how you have the ability to put out 60 damage at over 500 meters, note that the mech moves much faster. Its just so much better, would be a waste of money to go with some snub nose PPCs, there's a reason not many people use them.

#18 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 13 October 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

I really would not recommend Snub Nose PPCs, they're hot and will just cause you to overheat and die in a brawl. On top of that the alpha potential isn't that great, you only do about 65 damage per alpha if you fire all the PPCs, you'll overheat if you do that so you're down to just a 45 damage alpha, lower than what most Medium mechs carry. You're also capped at that 270m optimal range, not much ability to poke out at enemies, you also are using an STD300 engine which is slow so that you'll be left behind. It just isn't good.

I'll recommend again this build I posted before and ask that you reconsider. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb42a7d64a90f58

Note the alpha strike potential of 100 damage if you double tap the gun, note how it runs much colder, note how you have the ability to put out 60 damage at over 500 meters, note that the mech moves much faster. Its just so much better, would be a waste of money to go with some snub nose PPCs, there's a reason not many people use them.

I will get the light engine because the speed is actually useful.
What i don't like in your build are the flamers. I'd rather get large lasers or large pulse lasers.

With the light engine build with ultra AC20, that's around 6 million credits. I guess i'll just keep grinding till i can afford to build my atlas all at once.

What also is lacking in your build is AMS.. I really love that thing.

My playstyle is up close and personal with bursty damage. I'll be useful to my team and actually get some kills too.
What i've seen mostly happen is that my medium range lasers feel pretty underwhelming.. A single shot with an AC20 hitting a light mech will obliterate them in one go. Medium lasers just.. scratch the surface a bit? The enemy has to be completely stationary in order for the medium lasers to do any effect and mostly i'm twisting and turning and trying to hit moving targets.. So a click boom weapon would be more of my style. I'd rather just alpha and twist.

That said, what i do like is SMR doing a burst to shred that armor off, finish them off with an AC20 blast.. But for the energy weapons.. Ehh.. Not quite sure what i should do. Some say pulse lasers deliver the damage better?

How would a pulselaser atlas work?

(By this point most veterans already know i don't really know what i'm talking about but i'm trying to learn.)

#19 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:38 AM

The flamers are included because no other energy weapons would really be of any use for the build, so you just have a couple flamers to overheat people who get close to you if you feel like it. Besides, a couple large lasers weighs 10 tons instead of the 2 I spent on flamers, you'd have to make some serious cuts to fit those in.

You could probably manage to do a 3 LPL + AC20 build with no missiles, would be pretty accurate though a bit lacking in range and overall damage and other mechs would just do it better.

Most of the time though the energy weapons of an Atlas are usually just there to shoot down the occasional UAV or as some utility, its not really a mech that favors much other than just running up with 70+ damage missile+ballistic alpha strikes that it can fire a few times in a row to rip apart a front line.

I tend to never use AMS myself, mostly a waste of my tonnage with how plentiful cover often is.

You could try out the UAC20+MRM build while still running a standard engine so that you don't run up your costs yet, but really an LFE350 is pretty much standard for the Atlas, it will work as a good basis for many builds you may come up with.

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:55 AM

for a pulse Atlas I would use them as backup weapons, not as part of the main Alpha Strike the major advantage of AC20+SRM6 (+ SNPPC in CT) is they discharge instantly so fire then twist, adding in lasers means you have to wait for them to finish discharging before you twist away.

if I were to use Pulse Lasers on an Atlas it would be LPL or MPL, and only in the arms.
2 SPL does not do enough to scare off Light Mechs, much less heavier Mechs and torso lasers are too slow to track Lights anyway.

a breif breakdown on what each type of laser does

Pulse lasers do more damage per shot than regular or ER Lasers, and also discharge faster, as they have the same recharge time you get a higher rate of fire with pulse, however they are heavier then regular or ER Lasers.

Small Pulse is short range but has the shortest discharge time of any laser, this makes them great for focusing your damage, and the laser of shoice if you are targeting realy fast Mechs like most Lights and lighter mediums
Med pulse is still relitively short range, but still has a fairly short burn time
Large Pulse is a good all round weapon, mid range and not bad burn time makes that a great weapon.

Pulse are what you take if you want to hit fast moving targets or if you have the regular lasers and spare tonage on any build.
regular lasers use less tonage but do not hit as hard, however they do have longer range, and generate slightly less heat
ER Lasers boast the longest range and weigh the same as standard lasers but generate the most heat

basicly I consider Pulse to be for targeting faster Mechs or for close in brawling, regular are general purpose, ER are for fire support

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users